Multilevel SEM Examples PreviousNext
Mplus Discussion > Multilevel Data/Complex Sample >
Message/Author
 Anonymous posted on Monday, January 28, 2002 - 11:43 am
I am working on a two level SEM model (unbalanced data). I am new user.
I have couple questions:
1. Is it possible to define a variable that designates those clusters with few number of cases in them so that I can run the analysis without them using USEOBSERVATIONS command?
2. Is the estimation method mentioned in Appendix 10 (page 380 of the User's guide) called MUML not included in the software at this moment?
3. Is there any articles/books that uses the software and goes through a twolevel example other than the ones I found in the Mplus web pages?
4. More specifically, what kind of constraints are required in twolevel analysis for any model to be identified? I am getting the message that one of the Beta parameters is problematic, causing underidentification? How can I fix that?

I am not sure these questions were raised before. Thank you very much for your time.
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Monday, January 28, 2002 - 12:49 pm
1. Unless you have a variable that contains information about cluster size, I can't think of a way to do this.
2. MUML is the estimator used for TWOLEVEL when the data are unbalanced. If the data are balanced, it is Maximum Likelihood
3. I believe that the following book contains Mplus examples. Heck, R. (2001). Multilevel modeling with SEM. In G.A. Marcoulides & R.E. Schumacker (eds.), New Developments and Techniques in Structural Equation Modeling (pp. 89-127). Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
4. I can't answer your idenentification problem without seeing the input/output and data if possible. Please send them to support@statmodel.com.
 Anonymous posted on Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 10:31 am
I had a handful of questions about Mplus’ mulitivariate covariance structure analysis (MCSA) after reading Bengt’s 1994 SMR piece.

First, Bengt writes (pg. 388): “…If all intraclass correlations are close to zero, as is the case for many applications, it might not be worthwhile to go further…”. I was under the impression that hierarchical / multilevel modeling is *always* preferable to non-hierarchical modeling, for various reasons (see for example, Gelman et. al., 1995). Is Bengt’s point that one wouldn’t expect to see much improvement in the Level-1 coefficients if the ICCs are close to zero, or rather that obtaining convergence is sufficiently difficult that any gains in parameter estimation are probably not worth the tremendous amount of effort that would be required to build the model / obtain convergence (etc.) ?

Second, on the Mplus MCSA approach in general: am I correct in understanding that the Mplus / Muthen approach is a SEM analog to the HLM / empirical Bayes approach to hierarchical modeling ?

Third, and related to the second question above: in implementing MCSA in Mplus when using individual data as inputs, does Mplus always work from a “constructed” set of variance / covariance matrix ? Perhaps what I’m trying to understand here is if the Mplus approach to MCSA be conceptualized in another manner (i.e., Bayesian / probability notation) rather than that of fitting a variance / covariance matrix that has within and between components (and requires the estimation of St, Spw, and Sb matrices) ? (I ask only because for some reason the notation of Gelman et. al. seems a bit more intuitive to me at this point).

Finally, regarding the FIML and MUML estimators described in Bengt’s 1994 SMR piece: are the current Mplus 2.14 estimators of the same name identical to FIML / MUML as described in the article ? Is the Mplus ML option for MCSA the same as the FIML option in the case of unbalanced cluster sizes (or could you provide a citation describing the difference between the FIML, MUML, ML as applied in Mplus’ MCSA module) ? I’ve scanned the Mplus Papers / Recent Publications listing on the front of the web page and nothing seemed applicable here.

Thanks very much.
 bmuthen posted on Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 11:16 am
Good questions. Things will become clearer as I finish an overview paper later this summer on FIML capabilities in Mplus.

Regarding the first question, yes I was thinking pragmatically. The parameter estimates and the SEs may not be that different - and convergence can be problematic.

Second question. Since the introduction of FIML in version 2.1, the approaches are analogous for the models that they both do - e.g. models with no latent variables. With the older MUML approach, we only had random intercepts, not random slopes. And, no missing data.

Third question. Between and within matrices are only used for MUML, while for FIML the raw data need to be used in order to handle random slopes and missing data. With the more general models that FIML includes, one can also describe the models using the Baysian conditioning style, level 1 given level 2, etc.

Final question. MUML is the same. The FIML algorithm is different in that in the earlier approach FIML was done in standard SEM software simply by using as many between cov matrices as there were distinct cluster sizes.

- Hope that gives sufficient answers for now. More in the forthcoming papers.
 Anonymous posted on Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 4:44 pm
Thanks very much.

As a follow-up to your responses above (I may have one more in a bit): MUML is still (i.e., as of Mplus 2.14) the only method in Mplus to handle unbalanced clusters / "Level-2" units ?

I hope you'll be putting the paper you mention up on the Mplus website when you're finished.
 bmuthen posted on Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 4:56 pm
No, FIML in Mplus (since version 2.1 of May 2002) handles the general case of unbalanced clusters, i.e. where different clusters have different number of members.

Yes, the paper will be posted on the home page with examples that can be run.
 Anonymous posted on Saturday, August 09, 2003 - 6:35 am
I had a pair of questions when I run a multilevel structural model.

(1)for random intercepts model, the result presented the warning message:

THE MODEL ESTIMATION DID NOT TERMINATE NORMALLY DUE TO A NON-ZERO
DERIVATIVE OF THE OBSERVED-DATA LOGLIKELIHOOD.

CONVERGENCE CRITERION FOR THE MODEL IS NOT FULFILLED. CHECK YOUR STARTING
VALUES OR INCREASE THE NUMBER OF MITERATIONS. ESTIMATES CANNOT BE
TRUSTED. THE LOGLIKELIHOOD DERIVATIVE FOR PARAMETER 12 IS
-0.49269400D+00.

My command file as follow:

TITLE: multilevel regression analysis

DATA:
FILE IS "C:\d1.dat";

VARIABLE:
NAMES ARE subject group y1 y2 x z1 z2;
USEVARIABLES ARE group y1 y2 x z1 z2;
CLUSTER IS group;
MISSING ARE ALL(999);
WITHIN = x;
CENTERING = GROUPMEAN(x);
BETWEEN = z1 z2;

ANALYSIS:
TYPE IS TWOLEVEL RANDOM MISSING;

MODEL:
%WITHIN%
y2 on y1;
y2 on x;
y1 on x;

%BETWEEN%

y1 on z1 z2;
y2 on z1 z2;

(2)For random slopes model:
MODEL:
%WITHIN%
y2 on y1;
s1|y2 on x;
s2|y1 on x;

%BETWEEN%

y1 on z1 z2;
y2 on z1 z2;
s1 on z1 z2;
s2 on z1 z2;

Such as the follow warning massege was gaven:

THE ESTIMATED BETWEEN COVARIANCE MATRIX IS NOT POSITIVE DEFINITE AS IT
SHOULD BE. COMPUTATION COULD NOT BE COMPLETED.
PROBLEM INVOLVING VARIABLE ZCPSOC.
THE RESIDUAL CORRELATION BETWEEN ZCPSOC00 AND ZCPSOC IS 1.000

THE MODEL ESTIMATION DID NOT TERMINATE NORMALLY DUE TO AN ERROR IN THE
COMPUTATION. CHANGE YOUR MODEL AND/OR STARTING VALUES.

Please tell me how handle those problems.
Thank you very much.
 bmuthen posted on Saturday, August 09, 2003 - 7:19 am
For the first issue, I recommend following the advice in the error message. The derivatives should be zero for all parameter estimates, but one is far from it, so the "miterations" should be increased. This error message may be an indication that this parameter (#12 - see Tech1 output) is hard to estimate, that is, it is ill-defined from the data for this model.

For the second issue, I assume that you have used generic variable names, and not your actual variable names, in the input you give - the error message talks about other variables and I assume they are the 2 y variables, that is the between part of y, i.e. the y intercepts. If I am correct, the error message implies that the y intercepts correlate perfectly when having accounted for z1, z2.

If you want, please send your input, and data to support@statmodel.com.
 Anonymous posted on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 10:52 am
I am working on a multilevel SEM. At the within level 'sp' predicts 'mot'. At the between level 'lcb' predicts 'ppp' which predicts 'mot'. In other words I want to estimate the effect of between level factors on the individual level factor, 'mot'. I am not sure what to do with 'sp' in the between model. Reading p. 299 of V2. User'########, I think that I should fix the indicators of 'sp' to 0 in the between model. When I do this by fixing these variables to 0 on one of the Level 2 factors, e.g, 'ppp', then the results aren't what I would expect. If I create a new factor, 'spb' in level 2 and fix the indicators to 0 on this factor, then the results seem more like what I would expect. My code for the latter would be:

TITLE: LCB TOTAL TWO-LEVEL TRIAL 1
DATA: FILE IS C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\LCB\lcb2.dat;
FORMAT IS A21, 3F11.0, 11F11.4, 2F13.4, 3F11.4, F11.2, F11.5,
F8.2;
VARIABLE: NAMES ARE project courseid ugorgrad contenta lcbelief lcnonstu
lcnontch posint fclp cllnd chlres indsoc sposint sfclp scllnd
schlres sindsoc se tasmas pergoal finalgra zfinalgr
stpp_com;
CLUSTER IS courseid;
BETWEEN = lcbelief lcnonstu lcnontch posint fclp cllnd
chlres indsoc;
USEVARIABLES ARE schlres sindsoc sposint sfclp scllnd se
tasmas pergoal lcbelief lcnonstu lcnontch posint fclp cllnd
chlres indsoc;
MISSING = .;
ANALYSIS: TYPE = TWOLEVEL;
MODEL: %WITHIN%
sp by sposint sfclp scllnd schlres sindsoc;
mot by se tasmas pergoal;
mot on sp;
%BETWEEN%
lcb by lcbelief lcnonstu lcnontch;
ppp by posint fclp cllnd chlres indsoc;
spb sposint@0 sfclp@0 scllnd@0 schlres@0 sindsoc@0;
ppp on lcb;
motb by se tasmas pergoal;
motb on ppp;

Is this correct, if I am not interested in estimating 'sposint' 'sfclp' 'scllnd' 'schlres' and 'sindsoc' in the between level model?

Thanks in advance.
 bmuthen posted on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 11:43 am
The easiest way to get rid of sp indicators on the between level is to put them on the

Within =

list in the Variable command. That says that they don't have variation across between units.
 Yi-fu posted on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 7:06 am
Hi, Dr. Muthen,

It's good to see new Mplus out. I am impressed about the ability of handling multilevel model in the new Mplus.

I am trying models of multilevel SEM using Mplus 3.01. I found the output is different from what appeared in Heck's (2001) article. First, I can't find chi-square or for the model. Second, I found STANDARDIZED in OUTPUT seems no working, since there is no standardized coefficients shown in the output. Is there any way to get this information?
Besides, can the formulas in appendix 10 in previous Mplus manual apply to random slope model in Mplus 3.01? I am preparing a paper for a conference, so just curious about the formulas and mathematical part of this kind of model in Mplus.

Thanks in advance!
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 7:42 am
Ron Heck used the MUML estimator not maximum likelihood. That is why the output is different. With random slopes, you do not get a chi-square or standardized values because the variance changes. The appendices cover Version 2 not Version 3. The technical appendices will be updated as time permits.
 Yi-fu posted on Monday, June 14, 2004 - 8:05 am
Dr. Muthen,

Thanks for your reply. I wonder if you can provide me the reference for random slopes and two level model in Mplus. Besides, I am also puzzled about how to interpret the output. Here is part of my output:

--------------------------------
Between Level

S ON
INDEX_1 0.425 0.018 23.764
EFF3_1 -0.370 0.026 -13.977

DEL3 ON
EFF3_1 -0.082 0.065 -1.252

Intercepts
CONTROL 24.183 0.153 157.710
WM1 29.864 0.160 187.122
IR1 12.403 0.100 124.388
DEL3 5.323 1.801 2.955
S 8.587 0.691 12.420
--------------------------------------------------

S is the random slope for del3 ON pare in within model. Pare is a latent variable with three inidcators.
Could I use the following equation to interpret the model?

del3=5.323 - 0.082Eff3_1 + 8.587pare
+ 0.425 (pare*Index_1) - 0.37 (pare*Eff3_1).
 bmuthen posted on Monday, June 14, 2004 - 10:25 am
Yes, that would be the equation predicting del3, so using the average s value. Note that s also has a residual variance.

The reference you ask for is Asparouhov and Muthen 2003a (in preparation) with the working title given in Muthen (2004) on the Mplus web site.
 Anonymous posted on Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 12:40 pm
I have one question when I run a two-level path analysis as follows:

TITLE: two-level path analysis with continuous dependent variables
DATA: FILE IS c:\e1.dat;
VARIABLE: NAMES ARE y1 y2 x1 x2 w clus;
USEVARIABLES ARE y1 y2 x1 x2 w clus;
WITHIN = x1 x2;
BETWEEN = w;
CLUSTER IS clus;
Missing = .;
ANALYSIS:TYPE = TWOLEVEL;
MODEL:
%WITHIN%
y2 ON y1 x2;
y1 ON x1 x2;
%BETWEEN%
y2 y1 ON w;

I got the error message as follows:
*** ERROR
This analysis is only available with the Multilevel or Combination Add-On.

I would greatly appreciate it if I could hear from you soon. Thank you so much.
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Wednesday, September 29, 2004 - 3:55 pm
You must have the Base program and the Base plus the Mixture Add-on. Multilevel is not available with these programs.
 suppawan posted on Friday, October 15, 2004 - 6:26 am
Dr. Muthen,
Can Mplus version 3 allows for multilevel SEM with non recursive model, and is there any example or references that explain in this issue?
Thank you so much.
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Friday, October 15, 2004 - 10:11 am
Yes. We don't have an example but you can modify a recursive model.
 Kerry Englert posted on Tuesday, December 21, 2004 - 8:10 am
Hello,
A colleague and I are new to MPlus but attended several days of your short courses. We would like to replicate one of the analyses that you did in class for the multigroup multilevel model using the NELS:88 data set. I looked through the website but couldn't find it. Are the data on the website or could we get a copy of the data?
Thank you so much.
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Tuesday, December 21, 2004 - 11:12 am
It's not available on our website. It can be ordered because it is in the public domain. We could send you the subset of the data we worked with, but it would probably be best for you to go back to the original data if you are going to do any serious research.
 Marcus Butts posted on Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 8:04 am
Dr. Vandenberg sends his regards and suggested I post this question here. I’m working on a multi-level dataset and came up with a conceptual/practical question I thought you may be able to provide advice about. We have longitudinal data (3 time periods) at the store level for 21 stores; however, not all of the same individuals filled out the survey at all three time periods (but the same stores did). We have DVs at the individual level (e.g., empowerment) and group level (e.g., store performance). We would like to run a multi-level model growth model; however, because we are restricted by sample size (N=21 at store level) we are thinking of running some type of cohort design analysis. My questions are: 1) can we run a multi-level growth model cohort designt level, 2) what are the caveats for taking a 'cohort design' approach, and 3) can you point me to an example? Thanks in advance for your time and consideration.
 bmuthen posted on Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 4:22 pm
It sounds like you want to have a type=twolevel model with cluster=store ("Between" in Mplus) and individuals spread over time points as Within. And, it sounds like on Within you want to have multiple cohorts of sets of different individuals - I assume for the same 21 stores. I haven't seen this done, but I think it can be done. But first let me ask if I am understanding you correctly.
 Anonymous posted on Tuesday, March 15, 2005 - 7:50 am
Hello,
in some of your papers I read that MUML is useful with unbalanced groups and small sample sizes. So, I used this estimator to compute multilevel CFAs. But the tech1 output looked quite different with MUML than for the default ML-estimator. Is this a problem of the program or is the model calculated really different?

Thank you very much!
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Tuesday, March 15, 2005 - 8:35 am
With balanced data, MUML is ML. With unbalanced data it is not. The TECH1 matrices will look different as the model is set up differently. The results should not look that different.
 Anonymous posted on Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 11:01 am
Hello, I'm new to Mplus and I'm slowly trying to build my way to a complex multi-level path model. For some reason, I get the following error message:

*** ERROR
One or more between-level variables have variation within a cluster for
one or more clusters. Check your data and format statement.

This is simply not true: I can check it 'manually', looking at the data, but i also know from the way level 2 variable was created that it is impossible. So I must be doing wrong something else. I'll be very grateful for your suggestions/advice.
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 11:23 am
You are most likely reading your data incorrectly. This sometimes happens in free format if you have blanks in your data. Check the data set for blanks. If you can't see what is happening, send the data and input along with your license number to support@statmodel.com and I will sort it out.
 Marcus Butts posted on Friday, March 25, 2005 - 9:37 am
In regards to the multi-level cohort design I mentioned, you are correct in your understanding. We have 21 different stores (with hundreds of individuals in each store) across 3 time periods (although the individuals are different at each time period, but the stores are the same). Thanks.
 bmuthen posted on Friday, March 25, 2005 - 9:47 am
Are all the individuals different at the different time points? I assume no, since you were talking about multiple cohorts which suggests longitudinal data.
 Marcus Butts posted on Monday, March 28, 2005 - 2:59 pm
You are correct. Not all of the individuals are different at each time period. For each store, we do have quite a few indivdiuals that we know took the survey at time 1 and time 2, and time 2 and time 3 (and we can assume some took it all 3 time periods, but we don't have that information because we just asked about the previous time period and we didn't track individuals). At time 2, 50% of the sample had taken the survey at time 1. At time 3, 44% of the sample had taken the survey at time 2.
 BMuthen posted on Saturday, April 02, 2005 - 8:34 pm
I will get back to you on this after April 19 if you repost this to remind me. This is a research topic that Mplus is looking into.
 Anonymous posted on Friday, April 08, 2005 - 2:49 pm
I'm been running some simple random coefficient models in Mplus and HLM6.0. The model involves a random coefficient pertaining to a Level-1 dummy variable X.

I've noticed that, for clusters which don't contain both values of the dummy variable X, HLM6.0 appears to drop the entire unit from analysis. Its not clear what Mplus does in this situation, however. As a result, although my Mplus and HLM6.0 results are similar, they appear (from the HLM6.0 and Mplus outputs) to have been performed on slightly different sample sizes.

Would you provide some guidance as to how Mplus handles situations where the random coefficients pertain to dummy variables in situations where both values are not evident in some clusters ?

Thanks.
 BMuthen posted on Sunday, April 10, 2005 - 2:48 am
Mplus does not drop these clusters because they contribute to the ML estimation of the intercept. Perhaps the differences you see are due to using REML rather than ML in HLM or because of different convergence crtieria.
 Augustine Hammond posted on Thursday, June 09, 2005 - 1:35 pm
Hello,
I am a new user to Mplus running a Multilevel (individuals nested in schools) SEM model and would need help with the syntax for the second level. The school level variables I intend to include are “School Risk” (measured Rhsfree) and “School Location” (measured as urban). Both are dichotomous variables and I want to estimate their slopes and intercepts on “Perception” (measured as percept1)” and “Attitude” (measured by utq41a utq41b utq41c utq41d). I would be most grateful, if you would help me in the writing of the syntax. I am looking forward to hearing favorably from you. Below is my Input for the Level one analysis. Thank you.

INPUT INSTRUCTIONS
TITLE: Diss
DATA:
FILE IS "C:\Mplus Files\Diss67.dat";
FORMAT IS 79F8.2;

VARIABLE:
NAMES ARE Crsswlk ms7dist ms8dist hs9dist
Rhsfree utq39 utq40 utq41a utq41b
utq41c utq41d n2q49 n2q50 n2q51a
n2q51b n2q51c n2q51d upq40c
n1q44cp7 n1q44c_7 n1q44c_8
n1q44c_9 AGE sex anyuse1 anyuse2
anyuse3 anyuse4 anyuse5 Urban
Mdelig rutq40 rn2q50 rage8 rage9
percept1 percept2 percept3 percept4
percept5 white latino black other
deviance rpercp1 rpercp2 rpercp3
rpercp4 rpercp5 ATTITUD1
ATTITUD2 treatms stressms ethnic
Asian Amind othrace misrace
Region upq37a upq37b upq37c
upq37d upq37e upq37f upq37g
upq37h q10c tq10c eq10g n1q7g
n2q7g q10f tq10f eq10j n1q7j n2q7j instper;

USEVARIABLES ARE utq41a utq41b utq41c utq41d rutq40
n1q44cp7 percept1 latino black other age sex
anyuse1 deviance;

CLUSTER IS hs9dist;
MISSING IS blank;

ANALYSIS:
TYPE IS COMPLEX MISSING H1;
ITERATIONS = 1000;
CONVERGENCE = 0.00005;

MODEL:
attitude BY utq41a utq41b utq41c utq41d;
attitude ON rutq40 percept1 anyuse1 deviance;
percept1 ON rutq40 n1q44cp7 latino black other
age sex anyuse1 deviance;

OUTPUT: RESIDUAL STANDARDIZED MODINDICES;
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Thursday, June 09, 2005 - 3:02 pm
The examples in Chapter 9 cover multilevel analysis. Instead of COMPLEX, you would want TWOLEVEL. And then you want to specify the within and between parts of the model. See Example 9.6 to get started. School-level variables should be listed on the BETWEEN statement of the VARIABLE command. Chapter 14 contains a section that describes special options for two-level models. You should also read this.
 Augustine Hammond posted on Monday, June 13, 2005 - 1:28 pm
Thanks very much. As a follow-up, I tried following Example 9.6 but I received an error message saying “This analysis is only available with the Multilevel or Combination Add-On”. Reading through the responses to some of the questions posted at the Discussions page, I realized the problem is possibly due to the fact that I have the Base program or the Base plus the Mixture Add-on that do not have Multilevel. Please, is there a way for me to get the program that have Multilevel? Thank you.
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Tuesday, June 14, 2005 - 9:24 am
Yes, you would need the appropriate add-on to do the analysis. You can contact sales@statmodel.com to see what you would have to do to upgrade to the Base Program and the Multilevel Add-On.
 Wender Wang posted on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 6:05 pm
Hi, Dr. Muthen:
I tried to simulate a two-level CFA model with M-plus and the within level population parameters are exact same as a paper. I have 15 indicators predicted by 3 factors in within level. In between level model, I have 2 factors and 10 indicators. M-plus always gave the
error message that "THE ESTIMATED WITHIN COVARIANCE MATRIX IS NOT
POSITIVE DEFINITE AS IT SHOULD BE. THE VARIANCE OF w2(one between level
indicator) APPROACHES 0." In fact the population variance of w2 is .5. I did not know how to make sure the covariance of two-level CFA model could be inverted and computable and do you have any suggestion in terms of how to set up valid population parameters of 2 level SEM model for large covariance case? I also attached my code in the following. I very appreciate your help.

montecarlo:
names are x1-x15 w1-w10;
nobservations = 500;
ncsizes = 1;
csizes = 50(10);
seed = 58459;
nreps = 500;
save=c:/p/1/m*.dat;

ANALYSIS: TYPE = TWOLEVEL ;

MODEL POPULATION:

%WITHIN%
y1-y3@1;
y1 BY x1@.7 x2@.7 x3@.75 x4@.8 x5@.8;
y2 BY x4@.7 x6@.7 x7@.7 x8@.75 x9@.8 x10@.8;
y3 BY x1@.7 x11@.7 x12@.7 x13@.75 x14@.8 x15@.8;

x1@.51 x2@.51 x3@.4375 x4@.36 x5@.36 x6@.51 x7@.51;
x8@.4375 x9@.36 x10@.36 x11@.51 x12@.51 x13@.4375 x14@.36 x15@.36;
y1 WITH y2@.5; y2 WITH y3@.3; y1 WITH y3@.4;

%BETWEEN%
yb1-yb2@1;
yb1 BY w1@.8 w2@.8 w3@.75 w4@.7 w5@.7;
yb2 BY w1@.7 w4@.7 w6@.8 w7@.8 w8@.75 w9@.7 w10@.7;
w1@.51 w2@.51 w3@.4375 w4@.36 w5@.36 w6@.51 w7@.51 w8@.4375 w9@.36 w10@.36;
yb1 WITH yb2@.6;
MODEL:
%WITHIN%
y1-y3;
y1 BY x1 x2 x3 x4 x5 ;
y2 BY x4 x6 x7 x8 x9 x10;
y3 BY x1 x11 x12 x13 x14 x15;

x1-x15;
y1 WITH y2; y2 with y3; y1 with y3;

%BETWEEN%
yb1-yb2;
yb1 BY w1*.1 w2 w3 w4 w5;
yb2 BY w1*.1 w4 w6 w7 w8 w9 w10;
w1-w10;
yb1 WITH yb2;
output:
tech9;
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 6:51 pm
What you have specified is that the population residual covariance of w2 is .51. If you have a problem deciding on population values, you might want to look at Example 11.7 in the user's guide.
 wendy posted on Tuesday, May 23, 2006 - 10:11 pm
Hi, Dr Muthen:
I very appreciate your response and I have a question for simulating a 2 level CFA model with different ICC conditions of .2 and .3. For example, I have a 2 level CFA model with 2 factors y1& y2 at within level and yb1 & yb2 at between level respectively and y1 is correlated with y2 and yb1 is correlated with yb2, each of them predicts 3 indicators. M-plus would give intraclass correlation for 6 indicators finally and I do not know how to control ICC as one condition to simulate data? Sometimes ICC for different indicators vary significantly. Whether we need to check the average of the ICC of the six indicators or is there alternative method for calculating unique ICC? For example my model has 2 related factors yb1 and yb2 at between level and how to calculate ICC in this case? Someone recommends to change the between level factor variance and I do not know whether it works?
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 8:19 am
By changing between-level factor or factor indicator variances, you change the ICC's. You can look at the Monte Carlo examples for Chapter 9 that come on the Mplus CD to get an idea of how this works. You can also just try changing the variances and see how this affects the ICC's.
 wendy posted on Friday, May 26, 2006 - 7:48 pm
Hi, Dr. Muthen:
I am running a 2-level SEM model and the output did not show CFI and SRMR shows total value and within level value. Do you know how to explain this? Does that mean CFI is not meaningful in multilevel SEM model?
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Saturday, May 27, 2006 - 6:51 am
If you get chi-square, you should get CFI and TLI. Perhaps the baseline model did not converge. SRMR is given for the between and within parts of the model.
 wendy posted on Saturday, May 27, 2006 - 3:24 pm
Dr. Muthen:
Thanks for your comments. I think probably my 2-level CFA model has the convergence problem although it has very good parameter estimates and hence results did not show CFI and TLI. Again, I still has problem with simulating a valid 2-level CFA model. Mplus always indicates that THE MODEL ESTIMATION DID NOT TERMINATE NORMALLY DUE TO AN ILL-CONDITIONED FISHER INFORMATION MATRIX. My model should be appropriate and I tried several different starting values, however, this did not work. Example11.7 is different from my case since it reads data from a real dataset. I need to simulate data using population parameters. I just wonder is there any formula or empirical population parameters example I could use for generating a valid 2-level CFA model. Thanks. Additionally, I am still confused at ICC for 2 level CFA model. Suppose I have 6 indicators in my between level model, 6 intraclass correlations are shown for first replication, do you know the formula and how to calculate them? ICC is between level variations over total variation.
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Saturday, May 27, 2006 - 3:54 pm
The Mplus CD you got also contains Monte Carlo versions of each of the examples in the User's Guide. I think ex 9.6 might be close to what you want.

An ill-conditioned information matrix may imply that the model you specify is not identified.
 wendy posted on Saturday, May 27, 2006 - 6:33 pm
Dr.Muthen:
I run Mplus Monte Carlo versions of ex9.6 and it did not give CFI and TLI. My 2-level CFA simulation model has the equivalent problem; it shows Chi square, RMSEA and SRMR. I just wonder whether Mplus program did not give CFI?
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Sunday, May 28, 2006 - 6:31 am
I didn't realize that you were referring to a Monte Carlo output. We don't do CFI and TLI with Monte Carlo because it requires running a baseline model at each replication in addition to the regular analysis.
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Sunday, May 28, 2006 - 6:35 am
You can get CFI and TLI if you do this as an external Monte Carlo. See Example 11.6 in the Mplus User's Guide.
 Bridget Goosby posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 8:04 am
Dear Dr. Muthen,
I am running multilevel SEM analyses using the TYPE=COMPLEX MISSING command along with the stratification, cluster, and weight commands. The analyses terminate normally providing the fit indices, however I cannot get standardized estimates or latent r-squares. Are these calculations not available when using the multilevel analyses?
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 8:10 am
Do you have the STANDARDIZED option in the OUTPUT command?
 Bridget Goosby posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 8:41 am
Yes, I do include standardized in the output command.
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 8:52 am
Then you will need to send your input, data, output, and license number to support@statmodel.com so I have more information to answer your question.
 Bridget Goosby posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 8:54 am
Ok, thanks!
 Huang Xiaorui posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 7:03 am
i am doing two-level analysis. i am very surprised that when i delete the 'mcp with mautive'(the model required), the chi-square reduce from 51647.675 to 29.439, and the model fit change from 0 to 0.980. such a large change makes me confusing.why these happen? thanks in advanced.

MODEL:
%within%
effort by pmeff tmeff;
impul by pmimp tmimp;
effort on mautive mcp;
impul on mautive mcp;
edrad on effort impul;

mautive with mcp;
effort with impul;
tmimp with tmeff;

tmimp with edrad;
tmeff with edrad;

%between%

tmimp with tmeff;
tmimp with edrad;
tmeff with edrad;
edrad;
tmimp;
tmeff;
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 7:50 am
You should not put WITH statements in the model for covariates. When you do this, distributional assumptions are made about these variables. Covariates should be mentioned only on the right-hand side of ON.
 Mary Terzian posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 9:37 am
I have a question about estimating multiple group, multilevel SEM models. I'll start with a conceptual description. If you need the code, I can send you this.

I have nested data, with students nested in classrooms. There are 28 classrooms and 480 students. I wanted to run multilevel models to test the effects of two classroom-based interventions (total effects for X1 and X2) and also test the indirect effects of the program via theoretical mediators (A*B). I used the type=two level command.

One of my research questions is: Are indirect effects moderated by gender (moderated mediation). However, when I tried to do a multiple group model, with grouping = gender and cluster=classroom, the model would not run. I was told this is because of problems with the covariance matrix-perhaps because more than one gender is represented in each cluster. Is this correct? Is there anyway to get around this?

Also, I was unable to test indirect effects when I included the intervention variables as predictors in the level 2 (or between-level) equations (all other predictors were included in the within-level model). So, I included them in the within-level equation with the rest of the fixed effects. This is not ideal because the intervention was delivered at the classroom level. Did I do something wrong, or is this a glitch with the type=twolevel program?

Mary Terzian
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 11:07 am
Please send your input, data, output, and license number to support@statmodel.com so we can see exactly what is happening.
 abg posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 11:18 am
I have a question about multilevel SEM models where level-1 variables only appear as outcomes of level-2 variables. Children are nested within classrooms (T4ADULT T4IGNORE T4PSOLVE T4PASSV T4REVENG T4VICT are child-level vars). Is this the correct way to specify such a model?

USEVAR ARE TID T4ADULT T4IGNORE T4PSOLVE T4PASSV T4REVENG T4VICT PARb SEPb INDb AVb ASb PUNb T4NMb T4AAb T4AVb;

BETWEEN = T4NMB T4AAB T4AVB ASb INDb AVb SEPb PUNb PARb;

CLUSTER = TID;

Model:
%within%
T4VICT on T4PASSV;
T4VICT on T4PSOLVE;
T4VICT on T4ADULT ;
T4VICT on T4REVENG;

%between%
T4PASSV on PARB;
T4IGNORE on PARB PUNB;
T4PSOLVE on PARB INDB;
T4ADULT on PUNB;
T4REVENG on SEPB AVB;
SEPB on PUNB T4AVB;
ASB on PARB T4AAB;
AVB on T4AVB;
T4AVB on T4NMB;

THE LOGLIKELIHOOD DECREASED IN THE LAST EM ITERATION. CHANGE YOUR MODEL AND/OR STARTING VALUES.

THE MODEL ESTIMATION DID NOT TERMINATE NORMALLY DUE TO AN ERROR IN THE COMPUTATION. CHANGE YOUR MODEL AND/OR STARTING VALUES.

A MATRIX COULD NOT BE INVERTED DURING THE BASELINE MODEL ESTIMATION. THE ESTIMATED BETWEEN COVARIANCE MATRIX IS NOT POSITIVE DEFINITE AS IT SHOULD BE. COMPUTATION COULD NOT BE COMPLETED.
THE VARIANCE OF T4PASSV APPROACHES 0. FIX THIS VARIANCE AND THE CORRESPONDING COVARIANCES TO 0, DECREASE THE MINIMUM VARIANCE, OR SPECIFY THE VARIABLE AS A WITHIN VARIABLE.
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 8:16 am
It seems you have no variability of t4passv on the between level. You should do a TYPE=BASIC TWOLEVEL; and look at the ICC for that variable. If it is small, you should put the variable on the WITHIN list and remove it from the between part of the model.
 abg posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 1:30 pm
Thanks very much. I'll do that.
 Stephan posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 9:24 pm
Hello,apologize for this long questions. I’m investigating the relationship between married couples. 3 end. LV measure ‘satisfaction’,7 exog. LV are influence factors. However, there are 3 systematic differences which could have an effect on all variables. These are ‘Motives’ of marriage. Let’s say “Forced by family”, “Money” and “Love”. My model contains cluster = country of origin.
(…)
Variable: Names Are x1-x40 Mo1-3 Clus;
Usevariables Are x1-x40 Mo1-M03 Clus;
Between = Mo1-Mo3;
Cluster Is clus;
Analysis: Type = Twolevel;
Model:
%Within%
F1 By x1@1 x2-x4;
(…)
F4 By x17@1 x18-x20;
(…)
F1-F3 ON F4-F11;
%Between%
F1a By x1@1 x2-x4;
(…)
F4a By x17@1 x18-x20;
(...)
F1a-F3a ON F4a-F7a;
F1a-F7a ON Mo1-Mo3;
(...)
Question 1: Is it correct not to use the ‘Whithin Is’ statement?
Question 2: Does it make sense to regress all latent variables in the %between% statement on the 3 Motives that might influence group differences?
Question 3: Or would it be better to use these 3 motives as cluster variables. (Cluster = 1,2,3) But how should I, in that case, implement ‘country’.
Question 4: Or should I use LCA (with c=3) and then regress all IV & DV latent variables on c? Any hint is highly appreciated.
-Stephan
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 9:24 am
I would create two dummy variables and use them as covariates.
 J.W. posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 1:57 pm
In multilevel modeling, it is usually assumed that a lower level unit (e.g., student) is nested within only one higher level unit (e.g., school). However, in some hierarchically structured data (e.g., snowball sample, chain referral sample, RDS sample, …) individuals are likely to be nested in multiple personal networks; e.g., A is in B’s network, as well as in C and other’s networks. In such data, difficulty of identifying a unique higher level unit for each individual makes multilevel modeling difficult. Is there any way in Mplus to handle observation dependence in such data? Thank you very much for your help!
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 3:09 pm
This is referred to as crossed random effects and is not yet available in Mplus.
 Stephan posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 4:05 pm
Hi Linda,
thanks for the response. So, do you think that there’s no nested structure?
However, I am interested in model path coefficients of those who married because of love and those who have been forced etc. My hypothesis is that in case of ‘force’ all coefficients are statistical not significant, in case of ‘money’ significant but lower as in case of ‘love’, however.
Thanks a lot for your help. Cheers, Stephan
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 5:21 pm
I don't see there is any clustering related to the categories unless there is something you are not saying. It sounds like people are in one of three observed groups. You can either use two dummy variables or multiple group analysis.
 Stephan posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 2:09 pm
Hi Linda,
Yes, that's it. Sorry - I've mixed up multiple group and multi level analysis. Thanks a lot for the advice. -Stephan
 Holmes Finch posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 7:49 am
Hi,

I would like to simulate multilevel data for a CFA problem and then estimate the CFA with a non-hierarchical model. I see how to simulate the multilevel data for the CFA situation, but when I try estimating the model with the non-hierarchical model I get an error message saying I need to use either %Between% or %Within%. I've tried both and get different results. My question is, which should I use to analyze the data in the naive (non-hierarchical) way, or is there another approach that I'm missing? Thanks very much.

Holmes
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 8:00 am
Please send your output and license number to support@statmodel.com.
 Hsien-Yuan Hsu posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 1:17 pm
Dr. Muthen,

As for CFI in multilevel model, how does Mplus identify "baseline model"?? Any document or any information I can find here?
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 3:57 pm
The baseline model is the means and the between and within level variances of the dependent variables.
 Kerry Englert posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 12:52 pm
Hello, I am considering doing a multilevel model with NAEP data. I have used HLM in the past but was wondering how or if MPlus could accomodate plausible values. Thank you.
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 2:43 pm
I think plausible values is multiple imputation. If so, Mplus does not create the datasets but can analyze them correctly using TYPE=IMPUTATION;
 Ralf Kuja-Halkola posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 11:29 pm
Hi,
I'm running a two-level SEM in Mplus 4.2. I use a dichotomous variable both at within- and between- level but the version doesn't seem to support this, my question is whether the latest version suports this? I want to use the "CATEGORICAL =" command for the variables, but I get the answer that

"*** ERROR in Analysis command
ALGORITHM = INTEGRATION is not available for multiple group analysis.
Try using the KNOWNCLASS option for TYPE = MIXTURE."

If I upgrade, will this be possible?
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Tuesday, November 04, 2008 - 10:05 am
The error message refers to the fact the you need to use the KNOWNCLASS option instead of the GROUPING option for multiple group analysis with ALGORITH=INTEGRATION. This is still the case. It has nothing to do with the CATEGORICAL option.
 Ann-Marie Faria posted on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 11:36 am
Hello- I am running an SEM model with nested data (students within classrooms) and trying to create a latent factor of school readiness (srw by Eclr Eltr Enmbr Eshp Esize and srb by Eclr Eltr Enmbr Eshp Esize)- I am getting an error report similar to the one posted on August 9,2003.

THE ESTIMATED BETWEEN COVARIANCE MATRIX IS NOT POSITIVE DEFINITE AS IT
SHOULD BE. COMPUTATION COULD NOT BE COMPLETED.
PROBLEM INVOLVING VARIABLE ECLR.
THE CORRELATION BETWEEN ENMBR AND ECLR IS 0.994
THE CORRELATION BETWEEN ENMBR AND ELTR IS 0.996
THE CORRELATION BETWEEN ESHP AND ENMBR IS 0.994

THE MODEL ESTIMATION DID NOT TERMINATE NORMALLY DUE TO AN ERROR IN THE
COMPUTATION. CHANGE YOUR MODEL AND/OR STARTING VALUES.

I am confused - because I thought having high correlation between indicators of a latent factor was positive because they are all indicators of the underlying construct. Could you please help me interpret this error message. Thank you.
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 1:43 pm
Factor indicators should for the same factor should correlate. But factor indicators that correlate one are statistically indistinguishable and contribute nothing above each other.
 Joykrishna Sarkar posted on Thursday, May 21, 2009 - 11:32 pm
How can I define the baseline model in Mplus? In other words , how can I get the parameter estimates for baseline model in Mplus?
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Friday, May 22, 2009 - 6:12 am
You would need to specify the baseline model in the MODEL command.
 Unai Elorza posted on Wednesday, August 26, 2009 - 6:36 am
Hello,
I am a newcomer to Mplus and multilevel modeling. I am testing a 2=>1=>1 mediation analysis: level 2 variable contributing to a level 1 mediator which, in turn, contributes to a level 1 dependent variable. All of them are observed variables. When I try to interpret the output file, I have three different types of standardized coefficients: STD, STDY and STDYX. One of them (STDYX) gives me a one std coefficient higher than 1 (all correlations are lower than 1; there are no covariances higher than 1). So, my questions are:
1) Which std parameters should I take into account?
2) Having a coefficient higher than 1, means that Heywood problem is arising in the test? How could I overcome it?

Thank you very much in advance.
Unai
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Wednesday, August 26, 2009 - 12:03 pm
1. STDYX is used for continuous covariates. STDY is used for binary covariates.

2. With more than one covariate, a regression coefficient can be greater than one. You should always check for Heywood cases.
 M Hamd posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2010 - 11:29 am
Dr. Muthen

I am running a MSEM model which terminates normally (no negative variances or other errors). It is a 1-1-2 mediation model such that X->M->Y.

However, the correlation between two of the latent variables (more specifically, X and M) at the group level is very high (.97) while at the individual level is much lower (.23).
Q1: Does this indicate problems in the data? Or is it Normal for level-2 correlations to be higher.

Moreover, the standardized path coefficients between "X and Y" and "M and Y" are 4 and 3 respectively. Karl Joreskog suggests this is ok, but may indicate multicollinearity. However, the VIFs (for individual-level variables) are fine.

q2: Is there some other error i should explore for before concluding there results are fine?

q3: Is there some other source besides Joreskog that I can use to argue that in multilevel models std coefficients greater than 1 are not necessarily a problem?
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Thursday, April 29, 2010 - 8:09 am
It sounds like you have the same model on both levels, in which case the high X, M correlation on the between level could cause the multicollinearity that does produce standardized slopes greater than one. The between level also specifies a regression so the issue is the same as in regular regression - so you don't need any extra arguments beyond Joreskog.

It is common for between-level variables to correlate much higher than within. This has to do with the topic of ecological correlations.

Perhaps you want to have only M->Y on the between level. Then the intercept of M still influences the intercept of Y and therefore the individual's Y.
 M Hamd posted on Thursday, April 29, 2010 - 9:33 am
Dr Muthen

Thank you.
Actually my model is like this:

%within%
m on x;

%between%
m on x(a);
y on x;
y on m(b) ;

MODEL CONSTRAINT:
NEW(ab);
ab = a*b;

As you will see by 1-1-2, I meant, Y is purely between-level variable, and x and m are free to exist at both levels.

When i set Y on X@0; the path coeff are no longer greater than 1.0.

I guess, I will cite Joreskog to argue that std coeff > 1.0 are not an issue in this case.

Thank you very much for your response.
 Stacey Conchie posted on Monday, November 08, 2010 - 1:57 am
Hi,
I'm trying to estimate a 1, (1,1), 1 MSEM (two mediators, all measures taken at L1), but get the error warning of a non-positive definite fisher information matrix, possibly due to starting values or model nonidentification; and SEs that cannot be computed due to problems with para25. I've tried a few things (deleted clusters with no variance; set variances to zero), with little success. Para25 is the relationship that the DV has with itself (wb in the syntax below) in the psi matrix. I'm not sure what this means, or what I should do to correct for it? I've copied my syntax below. There are no missing data in the variables used in the model. Any help would be appreciated. Stacey

ANALYSIS:
TYPE IS TWOLEVEL RANDOM;
ITERATIONS = 1000;
CONVERGENCE = 0.01;
MODEL:
%WITHIN%
WB ON CT(BW1);
WB ON AF(BW2);
C|WB ON TFL;
CT WITH AF;
CT ON TFL(AW1);
AF ON TFL(AW2);
%BETWEEN%
C CT AF WB;
C WITH CT AF WB;
WB ON CT(BB1);
WB ON AF(BB2);
WB ON TFL;
CT WITH AF;
CT ON TFL(AB1);
AF ON TFL(AB2);
[C];
MODEL CONSTRAINT:
NEW(ABW1 ABW2 ABB1 ABB2 CONW CONB);
ABW1=AW1*BW1;
ABW2=AW2*BW2;
ABB1=AB1*BB1;
ABB2=AB2*BB2;
CONW=ABW1-ABW2;
CONB=ABB1-ABB2;
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Monday, November 08, 2010 - 6:15 am
Please send the output and your license number to support@statmodel.com.
 Tobias Koch posted on Wednesday, November 10, 2010 - 10:01 am
Hi,

I'm working on a ML-CFA with two correlated factors on each level. I would like to use the new bayes estimator and set invers wishart priors for specific variance/covariance matrices. For example, for the residual covariance matrix and/or for the covariance matrices of the latent factors. How can I access specific covariance matrices in the model command, so that I can refer to them in the model prior command later on? Put differently, is it feasible to set priors for entire covariance matrices or only for single parameters in the covariance matrices? If it's possible to refer to entire covariance matrices with priors, where can I find examples of it.

Thank you very much,

Best regards
 Tihomir Asparouhov posted on Wednesday, November 10, 2010 - 4:14 pm
You can set prior for the entire covariance matrices or for individual parameters.

For examples look in Section 2.2.2
in

http://statmodel.com/download/BayesAdvantages18.pdf

The actual input/outputs are in

http://statmodel.com/download/examples55.zip
 Peter Halpin posted on Wednesday, February 02, 2011 - 6:36 am
Hi,

I have a question about multilevel SEM that I can't seem to find an answer to in the manual. Basically, I want to regress a latent variable at the within level on a latent variable at the between level .

For example, I want to regress "student attitudes" (for which I have a measurement model at the within level) on "teaching style" (for which I have a measurement model at the between level). If both variables were manifest, I would want student attitudes to have random intercept model and use teaching attitudes as a between level predictor.

So I am thinking of something like:

%between%
y1 by t1-t5;

%within%
y2 by s1-s5;
y2 on y1;

Is this possible? To have a heirachical model for a latent variable? Any advice here would be greatly appreciated,

Peter.
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Wednesday, February 02, 2011 - 10:57 am
You cannot use a within-level variable in the between part of the model. You would need to remove t1-t5 from the WITHIN list and create a both y1w and y1b and regress y2 on y1b.
 Peter Halpin posted on Monday, February 07, 2011 - 3:57 am
Thanks Linda! For anyone with a similar interest I ended up with something like this and it worked. Also see Example 9.9

%between%
y1 by t1-t5;
y2_b by s1-s5;
y2_b on y1;

%within%
y2_w by s1-s5;
 N Andrew Cohen posted on Friday, May 20, 2011 - 3:58 am
Hi,

I am trying to construct a two level path analysis with variables x, y, z and a cluster variable a. All are observed. X is a between variable. y and z are measured at the individual (within) level but as potential outcomes, can operate at either the within or between levels. I wish to test the following model:

%within%
z on y;

%between%
z on y x;
y on x;

However, when I run it, I get an error:
"Observed variable on the right-hand side of a between-level ON statement
must be a BETWEEN variable. Problem with Y."

Yet, this seems similar in structure to example 9.5 in the user's manual (V6, April 2010). And, I don't want to restrict Y to be a between variable given the within model.

Can you help?

Thanks.
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Friday, May 20, 2011 - 6:02 am
I think you can avoid the message by mading a latent variable that is exactly the same as the observed variable y.

%within%
z on y;

%between%
f BY y;
y@0;
z on f x;
f on x;
 Hemant Kher posted on Wednesday, August 17, 2011 - 7:19 pm
Greetings Linda and Bengt,
I have a question on my multilevel model in MPlus. I am trying to replicate results from Applied Longitudinal Data Analysis (Singer & Willett, page 163, Model D). Dependent variable is CESD, and my two independent variables are Unemp, and monBYun. In this model the intercept, as well as the slopes for the independent variables are to have both fixed and random components. The code I used to fit this model is:
%within%
s1 | cesd on unemp;
s2 | cesd on monBYun;
%between%
cesd with s1 s2;
s1 with s2;
The model fits, but my results are slightly different from the results listed in the book (or for that matter obtained using SAS or MLWin). Results are given below.
Intercept [MPlus=11.135; Book=11.267] / Intercept var [MPlus=42.779; Book=41.52]
Unemp slope [Mplus=6.985; Book=6.8795] / Unemp Var [MPlus=33.269; Book=40.45]
monBYun slope [MPlus=-0.300; Book=-0.3254] / monBYun Var [MPlus=0.758; Book=0.71]
Res. Var [MPlus=60.379; Book=62.43]
These results are for Model D; using the same data but different variable combinations, I fit 3 other models (A, B, C) and the numbers are identical (to 3 decimal place rounding). The mean intercept and slopes for Model D are fairly close as shown above, but, difference in variance, especially Unemp seems larger. I have used the same estimator (ML) as used in prior models on the data. Is my code in error by any chance?
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Wednesday, August 17, 2011 - 8:51 pm
Don't their Model D have a main effect of Time, whereas it looks like you only have the interation of Time and Unemp.
 Hemant Kher posted on Thursday, August 18, 2011 - 6:02 am
Hi Dr. Muthen, Model D excludes the main effect of time (page 173); the only covariates are Unemp and monBYun (interaction between time and Unemp).

As mentioned in the post, the model has a random effect for each fixed effect.

Hemant
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Thursday, August 18, 2011 - 7:54 am
You are right.

The page 163 results don't show covariances among the random effects, but I assume they are included in their modeling. A first check is if the same number of parameters is used - Mplus shows this clearly in the output.

Next, you can check if the loglikelihoods (LL) agree. They give the Deviance which is -2 times the LL. Perhaps either their run or the Mplus run can sharpen its convergence criterion and get a better LL with agreement of estimates.
 Hemant Kher posted on Thursday, August 18, 2011 - 8:32 am
Hi Professor Muthen, I am grateful for your time on my question.

The LL value for the MPlus model I ran was -2547.997. Thus -2LL=5095.994; on page 163 of the book the deviance for the same model is 5093.6. These values are very close, but not identical.

I also checked the SAS (v9.2) output for the same model on UCLA’s ATS website. SAS results are identical to those reported in the book including -2LL. From the output it appears as though there are 10 parameters estimated in SAS. My MPlus output tells me “Number of Free Parameters 10”, thus the number of parameters estimated is the same as well.

As a side, from the ATS website, only the results from MLWin and SAS are consistent for Model D. Remaining software packages, MPlus, Stata and SPSS give estimates that are close yet different. Stata had difficulty calculating standard errors for variance / covariance parameters.
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Thursday, August 18, 2011 - 9:30 am
The SAS deviance translates to LL = -2546.8 so that it a little bit higher than the Mplus LL. You can try a sharper Mplus convergence criterion saying

mconvergence = 0.00001;

in the Analysis command instead of the default mconv = 0.001 and see if the LL changes.

In some cases the estimated between covariance matrix is close to singular (e.g. high correlations) and can be the cause of not getting right at the best LL.
 Hemant Kher posted on Thursday, August 18, 2011 - 10:47 am
Thank you for your thoughts Professor Muthen.

I used a convergence criteria even smaller than the one you suggested by it does not change the previous results.
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Thursday, August 18, 2011 - 11:49 am
We haven't had a case so far where we have not been able to get perfect agreement between SAS and Mplus, so feel free to send the input, output and data to support together with the SAS output.
 Hemant Kher posted on Thursday, August 18, 2011 - 12:29 pm
Thanks Professor Muthen, I will send all the material to the support email address soon.
 Tihomir Asparouhov posted on Thursday, August 18, 2011 - 3:00 pm
You can decrease the logcriterion convergence criterion (add these two commands logcriterion=0.0000001; miter=10000;) and then you get the same results as in stata.

http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/examples/alda/chapter5/aldastatach5.htm

The reason you are experiencing problems with this example is that the variance covariance matrix for the 3 random effects is singular - I computed the determinant and it came out negative. Different algorithms and packages will react differently on singular variance covariance matrix and most people would consider this an unacceptable model. You can introduce structured variance covariance matrix for the random effects to eliminate these problems.
 Tihomir Asparouhov posted on Thursday, August 18, 2011 - 3:09 pm
Just a little more information about Mplus. If you add the technical option
output:tech8;
you will see the details of the convergence process. The default algorithm EMA quickly reaches the ML estimates but fails because the variance covariance matrix for the random effects is singular. At that point Mplus switches to the EM algorithm which slowly approaches the singularity, but Mplus will deliberately avoid the full convergence to avoid the singularity. In this part of the algorithm the solution is driven by the logcriterion convergence criterion. So essentially all software packages differ because the ML solution is inadmissible so they report their own version of "approximately" ML solution.
 Hemant Kher posted on Thursday, August 18, 2011 - 7:32 pm
Thank you Tihomir, Linda and Bengt. These details are beyond my comprehension. I am glad that I modeled the problem correctly in MPlus and the difference in results due to the difference in how softwares tackle singular matrices.

When I made the change suggested by Tihomir my solution matches the one from Stata; Stata is unable to compute std. errors but MPlus did (as you well know). The solution time was a bit longer than before.
 Eric Deemer posted on Saturday, March 17, 2012 - 1:13 pm
Hello,
Like a previous poster, I am trying to fit a multilevel SEM but I'm also getting the following error message:

*** ERROR

But I know that each person within the cluster in question has the same (mean) score. Do you think this could be data format issue? Thanks.

Eric
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Saturday, March 17, 2012 - 1:29 pm
If you get this message and you are certain that the values for each person within a cluster are the same, you may be reading your data incorrectly, for example, blanks in the data set, the wrong number of variable names. If you cannot figure it out, please send the relevant files and your license number to support@statmodel.com.
 Paraskevas Petrou posted on Thursday, May 31, 2012 - 5:59 am
Hi,

I am testing a multilevel SEM model with three within-level outcomes. At the within-level I control for one within-level variable and I specify all intercorrelations between the three outcomes. At the between-level (that I'm mainly interested in) I have specified 2 between-level predictors (a and b) for these outcomes, 2 between-level moderators, their 2 interaction terms and I control for the effect of 2 between-level variables on the outcomes. Everything runs normally and the fit is good. Then I include in the between-level two correlations between the two control variables and predictor a, because they are theoretically important and they also increase the fit. But I get this error message about the NON-POSITIVE DEFINITE FIRST-ORDER DERIVATIVE PRODUCT MATRIX ... etc PROBLEM INVOLVING PARAMETER 49.

Parameter 49 is the PSI for predictor a. When I remove the correlation between the control variable and predictor a, the error goes away. When I replace this correlation with another correlation between the same control and predictor b, then the error message involves the PSI of predictor b.

I am wondering if you know what could the problem be.

Best regards,
Paris Petrou
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Thursday, May 31, 2012 - 11:42 am
It sounds like the predictors are binary and the message is generated because the mean and variance of a binary variable are not orthogonal. If this is the situation, you can ignore the message.
 Paraskevas Petrou posted on Friday, June 01, 2012 - 4:55 am
Dear Linda,

Thank you for your reply.

One of the two control variables (which is correlated with the predictor) is indeed binary. So, I will ignore the message.

Kind regards,
Paris Petrou
 Nina Schünemann posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2012 - 4:11 am
Hello,

I am specifying a multilevel pathmodel with students nested in small groups with the following variables:

treatment (level 2) -> group-work quality (level 2) -> stratpo (level 1) -> comppo(level 1)

Furthermore, I want to integrate pretestscores for both level 1 variables stratpre and comppre as covariates. Is it possible to compute the indirect effect on the group level as follows?

missing = all (-999.00);

usevariables are
treat gwq stratpo comppo stratpre comppre;

centering is grandmean (stratpre comppre);

between is treat gwq;

cluster is group;

analysis:
type is twolevel random;

model:
%within%
stratpo on stratpre;
comppo on comppre;

comppo on stratpo;

%between%

gwq on treat(a);
stratpo on gwq(b);
comppo on stratpo(c);

model constraint:
new (abc);
abc = a*b*c;

output: cinterval;
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2012 - 10:20 am
This looks correct.
 Nina Schünemann posted on Thursday, August 09, 2012 - 7:38 am
Thank you very much. I am wondering if I have to specify a random model, since I do not predict random slopes. Could i run the model with type is twolevel as well? Then I could request the model indirect option for stratpo on treat and comppo on treat.
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Friday, August 10, 2012 - 11:15 am
There is no reason for you to use RANDOM for the model above.
 Ellen WanHeung Yeung posted on Monday, June 03, 2013 - 11:49 pm
Dear Dr. Muthen,

I have been using Mplus version 7 to estimate Multilevel Structural Equation Models based on Dr. Preacher's syntax with TYPE IS TWOLEVEL RANDOM. Under "estimated sample statistics", Mplus produces a within correlation matrix and a between correlation matrix. I would greatly appreciate if you could clarify (1) how these matrices are calculated and (2) whether missing data has been taken into consideration during the calculations of the within and between matrices.

Thanks in advance!
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Tuesday, June 04, 2013 - 8:51 am
(1-2) The assumption is that the variables can be decomposed into two orthogonal components, within and between, in line with random effects anova. The covariance matrices for those two parts are then estimated by maximum-likelihood under the standard MAR assumption of missing data (so "FIML").
 WONKYUNG OH posted on Sunday, June 09, 2013 - 8:26 am
Hello

I am testing a multilevel SEM model with 1-1-1 model and 2-2-1 model. I have two problems. could you help me?

fist of all, when i testing a 1-1-1 model and 2-2-1 model separately, there's fit very good. but, once i testing both model simultaneously, fit indices are worst!
is it possible? can in testing 1-1-1 model and 2-2-1model separately? I think it's not a good idea.

and
At the level 1. I testing only 1-1-1 model.
but, when i input control variables in this model, fit indices are getting worse.
and then I'm also getting the following error message:

"variable is uncorrelated with all other variables"

In this case, do I exclude all control variable?
If so, at the level 1 model, there's no control variable. that's maybe problems later.
I am wondering if you know what could the problem be.

Best regards.
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Monday, June 10, 2013 - 10:42 am
You must have a variable on the USEVARIABLES list that you are not using in the MODEL command.
 Samuli Helle posted on Thursday, August 28, 2014 - 11:46 am
I’m fitting a random slope multilevel SEM. The code and selected output are below:

WITHIN = matage;
BETWEEN = liv sr;
CATEGORICAL = sex;
COUNT = fitn(p);
DEFINE:
CENTER matage (groupmean);
MODEL:
%WITHIN%
rs_sexmat | sex ON matage;
%BETWEEN%
sex ON liv;
sex WITH rs_sexmat;
fitn ON liv rs_sexmat sr;

Estimate S.E. Est./S.E. P-Value
FITN ON
RS_SEXMAT -29.287 7.648 -3.830 0.000
SEX ON
LIV 0.000 0.021 -0.011 0.991
FITN ON
LIV 0.028 0.012 2.319 0.020
SR 0.054 0.123 0.437 0.662
SEX WITH
RS_SEXMAT -0.001 0.001 -0.728 0.467
Means
RS_SEXMAT 0.014 0.005 2.566 0.010
Variances
RS_SEXMAT 0.000 0.000 1.925 0.054

1. How I define a path from the random intercept of variable “SEX” on my outcome variable “FITN”?
2. Does a negative coefficient for “FITN ON RS_SEXMAT” mean that the more positive the random slope, the lower the "FITN"?
3. Is it justified to estimate a coefficient for “FITN ON RS_SEXMAT” in the case of non-significant variance for “RS_SEXMAT”?
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Thursday, August 28, 2014 - 3:47 pm
1. You should say on Between:

fitn on sex;

2. The larger rs_sexmat, the smaller fitn

3. Probably not.
 Samuli Helle posted on Sunday, August 31, 2014 - 11:35 pm
With respect to the question 1 above, if I use that syntax I get the following error message:

*** ERROR in MODEL command
Observed variable on the right-hand side of a between-level ON statement
must be a BETWEEN variable. Problem with: SEX
*** ERROR
The following MODEL statements are ignored:
* Statements in the BETWEEN level:
FITN ON SEX

But if I put the variable "SEX" on the BETWEEN-list, I get this error message:

Between-level variables cannot be used on the within level.
Between-level variable used: SEX

Any advice?
 Samuli Helle posted on Monday, September 01, 2014 - 3:10 am
One more question: if I have an OUTCOME variable that is measured on the between-level, should I also include this variable in the list of BETWEEN-variables?
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Monday, September 01, 2014 - 6:48 am
All variables measured on the between-level must be put on the between list and used only in the between part of the model. If this does not help, please send the original output and your license number to support@statmodel.com.
 Samuli Helle posted on Thursday, September 04, 2014 - 3:04 am
Given the model below, is there a way to constraint the variance of random slopes >0?

%WITHIN%
%BETWEEN%
sex;
sex WITH rs_sexmat;
fitn ON rs_sexmat;

I tried the following but I'm not sure whether it worked because the lower 95% CI for the variance estimate was still <0.

%WITHIN%
%BETWEEN%
sex;
sex WITH rs_sexmat;
fitn ON rs_sexmat;
rs_sexmat (rs);
MODEL CONSTRAINT:
rs > 0;

Thanks.
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Thursday, September 04, 2014 - 9:07 am
This will keep the point estimate positive. It does not put a constraint on the confidence interval.
 Samuli Helle posted on Thursday, September 04, 2014 - 11:34 am
Is there a way to constraint also the confidence interval?
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Thursday, September 04, 2014 - 2:36 pm
Only when using Bayes where the prior keeps all values positive.
 Samuli Helle posted on Friday, September 05, 2014 - 12:33 am
Which I cannot use because I have a binary and count responses. Any idea when such a Bayesian model comes available in MPlus?
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Friday, September 05, 2014 - 9:20 am
It is on our list but there is no prediction for when it will be added.
 Samuli Helle posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2014 - 12:21 pm
And one more question: what's the unit of random slopes? I mean if I run the model below and want to report the effect size of regression "fitn ON rs_sexmat"?

%WITHIN%
%BETWEEN%
sex;
sex WITH rs_sexmat;
fitn ON rs_sexmat;
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2014 - 12:46 pm
Your results give the estimated variance for the random slope and you can also get the estimated variance for fitn. Using that, you can standardize the regression coefficient for fitn ON rs_sexmath (unless it already prints it), which gives the usual interpretation.
 tom norton posted on Monday, October 20, 2014 - 6:33 pm
I am trying to run a multilevel SEM with level 1 predictor (X) and dependent (Y) variables, and level 2 moderator (M) and control (C) variables. Am I correct in writing my commands as follows:

%WITHIN%
s | Y ON X C;

%BETWEEN%
M ON C;
s ON M;

Warm Regards
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2014 - 12:14 pm
The s | statement should refer to only one regression slope, so say

%within%
s | y on x;
y on c;

I think on Between you want to say:

s on m;
y on m c;

where the first line gives the m*x cross-level interaction and the second line gives the main effects from m and c.
 Star Chen posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2014 - 2:46 pm
Hi: I'm kind of new to Mplus. Lately I was trying to fit a multilevel mediation model with two mediators (each as a latent variable of several indicators). When I fit one mediator, the model runs, but when I try to model two mediators at the same time, I always get this error message.
"THE MODEL ESTIMATION TERMINATED NORMALLY

THE H1 MODEL ESTIMATION DID NOT CONVERGE. CHI-SQUARE TEST AND SAMPLE STATISTICS COULD NOT
BE COMPUTED. INCREASE THE NUMBER OF H1ITERATIONS."

I tried to increase H1ITERATIONS to 5000, but it still gives me the same error. When I increase it to be over 5000, Mplus appears to keep running forever, so I aborted the analysis. The model I was trying to fit is only the basic one without adjusting for any covariate. I'm wondering if there's any solutions to this problem.

Originally I also tried to model mediators as two simple variables (mean score) instead of as two latent variables, but then model estimation couldn't terminate normally even in the case of one mediator.

Any suggestions would be welcomed.Thank you.
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2014 - 3:02 pm
Please send the output and your license number to support@statmodel.com.
 Djangou C posted on Thursday, March 12, 2015 - 8:08 pm
Hi Dr Muthen,
I am running multilevel models in Mplus and I have 2 questions to ask.
1)This question is related to what you called ecological correlation on your posting on Thursday, April 29, 2010 - 8:09 am. The correlations of level-2 are higher than that of level-1. How do you explain this statistically? Could you please point to a paper that can explain this and I could use for reference?
2)This question is related to class separation in multilevel mixture model. In Lubke & Muthen (2007) the multivariate Mahalanobis distance was used to define class separation. I don’t see how to use the same measure in multilevel mixture model for each level as the means are only defined in one level. How do we then define the class separation in that situation? Is there another measure for class separation that only use the covariance matrices (which is available for each level)? Any reference to point to?
Thank you.
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Friday, March 13, 2015 - 8:33 am
1) The classic paper is

Robinson, W.S. (1950). "Ecological Correlations and the Behavior of Individuals". American Sociological Review (American Sociological Review, Vol. 15, No. 3) 15 (3): 351–357. doi:10.2307/2087176.

You can also see Wikepedia for more references.

2) The same measure should be used for 2-level models. It uses the means and they are not affected by the multilevel situation - there are not separate means on the 2 levels. No references as far as I know.
 Nir Madjar posted on Thursday, May 12, 2016 - 2:44 am
Hello,

I wonder if there is any way to model a latent factor from between level, to be associated with a within variable. In other words, the equivalent in HLM would be a level-2 factor that is modeled on the intercept of level-1 outcome variable (e.g., class level variable that explains students’ levels outcome). For example (I know this is not a possible model in Mplus but wonder whether any other model specification will test this hypothesis):

Model:
%BETWEEN%
factorB BY var1 var2;
%WITHIN%
Outcome ON factorB;

With many thanks!
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Thursday, May 12, 2016 - 7:10 pm
I assume that Outcome is a student-level variable in which case you say

%Between%
factorB BY...
outcome on factorB;

where outcome is the latent between-level part of the Outcome variable.
 Nir Madjar posted on Thursday, May 12, 2016 - 9:21 pm
Thank you for your prompt response!

I am sorry if this is my misunderstanding, but in this case the model explains latent between-level part of the Outcome variable. In my case I have a model in which students are nested within classes, and I have a latent factor at the class-level (e.g., classroom climate – BETWEEN level factor) that is hypothesized to explain variance on the student level (i.e., he model should explain latent WITHIN-level part of the Outcome variable). Is there any option to model this?

With many thanks.
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Friday, May 13, 2016 - 1:58 pm
A level-2 variable cannot influence a level-1 variable except through the level-1 variable's level-2 part. That's not an Mplus restriction but a general one.
 Jacqueline Power posted on Friday, September 16, 2016 - 8:38 am
trying to post as a member. can post as a guest
 Jacqueline Power posted on Friday, September 16, 2016 - 11:14 am
I need to run a multilevel SEM model in which the slope is allowed to vary.
Level 1: AS->OCB->IRB
Level 2: PJ. PJ interacts with AS in a cross-level model. PJ interacts with OCB in a cross-level model.
I believe that this is a ‘intercept and slopes as outcomes’ model as described by Luke (2004)
What I DID
USEVARIABLES = AS OCB PJ IRB Supvten Educ Age Gender;
cluster = Supvcode;
within = AS OCB IRB Supvten Educ Age Gender;
between = pj; !dep var level 2
DEFINE:
CENTER PJ(Grandmean);
Analysis: type=twolevel random;
Model:
%within%
beta1|OCB on AS Supvten Educ Age Gender;!betal is random effect slope y on x
beta2|IRB on OCB Supvten Educ Age Gender;
%between%
OCB on PJ;!regression of random intercept on PJ
beta1 on PJ;!regression of random slope on PJ. Is the interaction of AS and PJ sign?
OCB with beta1! residual covariance between intercept and slope

IRB on PJ;!regression of random intercept on PJ
beta2 on PJ;!regression of random slope on PJ. Is the interaction of OCB and PJ sign?
IRB with beta2! residual covariance between intercept and slope
Output: sampstat;
Unknown variable(s) in a WITH statement: ON
It does not help to put beta1 and beta2 in the usevariables statement. The program does not recognize beta1 and beta2.
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Friday, September 16, 2016 - 11:20 am
You forgot a semi colon at the end of yuor OCB with beta1 line.

Also, your random slope statements should refer to only one variable on the RHS of ON.
 Jacqueline Power posted on Friday, September 16, 2016 - 1:00 pm
Thank you for your quick response.
I made the changes and got the following error messages.
*** WARNING in MODEL command
Variable on the left-hand side of an ON statement in a | statement is a
WITHIN variable. The intercept for this variable is not random.
Variable: OCB
*** WARNING in MODEL command
Variable on the left-hand side of an ON statement in a | statement is a
WITHIN variable. The intercept for this variable is not random.
Variable: IRB
*** ERROR

Between Cluster ID with variation in this variable
Variable (only one cluster ID will be listed)

PJ 1014
I have been reading on this board about other users who have received this message for multilevel. My between group variable PJ is not the same within each group. I was able to analyse the data in HLM but of course could not do SEM. Do you have a suggestion?
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Friday, September 16, 2016 - 4:36 pm
The first warnings are clear, right? To say

s | y on x;

implies that the regression slope of y on x varies across clusters and therefore y varies across clusters. Hence, y cannot be a Within variable.

The PJ 1014 error is also clear - a variable designated as Between is a variable that characterizes the cluster and therefore does not vary within a cluster. If the variable varies also within a cluster it should not be on the Between list.
 Jacqueline Power posted on Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 8:18 am
Yes, I can see that my model in inappropriate.

Is there a way to run the following model?
Level 1: AS->OCB->IRB
Level 2: PJ. PJ interacts with AS in a cross-level model. PJ interacts with OCB in a cross-level model.

I would like the intercepts and slopes to vary but it is not necessary.
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 2:37 pm
cross-level interactions are obtained by using random slopes that PJ predicts on level 2.
 Jacqueline Power posted on Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 4:49 pm
How do I write "random slopes that PJ predicts on level 2"

My level 2 variable is PJ. The ICC is 22%. This suggests to me that there is between group variance.
I have had an error message:
The PJ 1014 error is also clear - a variable designated as Between is a variable that characterizes the cluster and therefore does not vary within a cluster. If the variable varies also within a cluster it should not be on the Between list.
So PJ cannot be on the between list. It is my only level 2 variable.
Is this a problem that cannot be analysed using Mplus?
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 5:21 pm
Q1. See the handout for our short course Topic 7, slide 45. There w is the Level-2 (Between-level) variable.

If your PJ variable is given an icc this means that it has both within- and between-level variance and should therefore not be put on the Between = list.
 Jacqueline Power posted on Friday, October 14, 2016 - 1:04 pm
I am looking at handout for short course Topic 7, slide 45.
My level 2 variable is PJ. PJ is not the cluster variable but rather a variable measured at level 2. PJ has both within and between level variance.
I think you are telling me that PJ cannot be w.
Therefore I think that you are telling me that I cannot analyse a question in which my only level 2 variable varies both within and between levels.
Therefore my question cannot be analysed in MPlus. Am I right?
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Friday, October 14, 2016 - 2:08 pm
By level-2 variables we typically mean variables that vary across clusters only. Such as a teacher characteristic when cluster=classroom. If your PJ variable varies both on level 1 and on level 2, it sounds like it is a variable measured for "students" (to use the student/classroom example). Such a variable can have a level-2 counterpart, either the observed cluster mean (classroom mean) of the variable or the latent between part (see UG ex9.1, part2). You can have such a variable influence the random slope on level 2 (the Between level).
 Jacqueline Power posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2016 - 10:39 am
Dear Bengt, to make this a classroom problem I could say:
Student's grade (level 1) = student IQ (level 1) x student's perception of the school (level 2). PJ is student's perception of the school. We think that PJ is measured at level 2 because this variable is about the school. PJ will vary by student (level 1) and by school (level 2). Can you refer me to an example that I can follow? Thank you
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2016 - 6:03 pm
Here is a relevant paper that should be of interest to you:

Lüdtke, O., Marsh, H.W., Robitzsch, A., Trautwein, U., Asparouhov, T., & Muthén, B. (2008). The multilevel latent covariate model: A new, more reliable approach to group-level effects in contextual studies. Psychological Methods, 13, 203-229.
 Daniel Lee posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2017 - 3:15 pm
Hello, I am trying to expand the 2-1-1 multilevel sem to a 2-1-1-1 multilevel sem (numbers represent levels). When conducting such an analysis, I was wondering if you knew how to calculate the indirect effects.

For the 2-1-1 analysis, I know it's (m on x)*(y on M), but I'm not sure how to expand this formula when you have an extra mediator on the chain.

Thank you!!
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 12:15 pm
It's just

(Y on m2)*(m2 on m1)*(m1 on x).
 Bander Alrebeay posted on Friday, March 24, 2017 - 4:40 am
Dear Dr. Muthen,
I am running MSEM (two-level) as 2-2-1. 3 X predictor latent factors are formative (Level2). 5 M latent reflective factors are mediators (in level 2) and 3 Y latent reflective factors are outcomes at level1. My questions are:
1- Should I run a model for the 3 outcomes simultaneously (at the same input), OR run each outcome separately?
2- In terms of the mediators, which one is correct?/Is there any difference?:

! regress mb on xb, call the slope "a"
M1 M2 M3 M4 M5 ON XB1 XB2 XB3(a);
! regress yb on mb, call the slope "b"
YB1 YB2 YB3 ON M1 M2 M3 M4 M5 (b);
! regress yb on xb, too
YB1 YB2 YB3 ON XB1 XB2 XB3;

MODEL CONSTRAINT:
NEW(ab);
ab = a*b;

OR:
! regress mb on xb, call the slope "a"
M1 ON XB1 XB2 XB3 (a1);
M2 ON XB1 XB2 XB3 (a2);
...…..
! regress yb on mb, call the slope "b"
YB1 YB2 YB3 ON M1(b1);

! regress yb on xb, direct effect, too
YB1 YB2 YB3 ON XB1 XB2 XB3 (cdash);

MODEL CONSTRAINT:
NEW(a1b1 a2b2 a3b3 a4b4 a5b5 TOTALIND TOTAL); ! name the indirect effect
a1b1 = a1*b1; ! Specific indirect effect of X on Y via M1
...etc

I really appreciate your help.
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Thursday, March 30, 2017 - 8:14 am
You can't give 1 label to several slopes - see labels in Chapter 17 for how to use them.

Including all outcomes at once is the same as doing them one at a time. All mediators should be included at once.
 Bander Alrebeay posted on Thursday, March 30, 2017 - 11:16 am
Thanks for your reply. Do you mean each predictor should be in a separate line? sorry I am a new user for mplus. I have not found a syntax for multiple predictors, mediators, and outcomes in a 2-2-1 model. So, I borrow the syntax from Preacher et al. I really appreciate your help.
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Thursday, March 30, 2017 - 11:47 am
One label per line:

M1 ON XB1 XB2
XB3 (a1);
M2 ON XB1 XB2
XB3 (a2);
 Bander AL posted on Thursday, March 30, 2017 - 12:40 pm
Thanks Linda. and in terms of regression yb on mb, is it this correct?:

[YB1 YB2 YB3] (b0);
YB1 YB2 YB3 ON M1(b1);
YB1 YB2 YB3 ON M2(b2);
YB1 YB2 YB3 ON M3(b3);

If this is not correct, it means I need to write a separate input for each outcome (YB1 YB2 YB3). Am I right?
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Thursday, March 30, 2017 - 3:56 pm
If you want all three regression coefficients to be the same, it is correct. I don't think you want that. You should run some of these options and see what you get. That would help you understand better. One label after three covariates hold the coefficients equal. Check the output.
 Margherita Pagliuca posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2017 - 5:33 am
Dear Dr. Muthen,

I am running a MSEM (two-level: students and schools).

At the end of the ananlysis I have this message:
"Mplus diagrams are currently not available for multilevel analysis."
Why it?

I really appreciate your help!
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2017 - 6:11 am
Model diagrams have not been developed for these models.
 Dayna Walker posted on Thursday, November 30, 2017 - 8:45 am
Dear Drs. Muthen,

I am running a 2-2-1 multilevel SEM model (TYPE = TWOLEVEL). As it is a fixed slopes model, I’ve asked for and received the standardized output. However, standardized parameter estimates for the indirect effect (ab) seem to be missing. What should I specify in the commands to get the standardized indirect effect (or is this even possible)?

Thank you for your response and continued dedication to this forum.

Kind regards,
Dayna Walker

Here is my syntax:
BETWEEN ARE OrgLev_CODE Gender_Female
TX1 TY1 TX2 TY2 TX3 TY3 TX4 TY4 TX5 TY5
RE1V RE2V RE5V RE3D RE4D RE7D;
CLUSTER IS ESI_Key;
STARTS = 400 40;
MODEL:
%WITHIN%
yw BY S2_24_DR S2_55_DR S2_56_DR S2_62_DR S2_64_DR S2_77_DR;
%BETWEEN%
mb BY RE1V RE2V RE5V RE3D RE4D RE7D;
ABI BY TY3 TX4 TY4 TX5 TY5;
MOT BY TX1 TY1 TX2 TY2 TX3;
xb BY ABI MOT;
yb BY S2_24_DR S2_55_DR S2_56_DR S2_62_DR S2_64_DR S2_77_DR;
mb ON xb(a);
yb ON mb(b);
yb ON xb OrgLev_CODE Gender_Female;
MODEL CONSTRAINT:
NEW(ab);
ab= a*b;
OUTPUT: TECH1 TECH8 CINTERVAL STANDARDIZED;
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Thursday, November 30, 2017 - 4:07 pm
Try Model Indirect. Or, express the variance of xb and yb in terms of model parameters and do the usual standardization by multiplying by the x SD and dividing by the y SD.
 Dayna Walker posted on Saturday, December 02, 2017 - 12:40 pm
Model Indirect worked. Thank you!
 Michelle McDowell posted on Thursday, March 15, 2018 - 5:53 am
I am new to Mplus & struggle with a multilevel mediation model. I have ratings (x1 x2 m y) of 20 diseases (level 1) nested within participants (level 2). My model is x1 and x2 through m to y (e.g., a (1,1)-1-1 model looking at direct and indirect effects of x1 and x2 on y.

I have read the paper and tried (unsuccessfully) examples for Preacher etal. (2010), model i. but maybe I misunderstand conceptually. I intend the same model across persons but take into account variation between persons.

1. Is this how I specify the level-2 residual variances in the between model?
2. Should the between effect include a covariate for disease (diseasefreq — actual frequency of the diseases)? It is not specified in the model yet.
3. Is COMPLEX analysis or unconflated MLM more appropriate?

VARIABLE: NAMES ARE ID x1 x2 m y diseasefreq;
USEVARIABLES = ID x1 x2 m y;
WITHIN = x1 x2 m;
CATEGORICAL = y;
CLUSTER IS ID;
ANALYSIS:
TYPE IS TWOLEVEL;
MODEL:
%WITHIN%
m ON x1 x2 (aw);
y ON m (bw);
y ON x1 (c1p);
y ON x2 (c2p);
%BETWEEN%
y m x1 x2
m ON x1 x2 (ab)
y ON m (bb)
y ON x1 x2 (cb)
MODEL CONSTRAINT:
NEW(indirect direct1 direct2);
indirect = aw*bw;
direct1 = c1p;
direct2 = c2p;

Thank you.
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Thursday, March 15, 2018 - 4:59 pm
See the Preacher inputs on our Mediation page

http://www.statmodel.com/Mediation.shtml

under

Preacher et al. multilevel mediation inputs

1. Yes.

2. You can.

3. Use MLM.
 Michelle McDowell posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2018 - 5:29 am
Thank you for your response. I have followed example I. in the Preacher et al. multilevel mediation inputs and receive an error that x1 and x2 cannot be used on both the within and between levels. If I include the syntax "Within= x1 x2" as in my example above, the error then appears "Within-level variables cannot be used on the between-level".

Example I. does include the same variables both on the within and between levels. Am I missing something about the designation of within/between models?
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2018 - 11:55 am
We need to see the full output - send to Support along with your license number.
 Christopher Cambron posted on Monday, April 30, 2018 - 4:41 pm
Hi Drs Muthen,
I'm running a 1-1-1 multilevel sem with fixed slopes and estimating the indirect effects at both the within and between person levels. X and Y are both binary and M's are continuous (there are multiple mediators). There are also a set of between person controls. My question is about the interpretation of X at the within person level. Preacher's 2010 paper states "in MSEM all Level-1 variables are subjected to implicit, model-based group mean centering by default unless constraints are applied to the model." I'm wondering how to interpret the within person effects for a binary X -> M or X -> Y given the model-based person mean centering Preacher describes. Any insight would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Example code:
%WITHIN%
Y ON X (cw);
M ON X (aw);
Y ON M (bw);

%BETWEEN%
Y ON X (cb);
M ON X (ab);
Y ON M (bb);

Y M X ON controls;
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2018 - 3:17 pm
See the V8 UG pages 274-275 and references gives there.

But a binary Y calls for new effects - see the papers on our website:

Nguyen, T.Q., Webb-Vargas, Y., Koning, I.K. & Stuart, E.A. (2016). Causal mediation analysis with a binary outcome and multiple continuous or ordinal mediators: Simulations and application to an alcohol intervention. Structural Equation Modeling: A Multidisciplinary Journal, 23:3, 368-383 DOI: 10.1080/10705511.2015.1062730

Muthén, B. & Asparouhov T. (2015). Causal effects in mediation modeling: An introduction with applications to latent variables. Structural Equation Modeling: A Multidisciplinary Journal, 22(1), 12-23. DOI:10.1080/10705511.2014.935843 Click here to download the paper.

- and also the Topic 11 Short Course video and handout.
 Christopher Cambron posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2018 - 1:05 pm
Thank you for the response Dr. Muthen. I will spend some more time with those materials.

One follow up question as I'm not sure if I provided you enough information: If I'm reading previous posts and Preacher's work correctly, it would be appropriate to estimate non-causal indirect effects at the within and between levels with a probit link and the a*b method. Is something similar to this below correct? Or are the methods proposed by Nguyen the only way to estimate these indirect effects? Thank you.

Example code:
%WITHIN%
Y ON X (cw);
M1 M2 ON X (aw1 aw2);
Y ON M1 M2 (bw1 bw2);
M1 WITH M2;

%BETWEEN%
Y ON X (cb);
M1 M2 ON X (ab1 ab2);
Y ON M1 M2 (bb1 bb2);
M1 WITH M2;

Y M1 M2 X ON controls;

MODEL CONSTRAINT:
NEW (indw1 indb1 indw2 indb2);
indw1 = aw1*bw1;
indb1 = ab1*bb1;
indw2 = aw2*bw2;
indb2 = ab2*bb2;
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2018 - 4:15 pm
Looks right for indirect effects for Y*, the continuous latent response variable behind the binary Y.
 Peter Hilpert posted on Thursday, January 03, 2019 - 9:42 am
Dear Drs Muthen,

I try to model dynamic processes between oscillatory factors - how changes in emotions of one partner influence changes in the other partner. Emotions have been assessed once per second. I use a latent differential equation model to compute latent derivatives (level and velocity) by using a growth curve model based on a time embedded data matrix. I smooth over 3 time points and move this window across the 600 data points per person and try to test whether changes in the level of one person influence the velocity in the other person:

im sm | Em0@0 Em1@1 Em2@2;
if sf | Ef0@0 Ef1@1 Ef2@2;

sm ON im if;
sf ON im if;

Now, this will compute an average intercept and slope across men and women - but I would like to compute a slope for each participant, somehow a random slope. Can I do this directly (avoiding a multilevel model)?
I aim to test how person's trait depression influences the link between a person's level and the other person's velocity (kind of cross-level interaction). But how can I incorportate this into this growth curve model? Depression predicting the slope between 'im ON sf' or 'if ON sm'.
Thanks!
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Thursday, January 03, 2019 - 4:06 pm
Use SAVE = FSCORES
 Peter Hilpert posted on Saturday, January 05, 2019 - 6:51 am
Thank you for the fast replay. Would it be possible to run this all in a single model or is the only way computing a second model based on the extracted fscore dataset?
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Saturday, January 05, 2019 - 10:34 am
I think you are after an interaction between depression and im/if in the prediction of sf/sm. That can be done by adding these 2 interactions to your growth model in a single analysis. An interaction between an observed variable (depression) and a latent variable (im/if) is handled by the XWITH option, so e.g.

depim | dep XWITH im;

And then

sf on im if dep depim;

etc
 Peter Hilpert posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2019 - 8:57 am
I see - fantastic! Thanks a lot!
 Eunsoo Cho posted on Saturday, May 11, 2019 - 4:39 am
Hello,

I am running a two-level SEM model with cross-level interaction: Student nested in Classroom. This is an intervention study where classrooms were randomly assigned to three groups: A1, A2, and Control. Used 2 contrast codings to examine the effect of A1+A2 vs. Control (C1); and A1 vs. A2 (C2). I am interested in whether pretest skill moderate the treatment effects. I used the following code:

USEVAR = C1 C2 x1 x2 y1 y2;

MODEL:
%WITHIN%
xw BY x1*(a)
x2 (b);
yw BY y1* (a)
y2 (b);
xw@1; yw@1;
s| yw ON xw;

%BETWEEN%
xb BY x1*(a)
x2 (b);
yb BY y1* (a)
y2 (b);
xw@1; yb@1;

C1xb |C1 XWITH xb;
C2xb |C2 XWITH xb;

yb ON xb C1 C2 C1xb C2xb;
s ON C1 C2;
s; s with yb;

Is this code accurate?
And can I add [yb s] to estimate grand mean of the y [yb] and mean of slope [s]? to the between part? I am interested in using http://quantpsy.org/interact/hlm2.htm for these estimated intercepts.
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Saturday, May 11, 2019 - 5:27 pm
You shouldn't fix the variance of the x and y factors on both levels when you have loading equality - just on one of the levels (either one); then you can see the different variance contributions that within and between give. You can't identify [yb] but [s] is fine.
 Lisha Dai posted on Monday, June 17, 2019 - 10:05 pm
Dear Dr. Muthen,
I'm running a two-level SEM model to estimate the moderation in 1-1*1

design.Our data were repeated measures. Level 1 consisted of five-point

repeated measures, where were nested within individuals (Level 2).

According to the method describing by Preacher et al.(2016), I wrote my

syntax as below:

variable: Names are id sex loc dig epq t1-t3 time mcqc mcqb z x y;
usevariables = z x y;
missing are all (999);

cluster = id;

analysis: type is twolevel random;
estimator is mlr;
algorithm is integration;
integration is 4;
model:
%within%
xw BY x@1; xw; x@.01;
zw by z@1; zw; z@.01;
yw by y@1; yw; y@.01;
xzw| xw XWITH zw;
xw WITH zw;
yw on xw zw xzw;

%between%

xb by x@1; xb; x@.01;
zb by z@1; zb; z@.01;
yb by y@1; yb; y@.01;
yb on xb zb;
xb WITH zb;
[x@0 z@0 y@0 xb zb yb];
 Lisha Dai posted on Monday, June 17, 2019 - 10:05 pm
My questions are:
1) Is there anything wrong with the above code?
2) Because of the nonindependance nature of repeated measurements,

should I add some statements to adjust the nonindependance? If so, what

statement should be added?
3) I run the above syntax and got the following WARNING:

THE MODEL ESTIMATION DID NOT TERMINATE NORMALLY DUE TO A NON-ZERO
DERIVATIVE OF THE OBSERVED-DATA LOGLIKELIHOOD.

THE MCONVERGENCE CRITERION OF THE EM ALGORITHM IS NOT FULFILLED.
CHECK YOUR STARTING VALUES OR INCREASE THE NUMBER OF MITERATIONS.
ESTIMATES CANNOT BE TRUSTED. THE LOGLIKELIHOOD DERIVATIVE
FOR THE FOLLOWING PARAMETER IS 0.24819963D-01:
Parameter 11, %BETWEEN%: YB ON XB

So how can I fix that? By changing starting values or increasing the

number of miterations? And how can I define a suitable starting value?

Thanks a lot!
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Tuesday, June 18, 2019 - 5:16 pm
Regarding the modeling, I recommend reading Web Note 23 (especially section 3.3 and its scripts) that you find on our website:

Asparouhov, T, & Muthén, B. (2019). Latent variable interactions using maximum-likelihood and Bayesian estimation for single- and two-level models. Mplus Web Notes: No. 23. May 3, 2019. (Download the Section 4 Bayes examples)

Nonindependence is taken into account in the model by the random intercepts (the latent between level parts of the variables).

Regarding the warning you get, we need to see the full output including TECH8 - send to Support along with your license number.

Also, we request that postings be limited to one window. Longer messages should be sent to Support
 Bharath Shashanka Katkam posted on Sunday, July 07, 2019 - 7:08 am
Hello Mplus Team,

In my research, I wanted to perform "Two-level SEM with random intercepts & fixed slopes".
But, “EXAMPLE 9.10” in the “Mplus User’s Guide” is a “Two-level SEM with Random Slopes".
Where can I find the example for the "Two-level SEM with Random Intercepts & fixed Slopes"?
Thanks in advance.
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Sunday, July 14, 2019 - 11:30 am
Just change

s | y5 on fw

to

y5 on fw

and delete s from the Between part of the model.
 Bharath Shashanka Katkam posted on Sunday, July 14, 2019 - 11:51 pm
Thank you, Sir.
 Franzi Kößler posted on Tuesday, April 14, 2020 - 7:18 am
Hello Drs. Muthen,

Currently, I am running a 2-level SEM with the same mediation model at both levels (a 1-1-1 and a 2-2-1 model), except from the IVs. Both IVs are manifest variables, the mediator and the DV are latent variables. During the analysis, I came up with the following questions: How can I get standardised factor loadings at both levels? How can I get standardised path coefficients? - I guess, I have to look at STDYX, right?

The more complicated questions in my opinion is how I can get the standarised indirect effect?

Moreover, I wanted to have equal factor loadings across levels but I had to fix a loading at the between level to 1 (because of negative residuals) - do I have to fix it to 1 at the within level as well?

Moreover, I was wondering when it does make sense to estimate means and variance for single variables?

Thank you in advance!
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Wednesday, April 15, 2020 - 4:28 pm
STDYX is good. The standardized indirect effect is obtained by dividing by the Y SD and multiplying by the X (the IV) SD.

Regarding loadings, I would instead fix the between-level residuals to zero.

The last question might be suitable for SEMNET.
 Franzi Kößler posted on Thursday, April 16, 2020 - 12:52 am
Thank you so much!

Just to be sure, do these look correct?

1) MODEL:
%WITHIN%
diss1(xw);
K1w BY item1-item4;
I2w BY item5-item7;
K1w ON diss1 (aw);
I2w ON K1w (bw);
I2w ON diss1 (cw);
I2w (yw);

%BETWEEN%
div1(xb);
item2@0;
K1b BY item1-item4;
I2b BY item5-item7;
K1b ON div1 (ab);
I2b ON K1b (bb);
I2b ON div1 (cb);
I2b (yb);

MODEL CONSTRAINT:
NEW(s_ind_w s_ind_b);
s_ind_w = (aw*bw/SQRT(yw))*SQRT(xw);
s_ind_b = (ab*bb/SQRT(yb))*SQRT(xb);

2) item2@0; (specified outside of the BY statement) - the thing is that the not really good between SRMR gets slightly worse compared to fixing the loading to 1 (from .197 to .199). Also I Should I still do that?

About the third point, I think this question got solved because I have to add the manifest predictors now anyway without ON statement.

Thank you so much!
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Thursday, April 16, 2020 - 4:03 pm
I need to see your full output to say - send to Support@statmodel.com along with your license number.
 Cailen O'Shea posted on Wednesday, May 20, 2020 - 2:42 pm
We are trying to run a MSEM model where we look at the results by country. We ran the initial model where the countries were pooled together with no issue. We then tried adding the "grouping" command and it gave us the variance by country but not the regression. I am wondering if there is some way that I could get the regression results for each country in the sample?
CLUSTER IS SCHID;
Within are TT2G01 TT2G05B TT2G10;
Between are TC2G01 TC2G04B TC2G15C;
WEIGHT=TCHWGT;
bweight=SCHWGT;
GROUPING = IDCNTRYR (32);
Analysis: TYPE=COMPLEX;
ESTIMATOR = MLR; type=twolevel;
MODEL:
%within%
PIL1 BY TT2G31A
TT2G31D(a)
TT2G31E(b)
TT2G31G(c)
TT2G31H(d)
;
DL1 BY TT2G44A
TT2G44B(e)
TT2G44C(f)
TT2G44D(g)
TT2G44E(h)
;
PIL1 ON DL1 TT2G01 TT2G05B TT2G10;
%between%
PIL BY TT2G31A
TT2G31D(a)
TT2G31E(b)
TT2G31G(c)
TT2G31H(d)
;
DL BY TT2G44A
TT2G44B(e)
TT2G44C(f)
TT2G44D(g)
TT2G44E(h)
;
PIL ON DL TC2G01 TC2G04B TC2G15C;
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Wednesday, May 20, 2020 - 5:17 pm
We need to see your output to say - send to Support@statmodel.com along with your license number.
Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: