Interaction term in multigroup modeling? PreviousNext
Mplus Discussion > Structural Equation Modeling >
Message/Author
 Anh-Thuy Le posted on Saturday, June 08, 2019 - 4:36 pm
Hi all,
I am very new to these analyses and was wondering, if I am trying to do multigroup modeling rather than moderated mediation, should I still include the interaction term in the multigroup commands? Or would it simply be the syntax for a mediation model using the "Grouping" command? Thank you!
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Sunday, June 09, 2019 - 4:37 pm
The interaction is taken care of in the multigroup analysis in that the groups differ in their regression coefficients. See also our RMA book on multiple-group analysis of regression and mediation models.
 Sabrina Krys posted on Tuesday, July 28, 2020 - 1:37 am
Hi!

I am conducting a moderated mediation analysis (categorical moderator) and wonder whether the multi-group analysis (examination of mediation in four different groups = categories of the moderator) has less power than the interaction approach. Is there a difference in power with these approaches? How could the interpretation look like if a moderated mediation is significant, but the mediation in none of the four groups is significant? Do you have any references for this?

Thank you!
Best wishes
Sabrina
 Sabrina Krys posted on Tuesday, July 28, 2020 - 1:45 am
Edit: In the moderated mediation analysis, the moderator is dichotomous. In the multi-group analysis we further splitted the grouping variable into four categories.
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Wednesday, July 29, 2020 - 3:32 pm
I think the 2 approaches should have the same power. I have no references; perhaps SEMNET does. If mediation is not significant in any of the groups, so despite taking moderation into account, you have to just say that there is no mediation.
Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: