Linear SEM with Mediation/Moderation PreviousNext
Mplus Discussion > Structural Equation Modeling >
Message/Author
 Rieke Heeringa posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2018 - 3:15 am
Dear readers,

In order to test for predictors (14) of suicidal ideation (Y), I have conducted a multivariate linear regression and found some significant predictors (A, B and C, all continuous).

The aim of the research was to see there is mediation/moderation in the relationship between a significant predicting concept (X) and suicidal ideation (Y).
Therefore, I also did a MLR with my predictors on X and found a significant effect of D (dichotomous), E, A and F (continuous).

Based upon the literature, I expected a mediation effect of predictors G, B and C (all continuous) and a moderating effect of predictors H, I and J (all dichotomous).

Therefore I did the following:

1. A model with all predicted mediators (G, B and C);
Model: Y on G B C
G B C on X
Model indirect: Y ind TB
According to RMSEA, CFI and TLI the model fit is suboptimal. Based upon bootstrapping results, I did find a significant effect of predictors B and C.
- Can I interpret these even though the model fit is not significant, and if so, how do I interpret them (what does the outcome mean)?

(1/2)
 Rieke Heeringa posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2018 - 3:16 am
2. Three separate models with the predicted moderators (H, I and J);
Model: Y on
X (b1)
H (b2)
XH (b3) (where XH = X*H)
None of the interaction terms were significant.
- Is this due to H, I and J not showing up as significant on the MLR?
- Can I put these together in the same model? Or will this not affect anything?

3. I was planning on making one model with all of the hypotheses together, but I'm not sure if that's possible/helpful when most of them turn out to be non-significant. Could you help me out on this point?

4. Finally, I was planning to do an explorative analysis and check whether my significant predictors from the MLR (A, B and C and maybe even D, A and F) could be a mediator/moderator in the relation between X and Y.
- Is it possible to check this when there is no prediction about them being a moderator/mediator?
- Can I do this with all these variables when only A loads on both X and Y?
- Is this possible using SEM?
- If so, how do I do this.

I absolutely realize I have a lot of questions. I have been studying the various manuals, topics, online information and youtube, but still remain a bit clueless. I would like to thank you with the most sincerity for taking the time to read and answer my questions.

Thank you

(2/2)
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2018 - 1:50 pm
These general analysis strategy questions are better suited for SEMNET. When you post it there, I recommend that you make sure to describe what "TB" is and why you talk about "A, B, C"; "E, A, and F"; as well as G, B, and C" - that's confusing to me at least.

Also, we ask that postings be limited to one window. For longer Mplus-related questions, send to Support along with your license nmber.
 Anna Lee posted on Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 5:12 am
Thank you, and my apologies for the inconvenience. Maybe it's best to delete this topic then? I'm not sure how to do so though.
Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: