1-1-1 mediation model with random slopes PreviousNext
Mplus Discussion > Multilevel Data/Complex Sample >
Message/Author
 Marina Milyavskaya posted on Wednesday, July 31, 2013 - 7:05 am
Hi,
I am trying to run a 2-level mediation model - I copied it directly from syntax provided by Preacher (http://www.quantpsy.org/pubs/syntax_appendix_081311.pdf), using the 1-1-1 model with random slopes, and am running into some problems:
When I first tried to run the model, I got a fatal error message: "THIS MODEL CAN BE DONE ONLY WITH MONTECARLO INTEGRATION."
I then inserted ALGORITHM = INTEGRATION and INTEGRATION=MONTECARLO into the analysis section, but again I got a series of error messages (for both my x and my mediator):
" *** ERROR in MODEL command
Observed variable on the right-hand side of a between-level ON statement must be a BETWEEN variable. Problem with: T1GMOT1"

Any suggestions for how I can fix this?
Thank you for your help!
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Wednesday, July 31, 2013 - 9:31 am
Please send the output and your license number to support@statmodel.com.
 Elizabeth Solberg posted on Monday, June 27, 2016 - 1:42 pm
Hi, I am having a similar problem to the one described above when running the 1-1-1 MSEM with random slopes model provided by Preacher et al (2010). I have narrowed the problem down to the lines of syntax at the beginning of the %between% section, where estimates for the variances and covariances are requested. If I add the independent (x) variable to any of these statements, I get the fatal error message: "THIS MODEL CAN BE DONE ONLY WITH MONTECARLO INTEGRATION." If I remove the x variable the model runs normally (although I do get a warning that estimation has reached a saddle point).

I would greatly appreciate any guidance on how to deal with this. Thank you very much.
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Monday, June 27, 2016 - 7:35 pm
Have you tried running it as suggested

ALGORITHM = INTEGRATION;
INTEGRATION = MONTECARLO;
 Elizabeth Solberg posted on Monday, June 27, 2016 - 11:55 pm
Thank you for the prompt response, Bengt.

If I run it with Monte Carlo integration I get the following error message:

*** ERROR in MODEL command
Unrestricted x-variables for analysis with TYPE=TWOLEVEL and ALGORITHM=INTEGRATION
must be specified as either a WITHIN or BETWEEN variable. The following variable
cannot exist on both levels: X

X is a within-level variable. However, if I specify it as such, then I cannot use it on the between level as is needed to carry out the Preacher et al syntax.

Thanks again for your help.
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 1:49 pm
You can create a cluster-level variable for x using the CLUSTER_MEAN option of the DEFINE command and use this on between.
Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: