Multilevel Path Analyses PreviousNext
Mplus Discussion > Multilevel Data/Complex Sample >
Message/Author
 Erik Thoonen posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 2:17 am
To answer the question whether differences in perceptions (teachers vs. school leader) of school leaders' leadership influence organizational variables, I would like to perform a multilevel path analysis (intraclass correlation between schools <.25)

The next input I used to perform the first analysis:

VARIABLE: NAMES ARE school A_popul wel07m par07m iv07m perlv perlic perlis;
BETWEEN = A_popul;
CLUSTER = school;
MISSING ARE ALL (-1);
ANALYSIS: TYPE = TWOLEVEL;
MODEL: %WITHIN%
par07m wel07m iv07m ON perlv; (etc.)
%BETWEEN%
par07m wel07m iv07m ON perlv;
(etc.)
perlv perlic perlis ON A_popul;
However, Mplus could not run this input and gave me the next error messages:

*** ERROR in Model command
Variable is a y-variable on the BETWEEN level but is an x-variable
on the WITHIN level: PERLV
(same for other per-variables)

"A_popul" means the number of students and is equal for all teachers of the same school, and therefore automatically a between-variable.

Mu question is: how can I run this path analyses in which the variables: perlv, perlic, perlis can be the X-variabel on the within-level, but are an intermediate variable on the between-level?

Or is this not possible at all?

Thanks a lot!
 Boliang Guo posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 2:46 am
you pls read following paper for reference.
Krull, J. L. & MacKinnon, D. P. (1999). Multilevel Mediation Modeling in Group-Based Intervention Studies. Evaluation Review, 23, 418-444.
Krull, J. L. & MacKinnon, D. P. (2001). Multilevel modeling of individual and group level mediated effects. Multivariate Behavioral Research, 36, 249-277.
MacKinnon, D. P. (2007). Introduction to Statistical Mediation Analysis. Mahwah, NJ: Erlbaum.
multilevel path analysis is easy to set up for 2-2-1, 1-1-1 and 2-1-1 model, not available foe 1-2-1 model, which the depend variable(M) is level 2 variable but the predicator is level 1 variable, there is a latest paper in PM2007 show the multilevel equation for level 2 dependent variable predicated by level 1 variable, pls have a look for reference.you can find it in Mplus web.
 Erik Thoonen posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 7:18 am
With regard to the mentioned model, my model estimates that A_popul (level-2) has an influence on perlv, perlic, perlis (level-1) which influence organizational variables (level-1). So I consider only A_popul as a between-variable, because there is no variation within schools regarding the number of students.
So, isn't it that I have a 2-1-1 model or do I misunderstand something?
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 6:10 pm
Look at the Mplus V5 UG ex 9.4 and 9.9 using the WLSM estimator.
Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: