Topic 7 Multilevel Modeling with late... PreviousNext
Mplus Discussion > Structural Equation Modeling >
Message/Author
 Chee P. Lin posted on Monday, April 06, 2009 - 8:31 am
Dear Dr. Muthen,

I attended Topic 7 Multilevel Modeling with latent variables using M-Plus workshop at Johns Hopkins, I have a little question on slide pp141 of your presentation.
The categorical variables are u1-u6, they were treated as categorical factor indicators on the WITHIN level. However, on the between level, they were continuous latent variable. May I know why is that so? Appreciate if you could advise. Also where could I find the example data sets used in the presentation?

Thanks

Paul
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Monday, April 06, 2009 - 10:28 am
On the Between level u1-u6 are random intercepts and therefore continuous latent variables varying across Between-level units.

The example is on the Mplus CD for UG ex 9.9 and also on the Mplus web site under Documentation.
 Huang Wu posted on Thursday, June 21, 2018 - 8:15 pm
Hi, Dr. Muthen,

I have some questions regarding multilevel mediation analysis with latent variables.

The mediator(M) is in first level and is an latent variable. I want to investigate the x(second level) effect on y(first level) through M(first level). How should I specify the model? I have tried many times, the software told me that the within level factor cannot be used on between level, in this situation, do I need to define an between level factor? Please help, thanks
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Friday, June 22, 2018 - 3:49 pm
Yes, define a between factor. You might want to hold loadings equal across levels.
 Huang Wu posted on Saturday, June 23, 2018 - 11:05 am
thanks, Do I need to hold the effect of M on Y in between level as the same as the M on Y in within level?
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Saturday, June 23, 2018 - 5:28 pm
No, they are likely to be different.
Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: