Difficulty of learning SEM PreviousNext
Mplus Discussion > Structural Equation Modeling >
Message/Author
 adamlevine posted on Sunday, July 29, 2018 - 7:35 pm
Difficulty of learning structural equation modeling

I'm completing a masters thesis on a patient communication education intervention designed to facilitate physician-patient communication. I'm proposing that changing constructs within the health belief model and social cognitive theory will impact patient communication (several constructs within this), which in turn will impact outcomes of the medical encounter (e.g. patient-centeredness of the encounter, but there are also several constructs within this), which in turn will modify treatment adherence and ultimately biomedical health outcomes.

This seems like it would be amenable to structural equation analysis (if this doesn't seem to be the case, please say so). However, for the thesis, I'm supposed to conduct the statistical analyses myself, and will need to justify myself to statisticians. After some preliminary reading, I think I'm going to need to look into alternative analytic methods, but I figured I'd seek input here. How difficult would it be to self-learn structural analysis, coming from a background of having taken only introductory stats?

Thanks in advance for any input
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Monday, July 30, 2018 - 3:38 pm
It seems like SEM could play a role in your work but at the same time it seems like a tall order to learn SEM well enough in time for completing your Masters unless you have someone to guide you with the analyses.

You need to know at least regression analysis to be able to get into SEM. You can check the video and handout from our Topic 1 Short course on our website and see if you can follow it - or intro books that are mentioned there. You can also consult SEMNET.
Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: