Analyzing residuals PreviousNext
Mplus Discussion > Structural Equation Modeling >
Message/Author
 Michael Cheng posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 7:36 am
Is there a way to save residuals as data for analysis in another program? (e.g., SPSS)

Is there a way to reanalyze residual data in Mplus? I'd like to run a CFA and then an EFA on the residuals to analyze the parts of the model that don't fit well.

Thanks for your help, and have a great day.

Mike
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 8:10 am
If you mean residuals for each individual - no. You can request RESIDUAL in the OUTPUT command.
 Michael Cheng posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 12:12 pm
Thank you for your prompt reply.

Is there a way of saving the residual matrix as a datafile?

Is there a way to reanalyze the residual matrix within Mplus? For example, after running a CFA I'd like to analyze the residual output in an EFA.

Thanks again.

Mike
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 12:34 pm
You cannot save the residual matrix in Mplus. You could edit the output to create a file and analyze it using the TYPE option of the DATA command.
 Utkun Ozdil posted on Wednesday, June 08, 2011 - 2:18 pm
Hi,,

Does Mplus 6.1 provide a data file for Level 1 and Level 2 residuals?

If not how can we utilize Mplus in order to test the multilevel model assumptions for categorical outcome variables?

Thanks...
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Wednesday, June 08, 2011 - 5:24 pm
Which assumptions do you want to test?
 Utkun Ozdil posted on Wednesday, June 08, 2011 - 11:02 pm
Linda,, I want to test the independence of residuals for different levels and also the independence of residuals for different units in the same level.
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Thursday, June 09, 2011 - 6:27 am
What is your model?
 Utkun Ozdil posted on Monday, June 13, 2011 - 10:45 pm
I have a two-level structural model in which I test the relationships among 5 latent variables at the student level and 3 latent variables at the classroom level. The factor indicators which define the latent variables are categorical.

I also think to check multivariate normality, however, I would not be able to use MAHALANOBIS option of Mplus, since I have categorical outcomes.

For power analysis with categorical outcomes is Monte Carlo study appropriate or such simulation studies specific to continuous variables in Mplus?

Thanks...
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Tuesday, June 14, 2011 - 2:26 pm
There is no assumption of normality of categorical items. Categorical data methodology takes into account floor and ceiling effects.

Monte Carlo studies are appropriate for any scale type.
 Utkun Ozdil posted on Tuesday, June 14, 2011 - 10:04 pm
Thanks Linda,, I have a follow up question.
Mplus does not save a file for residuals.In order to test the independence of residuals for different levels and the independence of residuals for different units in the same level with respect to the two-level model above can I save residual files in SPSS and use it as a .dat file in Mplus?

Or there is no need to test these assumptions with categorical factor indicators using Mplus?

Thanks...
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Wednesday, June 15, 2011 - 9:55 am
Mplus does not give residual on the unit level.
 Wendy Rote posted on Thursday, August 14, 2014 - 12:21 pm
Is it still the case that Mplus is not able to save factor residuals at the individual level? Dyer, Day, & Harper(2014) claim to have saved residuals using Mplus 7.11 for later analysis in SPSS, but I cannot determine how to do so myself.
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Thursday, August 14, 2014 - 3:18 pm
Where is that paper published?
 Wendy Rote posted on Thursday, August 14, 2014 - 4:05 pm
Journal of Family Psychology, Vol 28, Issue 4, pgs 516-528.
 Wendy Rote posted on Friday, August 15, 2014 - 12:23 pm
The first author of the paper got back to me about this: To save residuals he sets the residual of a DV/indicator to 0, creates a latent variable with no indicators, and regresses the DV/indicator onto the new latent variable setting the regression weight to 1. The latent variable then equals the residual and you can save the "residual" by saving the factor score of the latent variable with 'Fscores'.
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Friday, August 15, 2014 - 4:17 pm
That does it.

I'd be interested in seeing the paper - perhaps you can send it.
 S.Arunachalam posted on Saturday, September 27, 2014 - 4:22 am
Hi Wendy Rote. May I kindly request you for the MPlus codes please because I am unable to follow the steps you mention.
e.g. I have a latent variable (LV) with three indicators. This LV is a dependent variable Y in the model. So to get the residual of this LV after being predicted by say another independent variable X which also latent with three indicator. i.e.
Y by y1 y2 y3;
X by x1 x2 x3;
Y on X;
After this could you please complete the code to capture the residual of Y please? Thanks a ton in advance.
Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: