Covariate types in regression PreviousNext
Mplus Discussion > Multilevel Data/Complex Sample >
Message/Author
 Michael posted on Friday, February 09, 2018 - 6:38 am
Hello,

I'm looking to conceptualize a basic multi-level regression model and am asking for guidance on which standardized output option to use, 'stdyx' or 'stdy,' given my situation.

Here is the basic layout: I want to examine adversity (# of adverse events) as a predictor of memory (a continuous score) controlling for basic covariates in a sample of children/siblings clustered within families. The children (and their families) also come from 2 different distinct cohorts.

The variables:

memory = dependent variable, continuous score
adversity = # of adverse events, independent variable, continuous
age = covariate, continuous
sex = covariate, dichotomous
cohort = covariate, dichotomous
FAMID = cluster variable

Age and sex are limited to the 'within' level, and cohort is limited to the 'between' level. I allow adversity to be modeled at both levels

Example syntax:

usevar = memory adversity age sex cohort;
within = age sex;
between = cohort;
cluster = FAMID;

ANALYSIS: type = twolevel;

MODEL: %within%
Memory ON adversity age sex;

%between%
Memory ON adversity cohort;

OUTPUT: sampstat stdyx;
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Friday, February 09, 2018 - 5:02 pm
For a continuous predictor, use STDYX.

For a binary predictor, use STDY.
 Michael posted on Monday, February 12, 2018 - 9:46 am
Thanks Bengt, quick follow-up to see if I have it right:

So for my example model I shared with both continuous and dichotomous predictors at both within and between levels, should I run the model both ways?

Once with STDYX to report the results for the continuous predictors, and then again but with STDY for the results for the binary ones? In that case, which one (STDYX or STDY) would I use to report all the effects in the 'between' model?
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Monday, February 12, 2018 - 10:26 am
You don't have to run it twice - if you ask for standardized you get all the versions in the output. So you just pick from different parts of the output.
Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: