Latent group-mean centering PreviousNext
Mplus Discussion > Multilevel Data/Complex Sample >
Message/Author
 Giselle Guan posted on Saturday, April 04, 2020 - 10:00 pm
Dear Dr. Muthen,

I am confused by the descriptions about how Mplus (version 8.2) centers variables that are not mentioned on neither "WITHIN" nor "BETWEEN".

In the User Book (Version 8, pp. 274-275) the following explanations are provided:

"When a covariate is not mentioned on the WITHIN statement, it is decomposed into two uncorrelated latent variable... This decomposition can be viewed as an implicit, latent group-mean centering of the latent within-level covariate"

After reading this description, I am very confused. What is the difference between this "latent group-mean centering" and group-mean centering Mplus does by using
"DEFINE: center x y m(groupmean)"?

When writing the Method part in my paper, is it correct to equal this "latent group-mean centering" with normal group-mean centering, and simply say, all these variables are group-mean centered?

Thank you!
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Sunday, April 05, 2020 - 5:27 pm
No, the two approaches are different and usually the centering using the latent variable decomposition is better. This is described in the 2 papers:

Lüdtke, O., Marsh, H.W., Robitzsch, A., Trautwein, U., Asparouhov, T., & Muthén, B. (2008). The multilevel latent covariate model: A new, more reliable approach to group-level effects in contextual studies. Psychological Methods, 13, 203-229.

Asparouhov, T., & Muthén, B. (2019). Latent variable centering of predictors and mediators in multilevel and time-series models. Structural Equation Modeling: A Multidisciplinary Journal, 26, 119-142. DOI: 10.1080/10705511.2018.1511375
 song hye sun posted on Tuesday, September 08, 2020 - 2:01 am
Dear. Muthen

Hello, I have a question while studying DSEM.

In example 9.31 of userguide 8, the covariate X is person mean centering, but can't the covariate be latent person mean centering?

I wonder why you did cluster mean centering(person mean centering). If I can do latent person man entering, how should I set the code?

Thank you always.
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Wednesday, September 09, 2020 - 5:08 pm
Latent centering wasn't available with random slope when UG example 9.31 was written but today I would do it that way instead.
 song hye sun posted on Friday, September 11, 2020 - 6:35 am
Thank you!!

if X (group mean) is not separately set in DEFINE, is latent person mean centering?
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Friday, September 11, 2020 - 6:00 pm
Yes, if you don't put the X on the Within or Between list. Unless the output states that latent variable decomposition cannot be made.
Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: