Heckman, Stixrud, and Urzua (2006) mo... PreviousNext
Mplus Discussion > Structural Equation Modeling >
Message/Author
 Hongbo Wang posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 4:13 pm
Dear Dr. Muthen:
Can Mplus fit an endogenous-loading factor model that is adopted by Heckman, Stixrud, and Urzua's 2006 Journal of Labor Economics paper (v.30(3)). It accounts for the effects of schooling choice and background variables on the measurements of two factors. The authors used Fortran-based MCMC code to do the job. My question is: Do you think it is fully doable using Mplus, which no doubt is much more user friendly?

Thanks for you help.
Hongbo

Best,
Hongbo
 Hongbo Wang posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 4:24 pm
Follow-up on my previous post:

The model assumes two latent factors, one for cognitive ability and the other for non-cognitive ability. Conditional on family background and other individual characteristics, the two factors are stipulated to generate cognitive and non-cognitive test scores (e.g. AFQT and Rosenberg Self-esteem scale), and also cause dependence among a wide range of labor market and behavioral outcomes.
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 6:44 pm
I will take a look at this article when I get a chance and get back to you.
 MJ posted on Tuesday, December 08, 2015 - 6:34 am
Hello Dr. Muthen,

Can you please tell us if is it possible to implement the model mentioned above in Mplus.

Thank you!
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Tuesday, December 08, 2015 - 5:51 pm
I am not familiar with the Heckman, Stixrud, and Urzua (2006) model - Part I - where was that published?
 MJ posted on Tuesday, December 08, 2015 - 5:58 pm
Here is the link to the paper.
http://jenni.uchicago.edu/papers/Heckman-Stixrud-Urzua_JOLE_v24n3_2006.pdf
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Tuesday, December 08, 2015 - 6:21 pm
That's too much for me to wade through. But if you can summarize the model you are interested in using just a few statistical equations I could tell you.
Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: