Dual/multi-core processor PreviousNext
Mplus Discussion > Structural Equation Modeling >
Message/Author
 Maria Caridad García-Cepero posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 11:39 am
I just bought a new computer (AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+)
I am not sure how to take advantage of the Multi-processing speed gains. Do I have to do a special set up for MPLUS or MPLUS 4.21 automatically does?
I have notice that when I run my models (for instance I am running some MIMIC models with zero-inflated poison endogenous indicators in a sample of 4000 subjects) that I am only using one of the processors but never two. Is it normal?
Thanks
Caridad
 Thuy Nguyen posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 11:59 am
Yes, Mplus only uses one processor by default. You need to specify the number of processors Mplus should use with the PROCESSORS option in the ANALYSIS command.

For example:

ANALYSIS:
process=2;
 Matthew Cole posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 7:23 pm
Fantastic!

This really speeds up the analysis, particularly when running the mixture analyses with random starts.
 Spencer James posted on Friday, February 17, 2012 - 7:31 am
Is there a limit to how many processors Mplus can/will use?
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Friday, February 17, 2012 - 1:43 pm
No.
 Anonymous posted on Thursday, July 05, 2012 - 10:55 am
I have a quad-processor desktop with 4MB, and would have assumed that the maximum number of processors I could run would be 4. However I tried 8 and this seemed to work. Should this be?
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Friday, July 06, 2012 - 11:19 am
We have no way of knowing how many processors a computer has. If you say you have more than you do, this could cause Mplus to run inefficiently. You should state the number of processors correctly.
Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: