Survey data analysis PreviousNext
Mplus Discussion > Multilevel Data/Complex Sample >
Message/Author
 Silvia S Martins  posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 8:51 am
I will run weighted LCA analyses using NSDUH data. How do I take into account the complex sample NSDUH dasign in M-Plus? There's a weight variable, a strata variable and a psu (primary sampling unit)variable. I believe that I can add the weight variable just by specifying the Weight in the input file. But how do I add strata and psu?
Do I need or not to use Type=complex?

Thanks,

Silvia Martins
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 9:10 am
There is a discussion of the complex survey data features of Mplus in Chapter 14 of the user's guide. I think this will answer your questions. You do not need TYPE=COMPLEX if you have only a weight variable. You need either TYPE=COMPLEX or TYPE=TWOLEVEL if you are using other complex survey data features.
 Silvia S Martins  posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 9:28 am
Thank you Linda! I read the discussion and it answered my questions.

Silvia
 Silvia S Martins  posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 11:21 am
Linda

After reading Chapter 14, I decided to ask my research assistant to ran a model using NSDUH data including weight, strata and psu.
She's getting errors using the statification and cluster options. When she types both into the Variable command (as below), she gets an error, "unknown option: stratification". Additionally, when she takes out the statification option she gets the error "The labels %WITHIN% or %BETWEEN% must be specified before class labels".

How does she solve this? Is it really necessary to add strata and psu when we just want to have sample weighted estimates?
Thanks,
Silvia
 Silvia S Martins  posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 11:23 am
Linda

As an extension of the former message, this is one of the models than she ran (last message was two long so I split it in 2):

IINPUT INSTRUCTIONS
Title: Alcohol NSDUH LCA;
Data:File is F:\GSKalcohol\nsduhalcohol2.txt;
Variable:
NAMES ARE realid weight vestr verep getuse kplim
toleranc cutdown ctprb lessact withd;
USEVARIABLES ARE getuse kplim toleranc cutdown
ctprb lessact withd;
Missing are all (-9999) ;
Classes= c(1);
Categorical= getuse kplim toleranc cutdown
ctprb lessact withd;
Weight= weight;
Within are getuse kplim toleranc cutdown
ctprb lessact withd;
stratification is vestr;
cluster= verep;
Analysis:
TYPE = complex twolevel mixture;
MODEL: %overall%
%c#1%
[getuse$1*1.4 kplim$1*1.4 toleranc$1*1.4
cutdown$1*1.4 ctprb$1*1.4 lessact$1*1.4
withd$1*1.4];
Savedata:File is F:\GSKalcohol\weightps1.txt;
Save=cprob;
Plot:
Type is plot3;
series is getuse(1) kplim(2) toleranc(3)
cutdown(4) ctprb(5) lessact(6) withd(7);
*** ERROR in Variable command
Unknown option:
stratification
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 11:30 am
We ask that Mplus Discussion posts not exceed the space available in one window and not include input and output. Please send the input, data, output, and license number to support@statmodel.com and I will be happy to look at it.
 Silvia S Martins  posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 3:17 pm
Linda

Is there a maximum number of observations that M-Plus can handle? For instance, if I have a datset with 110,000 individuals and 7 variables will M-plus be able to run LCA analyses?

Thanks,

Silvia
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 3:41 pm
There is not maximum to the number of observations in Mplus.
 Moh Yin Chang posted on Wednesday, April 22, 2009 - 9:41 am
Hi,

Can I plot weighted longitudinal survey data? Does Mplus automatically produce a weighted plot when weight = is specified?

Thanks.
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Wednesday, April 22, 2009 - 9:54 am
If the WEIGHT option is used, the weighted results are plotted.
 Cecily Na posted on Friday, February 15, 2013 - 12:45 pm
Hello professors,
I am working on a national survey with strata (no clusters). I plan to use only subpopulation defined by two variables (majority individuals + living in metropolitan areas). I also need to use weights. So I should use type=complex? However, my analysis is a two-level model, with variables associated with individuals and stratum-level variables. How can I take that into account?
Also when subpopulation is defined by condition A and B, what's the syntax?
(Subpopulation is condition 1= A and condition 2 =B; ?)

Thank you very much for your time!
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Friday, February 15, 2013 - 1:45 pm
Perhaps you want to do a multiple-group analysis using type=complex (for the weights), where the groups are defined by the strata.
 Cecily Na posted on Friday, February 15, 2013 - 4:23 pm
Thank you Bengt. A follow-up question. When I am only interested in a sub-population, can I just use the sub-sample with unchanged weights?
Thank you.
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Friday, February 15, 2013 - 4:48 pm
Yes.
 Simon Goldberg posted on Friday, July 27, 2018 - 2:07 pm
I am running an LCA model using complex survey data (NESARC-III). I want to add in auxiliary categorical variables using the dcategorical command, but received the following error. Is there an alternative approach I can use? Or another fix?

*** ERROR in VARIABLE command
Auxiliary variables with DCATEGORICAL or DCONTINUOUS are not available with
TYPE=MIXTURE COMPLEX.
 Tihomir Asparouhov posted on Friday, July 27, 2018 - 4:27 pm
You can use the manual 3-step or BCH procedures instead. See Section 3 of web note 15 and Section 3 of web note 21.
Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: