Slope as a predictor? PreviousNext
Mplus Discussion > Structural Equation Modeling >
Message/Author
 Jiangang Xia posted on Thursday, December 01, 2016 - 9:31 pm
I have been trying to model a cross-level relationship's effect on level-1 or level-2 outcomes. For example, the relationship is between school principal's influence on decision-making and teacher's influence on decision-making. Here the relationship could be estimated through a 2-level model. My question is, how to if I want to model the relationship's effect on teacher job satisfaction? The relationship is already a slope. I am considering a random slope model that the relationship varies by a higher level such as school district. Could we use this random slope to predict other outcomes such as teacher job satisfaction? If so, how? Should I save the random slopes as a level-3 variable and then run a new regression, or I could directly model this slope's effect? Would appreciate for any thoughts.

Jiangang
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Friday, December 02, 2016 - 5:32 pm
If you have 3-level modeling a random slope defined on level 2 can be used to predict outcomes on level 3.
 Jiangang Xia posted on Friday, December 02, 2016 - 8:54 pm
If I have a 3-level modeling, could I use this random slope to predict a level-1 or level-2 outcomes?
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Saturday, December 03, 2016 - 11:41 am
The random slope defined on level 2 varies across the units of level 3. This means that this random slope can predict level 3 variables, for instance the level-3 part of the variation in variables measured on level 1 or level 2. That's how multilevel modeling works.
 Jiangang Xia posted on Saturday, December 03, 2016 - 4:04 pm
I just want to confirm whether a random slope defined on level 2 varies across the units of level 3 could predict level-1 or level-2 variables. You know the focused outcomes are usually measured at lower levels.
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Saturday, December 03, 2016 - 4:17 pm
My answer stands.
Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: