Cluster ID exceeds the maximum allowa... PreviousNext
Mplus Discussion > Multilevel Data/Complex Sample >
Message/Author
 Stephus Daus posted on Saturday, May 31, 2014 - 12:26 pm
Hi again
Although none of my cluster/strata ID variables in use contain a cell with 2200040101 (I do find it in an auxiliary variable: studentID) nor does my dataset contain more than ~490,000 records, I get the following fatal error. I've already recoded the cluster ID variables (school, teacher) to reduce the number of digits to less than 9.

*** ERROR
Cluster ID exceeds the maximum allowable value of 2147483646.
Recode the cluster ID to the allowable range.
Problem with cluster ID: 2200040101.
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Saturday, May 31, 2014 - 12:59 pm
Perhaps your data are in fixed format and need a FORMAT statement. If not, please send the output, data, and your license number to support@statmodel.com.
 Stephus Daus posted on Sunday, June 01, 2014 - 2:04 am
Thank you so much for the hint Linda!

For others in the situation:
I had first exported the dataset as tab delimited in SPSS using Free format in Mplus (resulted in the above).
What worked was to export it as fixed ASCII, then in Mplus:
Format = F4 F6 ...;
 Jiangang Xia posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 12:34 pm
I got the same error message, but I know my cluster id does go beyond the maximum allowable value of 2147483646. I have a 12 digital level-2 cluster id and a 14 digital level-1 id. I may not need level-1 id, but I definitely need the level-2 id. Do you have any idea on this issue? Thanks.
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 6:46 am
If putting it on the IDVARIABLE option does not help, you will need to change it.
 Jiangang Xia posted on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 1:15 pm
Thank you professor Muthen. I am not familiar with IDVARIABLE option. So I recoded the id to make it shorter and then it worked. Thanks again.
Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: