Bayes multilevel analysis PreviousNext
Mplus Discussion > Multilevel Data/Complex Sample >
Message/Author
 Mathias Höglund posted on Thursday, August 05, 2010 - 2:20 am
Hello Linda & Bengt,

Inspired by the new features in mplus version 6 I am trying to estimate a multilevel latent covariate model using Bayes estimation in a sample of 192 individuals in 32 teams. I have a couple of questions regarding this analysis.

a) Is there a way to obtain any fit statistics for this model using Bayes?

b) In a multilevel CFA with three factor indicators I get abnormally large variance estimates for the between level factor under Bayes but not under MLR when centering (grandmean) the factor indicators. The input I use is:

Centering = GRANDMEAN(Factor1 Factor2 Factor3);

ANALYSIS: Type = twolevel;
Estimator = bayes;
Process = 2;
STVAL = ML;
MODEL:

%within%
HRMw by Factor1 Factor2 Factor3;

%between%
HRMb by Factor1 Factor2 Factor3;
Factor1-Factor3@0;
 Mathias Höglund posted on Thursday, August 05, 2010 - 6:29 am
Sorry,

Is there something to be done about this problem report:

THE MODEL ESTIMATION DID NOT TERMINATE NORMALLY.
THE POSTERIOR COVARIANCE MATRIX FOR THE PARAMETERS
IS NOT POSITIVE DEFINITE, AS IT SHOULD BE.

THE PROBLEM OCCURRED IN CHAIN 1.

I get the model to converge under MLR (with biased estimates) but not under Bayes. Is there a way around it?

My input is:

ANALYSIS: Type = twolevel;
Estimator = bayes;
Process = 2;
BITER = 100000;

MODEL:

%within%
HRMw by Factor1 Factor2 Factor3;
RAw by RA1 RA2 RA5;
ACw by Ac1 Ac2 Ac3rev;
ac1@0;
ACw on Raw HRMw;
Acw on HRMW;

%between%
HRMb by Factor1 Factor2 Factor3;
Factor1-Factor3@0;
RAb by RA1 RA2 RA5;
RA1-RA5@0;
ACb by Ac1 Ac2 Ac3rev;
Ac1-Ac3rev@0;

ACb on RAb HRMb;
RAb on HRMb;
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Thursday, August 05, 2010 - 10:41 am
With maximum likelihood estimation, fixing small variances to zero helps in model estimation. With Bayesian analysis it does not. Remove all of the statements where you have variances fixed at zero.
 Mathias Höglund posted on Thursday, August 05, 2010 - 11:14 am
Thanks Linda!

I tried removing all the variances fixed at 0. But how can I make sure that I use the same factor at both levels if I remove the variances fixed at 0 from the between level?

Also, even after this I get the error message. From the results that are given it seems that the estimates for the indicators of the HRMb factor are not correctly estimated:

RESULTS:
Between Level

HRMB BY
FACTOR1 1.000
FACTOR2 74828.477
FACTOR3 *********

RAB BY
RA1 1.000
RA2 72.132
RA5 -1361.438

ACB BY
AC1 1.000
AC2 1.189
AC3REV 0.561

ACB ON
RAB -2999.736
HRMB *********

RAB ON
HRMB -249.932

Intercepts
RA1 -0.056
RA2 -0.091
RA5 -0.283
AC1 0.098
AC2 -0.036
AC3REV -0.016
FACTOR1 -0.112
FACTOR2 -0.024
FACTOR3 -0.026

Variances
HRMB 0.000

Also, the residual variance of RAB is 0.
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Thursday, August 05, 2010 - 12:23 pm
Please send the full output and your license number to support@statmodel.com.
 Mathias Höglund posted on Monday, September 06, 2010 - 2:30 pm
Hello again,

I have two short questions with regards to a twolevel analysis using estimator = bayes.

1. Is there a way to get fit statistics for a twolevel bayes analysis?
2. I'm freely estimating the first factor loading of a factor and fixing the variance of the factor at 1. Is it ok to do this for only one factor in the model or do I have to use the same parametrization for all factors?
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Monday, September 06, 2010 - 3:52 pm
1. In principle, yes. In current Mplus, no. Compare neighboring models instead.

2. It should be ok in principle, although I don't off hand recall if it violates the current Bayes restrictions on which type of Psi matrices can be handled - try it.
 ywang posted on Thursday, September 23, 2010 - 1:49 pm
Dear Drs. Muthen:
Parallel growth modeling with Bayesian method for categorical indicator variables (fixed time scores) can not converge even if I increased the integration number to 5000. Here is the error message and input. Any advice? Thanks in advance.

THE CONVERGENCE CRITERION IS NOT SATISFIED.
INCREASE THE MAXIMUM NUMBER OF ITERATIONS OR INCREASE
THE CONVERGENCE CRITERION.

categorical are bmi1 bmi2 bmi3 stnbdi_b stnbdi_6 stnbdi_8;

Analysis:
integration = 5000;
ESTIMATOR=BAYES;
process = 4;
Model:
i1 s1| stnbdi_b @0 stnbdi_6 @0.8 stnbdi_8@2;
i2 s2| bmi1@0 bmi2@0.8 bmi3@2;
s2 on i1 ;
s1 on i2 ;
i1 with i2;
s1 s2 i1 i2 on male;
s2 on intervention;

output: tech1 tech8;
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Thursday, September 23, 2010 - 2:17 pm
The INTEGRATION option should not be used with ESTIMATOR=BAYES; I suspect that you are not actually getting BAYES but MLR.

I would suggest running each process separately as a first step. Then put the processes together. After success with this, you can add the regression among the growth factors and the covariates. If you continue to have problems, send the files and your license number to support@statmodel.com.
 Ewan Carr posted on Thursday, December 16, 2010 - 8:11 am
I'm interested in a two-level analysis using the Bayes estimator. It was mentioned above that fit statistics are not currently available for such models in Mplus, and that we should "compare nested models", instead.

1. Is this still the case?

2. How would I compare nested models in this case (with a two level model, using the Bayes estimator)?

Many thanks,

Ewan
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Thursday, December 16, 2010 - 2:59 pm
1. Yes.
2. We aren't able to do that at this time.
 Ewan Carr posted on Wednesday, March 16, 2011 - 12:35 pm
I'm getting slightly confused about the "THIN" option for Bayesian estimation.

I'm running a two-level factor model, using estimator = BAYES. I want to run 50,000 or 100,000 iterations, and then thin the output by 50, giving 1000 or 2000 samples, respectively.

I started out using:

FBITER = 100000;
THIN = 50;

Thinking this would achieve the above. However, the model is taking a very (very) long time to run. It then occurred to me that these settings might be causing the model to run for 5 million (50 x 100000) iterations.. which would explain the slow progress.

If that is the case, then to achieve the above I should use:

FBITER = 2000;
THIN = 50;

Some clarification about what the FBITER and THIN settings achieve would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Ewan
 Tihomir Asparouhov posted on Wednesday, March 16, 2011 - 4:41 pm
This is correct Ewan. FBITER refers to the actual number of iterations that are recorded, i.e., it does not include those that are thinned out.
So
FBITER = 2000;
THIN = 50;
would result in 100000 computed MCMC iterations of which every 50-th is recorded for estimation purposes.
 Ewan Carr posted on Thursday, March 17, 2011 - 5:03 am
Thanks Tihomir.

That would explain why things were taking so long..
 Unai Elorza posted on Friday, June 17, 2011 - 8:20 am
Dear Drs. Muthén,

I am running a multilevel (random intercept and random slope) analysis with a ESTIMATOR=Bayes. I get a result that is confusing me a little bit:

The point estimate of the SLOPE ON W is:
0,118; SD 0,077; p-value 0,040 and 95% Confidence Interval: -0,013-0,27.

The p-value is lower than 0,05 (significance level) though the Confidence interval is not excluding the zero (lower limit -0,013 and upper limit 0,27).

From my point of view it is a contradiction. Could you help me interpreting these results? Thank you very much in advance.

Unai
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Friday, June 17, 2011 - 9:13 am
For a positive estimate as you have, the p-value is the proportion of the posterior that is less than zero, so it is not a contradiction. From a frequentist point of view you can think of that as the chance that the true value is of opposite sign.
 Unai Elorza posted on Sunday, June 19, 2011 - 11:34 pm
Thank you Dr. Muthén.
 Rob Dvorak posted on Saturday, August 20, 2011 - 6:06 am
First, let me apologize for my ignorance. But it seems a lot of us out here are running into the issue, so I thought I'd post on it. I'm trying to wrap my head around the use of a one-tailed test using estimator=bayes. I would like to use the bayes estimator for the reasons you mention in your intro to bayes paper, however, my working knowledge of bayes is weak. Can you recommend a reading for a scientist (not a statistician) that explains the logic of the one-tailed test in bayes for those of us who are used to two-tailed b/c we're trained as frequentists? I'm sure I will need to justify the use of a one-tailed test in any papers I publish, so a reference (and rationale) for this would be great. Thanks.
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Saturday, August 20, 2011 - 9:05 am
I quote from the paper on our web site

Muthén, B. (2010). Bayesian analysis in Mplus: A brief introduction. Technical Report. Version 3.

"The third column gives a one-tailed p-value based on the posterior distribution. For a positive estimate, the p-value is the proportion of the posterior distribution that is below zero. For a negative estimate, the p-value is the proportion of the posterior distribution that is above zero."

So if you get a positive effect estimate, this two-tailed p-value can be seen as the probability that it is negative, that is, that it's not the effect you had expected.

However, I would instead report the more common 95% Bayesian credibility interval (CI) that we show and note if that covers zero or not. But at a first glance, instead of looking for CIs covering zero, the two-tailed p-value is a quick way to scan the results for almost zero p-values - which imply that the CIs likely don't cover zero.
 Rob Dvorak posted on Sunday, August 21, 2011 - 4:00 am
Thanks for the explanation.
 Sarah Depaoli posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2012 - 3:25 pm
Is it currently possible to estimate a model with "estimator=BAYES" and "type = twolevel mixture"?
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2012 - 3:36 pm
No, not yet.
 Lindsay Bell posted on Friday, June 01, 2012 - 10:09 am
Hi -

I am doing a two-level Bayesian analysis using this syntax:

ANALYSIS:
TYPE=TWOLEVEL;
ESTIMATOR=BAYES;
POINT=MODE;

I have discovered that in my output, the "estimate" reported, which I had assumed was the mode of the posterior parameter distribution, is slightly different from the mode of the distribution that is shown when I view the posterior distribution graphs (i.e., estimate in output is .27, mode in graph is .31). The 95% CCI bounds, however, are identical in the output and the graphs. Can you help me understand this discrepancy and advice me on which point estimate to report?

Thank you,
Lindsay
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Friday, June 01, 2012 - 11:15 am
Our regular output gives the multivariate and the plot the univariate mode. The mode (and CI) in the plot is deduced from the values used in the plot. The multivariate mode should be reported.
 Lindsay Bell posted on Sunday, June 03, 2012 - 8:50 pm
Hi -

Thanks for your answer. I have come across another issue this weekend. When I run the analysis as a standard two level model with the default estimator, I get an error message about a non-positive definite matrix because the model has more parameters than there are clusters. However, when I run the analysis with the Bayesian estimator, I don't get that error message. Is that because it's ok to have more parameters than clusters in a Bayesian two-level analysis? Can I feel comfortable with those results or do I need to reduce the number of parameters?

Thank you,
Lindsay
 Tihomir Asparouhov posted on Monday, June 04, 2012 - 11:11 am
The missing error message should not be interpreted as an endorsement of one
method over the other. ML is entirely based on asymptotic assumptions driven
by the number of clusters converging to infinity. Bayes is not but if the
number of clusters is smaller than 10 the estimates will be sensitive to the
priors.

The error message is based on a technical threshold point - we use the MLF
matrix for standard errors but that matrix is singular iff the number of
parameters is more than the number of clusters - thus the model behaves
somewhat as an unidentified model and our ability to confirm model
identification is limited. Bayes doesn't have this threshold as it uses
different methods for identifications etc (with Bayes the number of clusters
should be bigger than the number of random effects though).
 Lindsay Bell posted on Monday, June 04, 2012 - 11:17 am
Ok, thank you, that helps. I have 35 clusters so I'm not concerned about sensitivity to priors.

I have also noticed that the error message doesn't appear when I use multiply imputed data, even when using a ML estimator with more parameters than clusters. Is there a reason that more parameters than clusters would be ok with multiply imputed data?

Thanks,
Lindsay
 Tihomir Asparouhov posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2012 - 9:30 am
No Lindsay ... but I didn't say it was not ok. We have conducted simulation studies that show that ML works fine even when the number of clusters is smaller than the number of parameters. The error message says that it is not possible to confirm that the model is identified. If you already know the model is identified you should just ignore that warning.
 Lindsay Bell posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2012 - 6:39 pm
Thanks very much, Tihomir. I've been trying to figure out how to get quantiles of the posterior parameter distributions so that I can determine, for example, what percentage of two parameters' posterior distributions overlap, or where the cutoff is for 80% of the distribution. Can you tell me how I can get quantiles for the posterior distributions? I haven't been able to figure it out from the manual.

Lindsay
 Lindsay Bell posted on Thursday, June 07, 2012 - 6:58 am
So sorry for the multiple posts. Additionally, I am trying to determine whether the model fits better when all the data are analyzed together vs. separate models for subgroups. However, because the GROUPING options is not available with ESTIMATOR=BAYES, I can't figure out how to allow parameters to be estimated separately for groups in the same model so that I can compare the fit to the model with all parameters forced to be equal. Do you have any advice on how I can compare the fit of the subgroup model to the full model?

Thank you,
Lindsay
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Thursday, June 07, 2012 - 10:50 am
I would use MODEL CONSTRAINT to create a NEW parameter that is the difference between the two parameters.

With Bayes, multiple group analysis is done with MIXTURE and KNOWNCLASS.
 Lindsay Bell posted on Thursday, June 07, 2012 - 4:34 pm
Linda -

From my understanding, I don't think I can use MIXTURE because I don't have a latent class. I also don't know how to create a new parameter from the subgroup parameters, because as of now, the only way I can think to analyze the subgroups separately is to use USEOBSERVATIONS and select each group one at a time. Can you elaborate on how I could do the subgroup analysis in one model?

Also, a separate question: I've been trying to figure out how to get quantiles of the posterior parameter distributions so that I can determine, for example, what percentage of two parameters' posterior distributions overlap, or where the cutoff is for 80% of the distribution. Can you tell me how I can get quantiles for the posterior distributions? I haven't been able to figure it out from the manual.

Thanks so much for your help!

Lindsay
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Friday, June 08, 2012 - 11:19 am
When all classes are known in mixture, it is the same as multiple group analysis. This is simply how we do multiple group analysis with Bayes -- via MIXTURE KNOWNCLASS.

The suggestion to use MODEL CONSTRAINT to create a NEW parameter that is the difference between the two parameters is the answer to your second paragraph.
 Lindsay Bell posted on Friday, June 08, 2012 - 2:48 pm
Thank you, I understand now. I apologize for my confusion.

I am still struggling with how to assess model fit. I was hoping to be able to compare the Deviance Information Criterion from the unconstrained model to the model with all parameters constrained to be equal across groups, but with the MIXTURE analysis, the DIC is not appearing in the output. Is there a way for me to get the DIC with TYPE=MIXTURE?

If not, is there another index of fit I could use? The posterior predictive p-value is not showing up in the output, which I am assuming is because I am using TYPE=MIXTURE COMPLEX, but I'm not sure about that.

Thank you,
Lindsay
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Friday, June 08, 2012 - 3:32 pm
One simple way is to use

new(d);
d=p1-p2;

where p1 is a parameter in one group and p2 the same parameter in another group. If d is significant the unconstrained model fits better.
 Lindsay Bell posted on Friday, June 15, 2012 - 2:48 pm
Linda -

I apologize, but I am still having trouble understanding your recommendation for determining what percentage of two parameters' posterior distributions are overlapping.

For example, in Group A, the 95% CCI for parameter 1 is (-.12, .29); in Group B, it is (.23, .83), so these intervals overlap between .23 and .29. I would like to know what percentage of the posterior distribution for Group A is >.23 and for Group B is <.29.

I created a new parameter that is the difference of the two groups' parameters. This new difference parameter has a CCI of (.06, .49). However, I don't know how to translate this information into the answer I'm looking for.

Thank you,
Lindsay
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Saturday, June 16, 2012 - 9:32 am
How about a normal approximation? You have the mean and SD of A's posterior distribution and can then compute Prob(A >.23).
 Tihomir Asparouhov posted on Monday, June 18, 2012 - 10:44 am
Lindsay

If you are interested in the proportion of Group A > Group B this is given in the column "One-Tailed P-Value" for the difference of the two groups' parameters. I think this is what you want.

All other probabilities can be computed by external means after getting the posterior distributions of the parameters from Mplus (using savedata: bparameters=1.dat;).
 M Hamd posted on Saturday, June 30, 2012 - 5:06 pm
Hello Mplus team

I am running a multilevel mediation model with bayesian estimator. The full model terminates normally.

However, when I test independent measurement models e.g.,

between
TC by f1-f6;
within
ic by f1-f6;

I get this message:

" THE MODEL ESTIMATION DID NOT TERMINATE NORMALLY.
THE POSTERIOR COVARIANCE MATRIX FOR THE PARAMETERS
IS NOT POSITIVE DEFINITE, AS IT SHOULD BE.

PROBLEM INVOLVING VARIABLES F6 AND TC."

Please note that I am able to run this analysis and the full model with MLR estimate as well.

I would appreciate some help.
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Sunday, July 01, 2012 - 10:50 am
Please send the MLR and Bayes outputs and your license number to support@statmodel.com.
 M Hamd posted on Thursday, July 05, 2012 - 2:53 pm
Just in case someone else faces the problem, my communication with Mplus team resolved the issue. It seems that the following factor parametrization is better for Bayesian.

TC by f1-f6*;
TC@1;

i.e., instead of setting first indicator loading to zero, use the residual var of factor is 1.
* is used to override default parametrization (i.e., first indicator loading is zero.
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Thursday, July 05, 2012 - 3:53 pm
This is true in some but not most cases.
 Ewan Carr posted on Friday, July 13, 2012 - 2:48 pm
I'm trying to a fit a two-level model with the Bayes estimator.

I have a binary mediator (x3 is binary; everything else is continuous):

%WITHIN%

x3 ON x1 x2;
y ON x1 x2 x3;

%BETWEEN%

y ON w1 w2;
x3 ON w1 w2;
y ON x3;

Everything works fine, except I'm having a problem with the between-level threshold of the binary mediator (i.e. [x3$1]).

The mixing of the chains for this threshold is really, really bad (traceplot), and the parameters — for both the threshold and the residual variances — tend to infinity (they increase with the number of iterations). Diagnostics for other parameters seem fine.

Is there anything (obvious) I can do about this? Specifically:

• Are there any alternative priors that might improve mixing for the threshold?
  • How important is it to set a binary mediator as categorical?

Thanks!
 Tihomir Asparouhov posted on Friday, July 13, 2012 - 3:28 pm
I would say try this alternative parameterization that eliminates the threshold and instead estimates a mean for X3 via regression on ONE. I cant quite see where the poor mixing comes from but it could be due to small number of between level clusters. You can also run this model with WLSMV estimator and ML, but for ML it is a bit harder to setup. If you want to try changing priors - the place to look would be the variances on the between level - IG(1,1) often improves the situation.

Here are the commands you need for the alternative parameterization (X3 on ONE is minus the threshold)

data: ...
variance=nocheck;

define: ONE=1;

variables:
usevar= y x1-x3 w1-w2 ONE
between=ONE;

model:

%WITHIN%
x3 ON x1 x2;
y ON x1 x2 x3;

%BETWEEN%
[x3$1@0];
y ON w1 w2;
x3 ON w1 w2 ONE;
y ON x3;
 Tihomir Asparouhov posted on Friday, July 13, 2012 - 3:47 pm
Just realized where the poor mixing comes from -- the threshold parameter is highly correlated with X3_between, which is particularly poor when the size of the clusters is large. The above parameterization should resolve your problem - if not send it to support@statmodel.com.
 Ewan Carr posted on Friday, July 13, 2012 - 3:48 pm
Thank you!!

That is amazing —  the chains are mixing very well now, and the parameters don't tend off to infinity.

e.g. the traceplot for the "x3 ON ONE" parameter.

I'll test it fully tomorrow, with all the control variables/etc, but that alternative parameterization seems to have done it.

Thanks, for such a speedy and useful response. It's much appreciated.
 Ewan Carr posted on Friday, July 13, 2012 - 3:49 pm

quote:

Just realized where the poor mixing comes from...

Thanks, that's good to know.

Ewan
--
 Keivn Linares posted on Monday, January 14, 2013 - 1:08 pm
Hello Mplus team,

While fitting a 3-level multilevel model to my data I encountered this problem:

WARNING: A VARIABLE HAS A FREE MEAN AND VARIANCE FIXED TO ZERO. THIS MAY LEAD TO POOR CONVERGENCE AND MIXING.TO AVOID THIS, ESTIMATE THE MEAN ON A LEVEL WHERE THE VARIANCE IS FREE.

How would I go about this in my model?

CLUSTER = Level3 Level2;
WITHIN = x1 x2;
BETWEEN =(Level2) z1 z2
(Level3) w1 w2 w3 w4 w5 w6
w7-w8(covariates);

ANALYSIS:
ESTIMATOR = bayes;
FBITERATIONS = 40000;
TYPE = THREELEVEL RANDOM;

MODEL:
%WITHIN%
Y ON x1 x2;

%BETWEEN level2%
Y ON z1;
beta1 | y ON z2;

%BETWEEN level3%
Y ON w1 w2 w3 w4 w5 w6;
w1 w2 w3 w4 w5 w6 ON w7 w8;
beta1 ON W7;
beta1 @0;

!yij = beta0 + beta1j xij + rij;
!beta1j = gamma10 + gamma11 wj + u1j;

Thank you,

Kevin
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Monday, January 14, 2013 - 5:22 pm
You put the residual variance at zero: beta1@0. This may hurt the computations of the beta1 intercept. Why not free that residual variance - an R-square of 1 does not seem realistic.
 Keivn Linares posted on Sunday, January 27, 2013 - 8:26 pm
When I run the model after using Bayes imputation the program runs for about 5 seconds and stops but does not show any error. Is it possible to use type = imputation and type = threelevel random?

Kevin

TITLE: ml project model 1

DATA:
FILE IS "C:\Users\kevin\Dropbox\ . . . . \SLMLM.5implist.dat";
type = imputation;

ANALYSIS:
ESTIMATOR = MLR; (same problem with bayes)
ITERATIONS = 1000;
CONVERGENCE = 0.00005;
COVERAGE = 0.10;
proc=2;
TYPE = THREELEVEL RANDOM;
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Monday, January 28, 2013 - 12:31 pm
You can use TYPE=IMPUTATION with TYPE=THREELEVEL RANDOM. Try running this on the first data set.
 Tanja Ka posted on Wednesday, March 06, 2013 - 11:03 am
Hello,
I'm estimating a multilevel model with a random slope in Mplus7. When using the default gibbs algorithm, the model converges and everything looks fine. But when I switch to the gibbs (rw) algorithm, I don't get an output for the model. The model converges obviously (as I see by the PSR during the iterations), but the output is just a reproduction of the input file. It happens only in models with random slopes. Could this possibly be a minor bug? I'd like to switch to the gibbs (rw) algorithm to estimate two random slopes in one model.
Thanks a lot!
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Wednesday, March 06, 2013 - 11:42 am
Please send the input, data, output, and your license number to support@statmodel.com.
 Alexandru Cernat posted on Thursday, August 08, 2013 - 1:38 pm
I fitted a two-level model (binary dependent variable) using ESTIMATOR=bayes. I used the default prior, but the bayesian estimates did not resemble the maximum likelihood results (the model was fitted the same way) as they were supposed to. Any idea what could be the reason?

Thank you,
Alex
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Thursday, August 08, 2013 - 1:45 pm
Make sure you used link = probit for ML. If you did, send files to support.
 Ewan Carr posted on Thursday, August 22, 2013 - 9:16 am
MODELS WITH RANDOM SLOPES FOR CATEGORICAL VARIABLES CAN NOT BE ESTIMATED WITH THE BAYES ESTIMATOR.

Is this error message new to Version 7?

I have some models which include a random slope for a binary variable. These models ran OK (with the Bayes estimator) in Mplus 6.

Is there any way around this error?

Many thanks,

Ewan
--
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Thursday, August 22, 2013 - 10:51 am
Please send the two outputs, 6 and 7, and your license number to support@statmodel.com. I don't think this has changed.
 Ben Kelcey posted on Tuesday, September 17, 2013 - 12:02 pm
Good afternoon,
What options are there to compare the relative and absolute fit of twolevel or threelevel factor models estimated with bayes in Mplus or using output from Mplus?
Thanks
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Tuesday, September 17, 2013 - 1:30 pm
There isn't anything automatically produced. One approach is to use "neighboring" models that are less restrictive. For instance, BSEM can be used to allow residual covariances that can be checked for significance. See the article:

Muthén, B. & Asparouhov, T. (2012). Bayesian SEM: A more flexible representation of substantive theory. Psychological Methods, 17, 313-335.
 Linda Guo posted on Sunday, December 01, 2013 - 10:21 am
Hi Linda and Bengt:

I am trying to confirm results of a two-level model with a dichotomized outcome, by comparing estimations from MLWin and that from Mplus. I used Bayes estimation in Mplus and mcmc estimation in MLWin. However, the estimations from Mplus and MLWin appear to be quite different. Below are algorithms I specified in the two software packages.

For MLWin, I specified mcmc(burnin(2000) chain(20000)), and set the starting value to be the estimation from ML methods.

For Mplus, I specified Type = twolevel; Estimator= BAYES; Biterations = 2000; Fbiteration = 20000; and also manually set the starting value to be the estimation from ML methods.

The results of the default ML methods from the two software were the same by the way.I just started on Mplus, and am certainly not familiar with the algorithm used by Mplus. Is there a difference between Bayes estimation and MCMC estimation in the two software packages? Any suggestions on why the results are quite different? Thank you.
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Sunday, December 01, 2013 - 11:19 am
Have you checked that the programs use the same model, for instance the same number of parameters and logit/probit link?

MCMC is a technique to get Bayesian estimates that is used by both programs and the two programs should get the same results if set up to estimate the same model.
 Linda Guo posted on Monday, December 02, 2013 - 10:07 am
Hi Bengt:

I used logistic regression in MLWin, for Mplus, I specified in the variable section: categorical = my outcome; I first run the ML algorithm and got the same results from both softwares. However after I turn on MCMC in MLWin and Bayes in Mplus, results started to differ.In both sofwares, I have the same number of samples being used in the regression, and the same number of parameters, I'm not sure how to specify the link in Mplus, but I'm assuming after I specify categorical = my outcome, it should run the model as logistic regression?
Here's the command I use in to set up model in Mplus:
Variable:Names ARE VAR1 VAR2 VAR3 VAR4 VAR5 VAR6;,Missing ARE all (-9999); Categorical = VAR5;
Cluster = VAR6;
Within = VAR1 VAR2;
Between = VAR3 VAR4;
Analysis:
Type = twolevel;
Estimator= BAYES;
Biterations = 20000;
Fbiteration = 200000;
Model:
%Within%
VAR5 ON VAR1*-0.050 VAR2*-0.175;
%Between%
VAR5 ON VAR3*0.048 VAR4*0.167;
Regardless of whether I specify the starting values to be the ones from ML estimation, or not specify the starting values for each parameter, the results from Mplus are different from those I got from MLWin. Is there a problem in the code I use? Or where else do you think could have gone wrong?

Thank you.
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Monday, December 02, 2013 - 11:02 am
Bayes in Mplus uses probit link; see the Bayes papers we have posted. Mplus does not have logit link for Bayes. So request probit link for your MLWiN run.

ML starting values are not needed for Bayes in Mplus. No starting values need to be given. This avoids high-dimensional integration with ML for models with many latent variables.
 Linda Guo posted on Monday, December 02, 2013 - 12:04 pm
Hi Bengt:

I called the probit link in MLWiN,and didn't change anything else (distribution is binomial, number of parameter stays the same), but the results are still different as compared to those from Mplus. I removed the starting values in Mplus, and still didn't get the same results. What else could go wrong here?

Thanks.
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Monday, December 02, 2013 - 5:15 pm
Please send data, input, and output using TECH8 and TECH1 to Support. Also send a pdf of the MLWin output.
 'Alim Beveridge posted on Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 7:24 pm
Hello Bengt, Linda & Tihomir,

this is a question to make sure my conceptual understanding is correct. In models of clustered data estimated using ML or least squared, standard errors tend to be incorrect (underestimated in most cases) due to the non-independence of observations. Thus standard errors are 'corrected' using a sandwich estimator. Am I correct in my understanding that this is not the case in Bayesian estimation because the standard errors and p-values are derived from the posterior distribution of parameters, which is generated using Markov chain Monte Carlo (MCMC). This procedure does not assume that observations are independent. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Thanks, 'Alim
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Monday, February 10, 2014 - 3:27 pm
Unless you use Type=Twolevel, Bayes does not correct for non-independence among observations.
 Stefan Schneider posted on Monday, March 10, 2014 - 6:57 pm
Hi,
Is it possible to estimate between-level differences in within-level variances using a "random factor loadings" approach in cases where there is only a single outcome/indicator variable? I would like both intercept and variance of the random loading to be freely estimated on the between level (in order to enter between-level predictors). Below is what I tried (without person covariates). To avoid poor mixing, I fixed the residual within-level variance at an arbitrary value >0 (but smaller than the within-variance from a simple multilevel "null" model), and estimated the mean within-person variance (mwvar) as this residual plus the estimated mean loading (squared). The resulting model estimates do not appear completely unreasonable. However, (a) the value for “mwvar” always seems lower when using random loadings than when using a fixed loading, and (b) “mwvar” differs depending on the selected value of the residual variance. Especially (b) makes me believe I am doing something wrong. Your input would be greatly appreciated!

ANALYSIS:
estimator = bayes;
MODEL:
%within%
sigma | f by y;
f@1; y@0.1;
%between%
[sigma] (p1); sigma; y;
MODEL CONSTRAINT:
new (mwvar);
mwvar = 0.1 + p1**2;
 Tihomir Asparouhov posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 5:03 pm
Our favorite model for this purpose has been

MODEL:
%within%
sigma | f by y;
f; y@0;
%between%
[sigma@1]; sigma; y;

see equation
(24) and (25) in
http://statmodel.com/download/NCME_revision2.pdf

The entire section 5 in that paper discusses this issue but for latent variable. Your model also seem fine but I think the above model mixes better.

Var(y)= (sigma_j)^2

As a measure of stability of the model
Var(sigma_j) should be small ... smaller than 0.25 so that sigma_j>0 (otherwise interpretation would be hard). Now you can easily add predictors both for the random intercept and for the random variance.

For your model, in your model constraint you inherently are making the mistake regarding this statement
* if X and Y are independent
Var(XY) is not E(X)*E(X)*Var(Y)

it is var(x)*var(y) + E(X)*E(X)*Var(Y)+E(Y)*E(Y)*Var(x)

now applying to your case

mwvar = 0.1 + p1**2+v;

where v=Var(Sigma)

%between%
sigma (v);
 Stefan Schneider posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 6:28 pm
This works great, thank you very much!
 Jonathan L. Helm posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 2:26 pm
I am running a large simulation study and trying to diagnose conditions that lead to failed convergence of a particular model.

I am wondering if there is any difference between these two error messages:

THE POSTERIOR COVARIANCE MATRIX FOR PSI IS NOT POSITIVE DEFINITE, AS IT SHOULD BE.

and

THE PSI MATRIX IS NOT POSITIVE DEFINITE.

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

-Jon
 Tihomir Asparouhov posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 9:39 pm
Yes they are different matrices.
 Jonathan L. Helm posted on Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 12:06 pm
Is the former the PSI matrix formed from the estimates at the last update, and the latter is the PSI matrix based on the median of each of the respective chains after the PSR has converged?

Or are these referring to something else?
 Tihomir Asparouhov posted on Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 4:03 pm
The PSI matrix is formed from the estimates at the last update

The latter is the matrix from the posterior distribution of PSI that is used to generate PSI: it is E+Omega from formula (8) on page 7 http://statmodel.com/download/Bayes3.pdf
 Ronny Scherer posted on Sunday, May 04, 2014 - 3:39 am
Dear Mplus team,

I do have a question concerning a Multilevel CFA model that uses the Bayesian estimator. The manifest indicators were not restricted to the within level by using the within = ... command.

The model is specified as follows:

CLUSTER IS country;

ANALYSIS:

TYPE = TWOLEVEL;
ESTIMATOR = BAYES;
PROCESSORS = 4;
Bconvergence = 0.01;
Biterations = (30000);
Chains = 8;
Bseed = 511;

MODEL:

%within% ! students
f1w BY y1-y6;
f2w BY y7-y10;
f3w BY y11-y20;
f4w BY y21-y25;

%between% ! countries
f1b BY y1-y6;
f2b BY y7-y10;
f3b BY y11-y20;
f4b BY y21-y25;

OUTPUT:
tech1 tech8 stdyx cinterval(hpd);

The output looks quite nice and the estimation terminated normally. Checking the plots suggests convergence.

However, I do not get the DIC and the pD value. I also looked into your webnote#18 and the supplementary files (26-countries modeled as clusters). In there, the output of the Bayesian multilevel model also did not show the DIC and pD. Is there a general problem with these values in multilevel models? Do I need to tell Mplus to give me these values by using an additional command?

Many thanks for your comments in advance.
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Sunday, May 04, 2014 - 6:25 am
These values are not yet available for multilevel models.
 Lior Abramson posted on Wednesday, May 13, 2015 - 2:33 pm
Hello,

I have a mediation model with twins in my analysis, and therefore I used type= two level and estimator=Bayes.
I would like to report the standardized estimates of the variables,but as mentioned, MPLUS does not give standardized estimates of the direct, indirect and total effects in this case.

could you help and tell me what should I report instead?

Thank you a lot
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Thursday, May 14, 2015 - 10:37 am
Use SD(x) and SD(y) in the usual way for standardization at the level where mediation is considered.
 Tor Neilands posted on Wednesday, November 11, 2015 - 4:27 pm
I am planning to fit cross-classified multilevel models using a binary outcome with missing x-side and y-side data. My understanding is that the only supported estimator for such models in Mplus currently is BAYES.

To determine the significance of multi-category predictors such as race/ethnicity, if I were using a maximum likelihood, I would use MODEL TEST. For analyses involving the BAYES estimator, what is the recommended method for assessing the significance of a multi-category predictor such as race/ethnicity?

Thanks in advance,

Tor Neilands
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Wednesday, November 11, 2015 - 6:08 pm
With Bayes you can use Model Constraint where you express NEW parameters as functions of Model parameters. So you can express a difference between 2 parameters and then the Bayes posterior gives you the estimate and credibility interval for that new difference parameter.
 Tor Neilands posted on Friday, November 13, 2015 - 7:34 am
Thank you, Bengt.

Can this approach be used if there are 3 or more differences being tested? For instance, suppose I have a 4-category race/ethnicity variable 0=White, 1=Black, 2=Latino/Hispanic, 4=Other/Multi-Ethnic represented by three 0/1 dummy variables coded 1 each for Black, Latino/Hispanic, and Other/Multi-Ethnic, respectively. zero otherwise. If I want an overall or omnibus test for race/ethnicity, in an MLE-based analysis, I would use MODEL TEST (assuming White is the reference category), the 3 DF hypothesis: Black vs. White dummy = 0, Latino/Hispanic vs. White dummy = 0, and Other/Multi-Ethnic vs. White dummy = 0. My understanding is that Model Constraint can test single degree-of-freedom hypotheses, but not multiple DF hypotheses such as the one described above. So I could obtain the posterior for each of the three race dummies and use Model Constraint to set up pairwise comparisons of differences of the race dummies, but I'm not sure how to use it to test for a 3 or more degree of freedom test like the one described above?

Thanks again,

Tor
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Friday, November 13, 2015 - 10:12 am
You are right that an omnibus test is needed and Mplus currently does not have that for Bayes - I am putting it on our to-do list.
 Makoto Kyougoku posted on Thursday, August 11, 2016 - 11:44 pm
Dear Mplus developers,

I performed a multilevel IRT model with bayes estimator in my analysis.
I receive the message, and how do I work around?

PROBLEM OCCURRED IN THE COMPUTATION OF THE POSTERIOR PREDICTIVE P-VALUE.
THIS MAY BE DUE TO A SINGULAR SAMPLE VARIANCE COVARIANCE MATRIX, SUCH AS WITH ZERO SAMPLE VARIANCES.
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Friday, August 12, 2016 - 6:13 am
Do a TYPE=TWOLEVEL BASIC; with no MODEL command. Check your variances on within and between. You may not have variability on between for some variables.
 'Alim Beveridge posted on Friday, June 09, 2017 - 11:08 pm
Dear Drs. Muthen,

I am conducing a 3-level CFA using Bayesian estimation. I have 171 observations at Level 1, 57 L2 clusters, and 19 L3 clusters. I have noticed in several cases that if I reduce the indicators of L1 or L2 LVs from 6 to 4, the PPP improves considerably (from 0.030 to 0.322). The indicators I removed had good loadings, sometimes better than the indicators that remained. I wonder, is it possible that simply reducing the number of indicators, and therefore parameters, is enough to improve the PPP given the small n or number of clusters?
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Saturday, June 10, 2017 - 12:29 pm
It seems reasonable that larger models are less likely to have good fit - there are just so many more restrictions that have to hold.
 Joana Alexandra dos SAntos Costa posted on Friday, July 07, 2017 - 8:36 am
Dear Professor Muthén, As I said in my previous post in MPLus discussion group, I ´m a new user of MPlus.
I´m now performing a Bayes twolevel regression as sugested a couple of days ago, as I only had 20 clusters besides a 1229 individuas sample. A few days I contacted you based onde an error that the output was giving me and you suggestted that the variables on the BETWEEN list must have the same value for each cluster member. The data violates this as I hypothesized that level 2 variables also vary between cluster. I actually read the Bayes recomended paper (Muthén, 2010) and it say that intercept is random and slope is fixed. Is this the point that is condition my analysis?. I tried to understand however I´me having a lot of difficulties. Is it possible to have both level 1 and 2 predictors as random in Bayes analysis?
Sincerly,
Joana
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Friday, July 07, 2017 - 4:31 pm
Between-level variables vary across clusters, not within clusters. So there is not the violation you mention.

Intercepts and slopes can be random, that is, vary across clusters. Level-2 predictors cannot have random intercepts and slopes in a two-level analysis - because there is not a third level at which they would vary.
 MLsem posted on Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 2:39 am
Is it possible to estimate the model for equality of loadings between levels with
"ESTIMATOR IS BAYES" without reparametrizing the error covariances in the model?

ANALYSIS: TYPE = TWOLEVEL;

MODEL:

%WITHIN%

fw1 by item1*(1);
fw1 by item2 (2);
fw1 by item3 (3);
fw1 by item4 (4);
fw1 by item5 (5);
fw1@1;

item2 with item3;
item4 with item5;

%BETWEEN%

fb1 by item1*(1);
fb1 by item2 (2);
fb1 by item3 (3);
fb1 by item4 (4);
fb1 by item5 (5);
fb1@1;

item2 with item3;
item4 with item5;
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 2:45 pm
Yes.

When you hold the loadings equal you should not fix the factor variance at 1 on both levels, only on one of the levels.
 Christopher Bratt posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2018 - 9:37 am
Tihomir wrote earlier on this thread:

"Bayes is not but if the number of clusters is smaller than 10 the estimates will be sensitive to the priors."

I am surprised to see that indeed, if i have a cluster size of approximately 20, the posterior seems very little affected by the prior.

The overall sample size (within or level 1) is large, but I thought this should have negligible influence on the impact of priors at the between level. Reading Tihomir's post above, I wonder whether priors generally will fail to have any substantial effect at the between level when the number of cluster approaches 20 (which I thought should still be considered an area of small-sample size statistics).

I'd be thankful for clarifications!
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2018 - 11:54 am
For the case where you have cluster size 20, how many clusters do you have?

I would think that with 20 clusters, the default priors for between-level parameters have very little influence on the results.
 Katsuhiko Yoshikawa posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2018 - 6:35 pm
Hello,

I am running a three-level random-slope model with a categorical outcome on Mplus 7.31. The estimator is Bayes.

The model runs normally and the results look fine. However, PPP and DIC are not available in the output - based on prior posts, I guess it is because of the complexity of the model

My problem is even when I only include control variables and remove random slope component from the model, the output does not include PPP or DIC. Instead, it says,

PROBLEM OCCURRED IN THE COMPUTATION OF THE POSTERIOR PREDICTIVE P-VALUE.
THIS MAY BE DUE TO A SINGULAR SAMPLE VARIANCE COVARIANCE MATRIX, SUCH AS
WITH ZERO SAMPLE VARIANCES.

The sample size is 11000+ but the distribution of the outcome is heavily skewed with only 270 "1"s and 10000+ "0"s. I am wondering if this data structure is a problem, or there are other issues.

Katsu
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2018 - 5:49 pm
Please send your full output to Support along with your license number so we can see what's causing your error message. Send the data too if possible.
 Madison Aitken posted on Monday, January 28, 2019 - 7:02 pm
Dear Drs. Muthen,

I'm running a multilevel CFA with repeated measures using the Bayes estimator. I would like to compare the results across three groups. It seems that KNOWNCLASS isn't available for multilevel Bayes. How else could I compare the results across groups?

Thank you for any suggestions you have.
 Tihomir Asparouhov posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2019 - 12:54 pm
You might find it easier to do this with ML or WLSMV. If you want to use Bayes you would have to use a trick where you stack up the data next to each other.

For example, if you have 5 dependent variables - the new model would have 15 variables where y1-y5 would represent group 1, y6-y10 would represent group 2, y11-y15 would represent group 3. Since clusters won't be of the same size among the groups you would fill in missing values to make them equal. The model should be written so that the model for y1-y5 is independent of the model for y6-y10 which would be independent also of the model for y11-y15. Not super easy unfortunately but this is your only option with Bayes. Future version of Mplus will make knowclass available. If the grouping variable is a within level grouping variable things will get even more complex. You might find this note useful in that context
http://statmodel.com/examples/webnotes/webnote16.pdf
 Madison Aitken posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2019 - 10:34 pm
Hello Dr. Asparouhov,

Thank you for this very helpful explanation. If I've set it up correctly, the factors are now estimated separately for each group at the within level. This seems like it is different than estimating the factor structure for the whole sample, regressing the factors on time, and then comparing the regression coefficients across groups. Does this group-specific analysis affect how the factors are being estimated?

Similarly, would using a more limited sample (approximately 1/3 of the original sample for each treatment group) affect the results?

Thank you again!
 Tihomir Asparouhov posted on Thursday, January 31, 2019 - 1:52 pm
It does not affect the estimation. The same amount of information goes in and in principle you should get the same result. If you are using the whole sample you would be constraining the loadings to be the same across the three groups etc.

You have to note that with this model the indicators get different between parts for the different groups. If you don't want that you can constraint them on the between level like this
Y1B by Y1@1 y6@1 y11@1; Y1@0.01 Y6@0.01 y11@0.01;
I point this out since this is the big difference between the "the whole sample" model v.s. "the group specific" model.
 Madison Aitken posted on Monday, February 04, 2019 - 12:18 pm
Thank you, Dr. Asparouhov, that's very helpful. I have two follow-up questions:

1. In my initial attempts with the set-up you describe, I get the error message: "THE VARIANCE COVARIANCE MATRIX IS NOT SUPPORTED. ONLY FULL VARIANCE COVARIANCE BLOCKS ARE ALLOWED. USE ALGORITHM=GIBBS(RW) TO RESOLVE THIS PROBLEM." Is this to be expected with the data set-up you describe?

2. Is it possible to compare the groups in any other way (e.g., using saved Bayesian Plausible Values, or another manual approach)?

Thank you again for your help.
 Tihomir Asparouhov posted on Monday, February 04, 2019 - 3:08 pm
1. You have to make sure that the covariances between the three sets of variables are all fixed to 0

2. You can add dummy variables as predictos for the three groups. You can also run the three groups one at a time and compare parameter estimates - since the parameter estimates are independent Var(a-b) = Var(a)+Var(b)
 Madison Aitken posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2019 - 6:20 pm
Thank you, Dr. Asparouhov. I was able to get rid of the error message by following your suggestion in 1) above.

In your earlier message, you mentioned constraining the between parts of the model using:

Y1B by Y1@1 y6@1 y11@1;
Y1@0.01 Y6@0.01 y11@0.01;

I have 5 factors in my model - would I need to constrain the first item for each factor for each group, as below (_1, _2, _3 denote the group-specific variables)?

Y1B by f1_1@1 f1_2@1 f1_3@1...f5_1@0 f5_2@0 f5_3@0;

I also wondered why the value in the second portion is fixed at 0.01, and whether I can use this value in my situation.

I have been very grateful for your input, which has been extremely helpful as I work through the analysis. Thank you again!
 Tihomir Asparouhov posted on Thursday, February 07, 2019 - 8:48 am
I don't thinks so. If the factors are on the within level then you don't need to do that. If they are on the between level then you do (i.e. that kind of code would just go on the between level to approximate multiple-group modeling)

The value 0.01 is needed because Mplus will not accept 0 and it generally works best when the variables are close to being standardized meaning Var in the range near 1. This is also why the model is really approximation of the true model with 0.

Incidentally you don't need to fix it to 0 or 0.01. Fixing it to 0 essentially guarantees that the between level component is time invariant but that doesn't necessarily apply in practice. Average school scores may change across time in a non-linear fashion (some schools can go up others can go down) so you could potentially remove that @0.01 and see for yourself if this holds really or not. There is some discussion on that in
http://statmodel.com/examples/webnotes/webnote16.pdf
 Madison Aitken posted on Monday, February 11, 2019 - 7:11 am
Hello Dr. Asparouhov,

Thank you; that explanation helps a lot. The model runs but I get the following error in the Tech 8 output:

THE KOLMOGOROV-SMIRNOV DISTRIBUTION TEST FOR PARAMETER 67 HAS A P-VALUE 0.0000, INDICATING DISCREPANT POSTERIOR DISTRIBUTIONS IN THE DIFFERENT MCMC CHAINS. THIS MAY INDICATE NON-CONVERGENCE DUE TO AN INSUFFICIENT NUMBER OF MCMC ITERATIONS OR IT MAY INDICATE A NON-IDENTIFIED MODEL. SPECIFY A LARGER NUMBER OF MCMC ITERATIONS USING THE FBITER OPTION OF THE ANALYSIS COMMAND TO INVESTIGATE THE PROBLEM.

I am currently using
FBITER = 80000;
THIN = 2;

Given the current number of iterations, would it be reasonable to add more iterations and/or a different thinning rate to try to address this error? Alternatively, could it be a problem with the model set-up?

Thank you again for all your help!
 Tihomir Asparouhov posted on Monday, February 11, 2019 - 5:19 pm
We have discontinued this test - it is really difficult to satisfy.
 Madison Aitken posted on Friday, March 29, 2019 - 6:34 am
Hello Dr. Asparouhov,

I have a follow-up question about declaring variables as Within. I am running two analyses (both with Bayes estimator):

1. A multilevel CFA (within-level only, nothing on between) examining change in factors over time. All items are declared as Within variables.

2. A follow-up multilevel CFA using group-specific variables, based on your input above, also examining change over time. Items are not declared as Between or Within variables, and the Between parts of the group variables are constrained using Y1B by Y1@1 y6@1 y11@1; Y1@0.01 Y6@0.01 y11@0.01;

Declaring items as Within vs. not declaring them changes the results slightly in analysis 1. However, for analysis 2, I can’t declare at least some of the items as Within (y1, y6, y11) because they are used on the Between level. I am wondering: 1) How important it is that the variables are declared the same way in the two analyses; 2) Whether constraining the Between parts in analysis 2 is advisable in my case (the groups received different treatments).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
 Tihomir Asparouhov posted on Friday, March 29, 2019 - 4:31 pm
A multilevel CFA (within-level only, nothing on between) is not a multilevel model. There has to be something on the between level to make this a multilevel CFA. You might want to look into User's Guide example 9.16.
 Madison Aitken posted on Monday, April 01, 2019 - 12:07 pm
Hi Dr. Asparouhov,

Thank you for your reply and for pointing this out. I have reviewed example 9.16 as you suggested. I am wondering if the set-up below might address the Between part of the model sufficiently (i.e., allowing items to be modeled as random intercepts on the Between level)?

Analysis 1: Do not declare variables as Between or Within. Under the Model command, include the factor structure under %WITHIN% only.

Analysis 2 (group-specific variables): Do not declare variables as Between or Within. Under the Model command, include the factor structure under %WITHIN%, and under %BETWEEN%, constrain the between parts of the groups to be equal with Y1B by y1@1 y6@1 y11@1; y1@0.01 y6@0.01 y11@0.01;

If not, are there any other modifications you suggest? I have run into issues with computational demands and/or convergence when I tried the model in other ways, including linear growth model, which is why I have come to the current approach.

Thank you again for your help.
 Tihomir Asparouhov posted on Monday, April 01, 2019 - 1:44 pm
I would recommend you take a step back in model complexity and use the ML estimator first. The reason I pointed out example 9.16 is because it describes how two-level models are used to model repeated measurements. There is no clustering of subjects, rather observations are nested within subject. I am not sure if you are using MSEM because you have repeated measurements or because subjects are nested within some kind of clusters.

You might find this book helpful

https://play.google.com/store/books/details?id=flGKDwAAQBAJ&gl=us&source=productsearch&utm_source=HA_Desktop_US&utm_medium=SEM&utm_campaign=PLA&pcampaignid=MKTAD0930BO1&gclid=Cj0KCQjw7YblBRDFARIsAKkK-dJStriLU4f_YTpeMFiDXTB1QDG5LE252ev7w3fOZO8QlnGVcNZfhSMaAkzKEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
 Madison Aitken posted on Thursday, April 04, 2019 - 1:25 pm
Hi Dr. Asparouhov,

Thank you for your response and for recommending the book. I have downloaded it and have been finding it helpful. I have also reviewed Webnote 16 again, which you referenced earlier.

I previously tried the ML and WLSMV estimators but encountered convergence issues (I believe because items are categorical and some are endorsed at low frequencies). The model converges with the Bayes estimator, so I would like to proceed with this approach. However, I would like to correctly free or constrain the Between parts of the model.

Data are repeated measures, and each subject belongs to one of three conditions. I have created condition-specific variables, as you suggested above, to compare the conditions.

Based on Webnote 16, it seems that groups (conditions) should not have different between parts because the clusters (subjects) can only belong to one group. Therefore, I think I should constrain the Between parts of the model to be equal, as you described above. Is this the correct use of the Between constraint in my case?

I appreciate your guidance and am learning a lot!
 Tihomir Asparouhov posted on Thursday, April 04, 2019 - 5:06 pm
I still do not think this is a two-level model.

"Data are repeated measures, and each subject belongs to one of three conditions. I have created condition-specific variables, as you suggested above, to compare the conditions."

I would say that you have a 3 group single level model - not multilevel model. To have a multilevel model you must have subjects be nested within schools - where the second level model would be fitting school level averages essentially.

Take a look at User's guide example 6.1 and 6.18.

ML and WLSMV should be the easiest estimators to work with. If the ML estimator has convergence problems you might have to focus on that. Low frequencies are generally not a problem but very low frequencies are, such variables have no information and just make models unidentifiable.

Also the concept of multiple group is not necessarily the right one for you. The most basic approach is to create two dummy variables for the second and the third group and treat these as covariate.
 N_2018 posted on Friday, May 31, 2019 - 10:33 am
Hello,
I'm running a multilevel model that explores within-person change in behavior as a function of task feedback. Using Bayesian analysis, I would like to extract an individual difference estimate that essentially represents the change in each subject's behavior as a function of feedback. Diez Roux (2002) notes that "empirical bayes estimates of parameters for a given group can be derived from multilevel models using estimates of the group level errors" (pp.590). Is there any way to "extract" such an estimate for each subject in Mplus? I am interested in using the estimate as a predictor variable for follow-up analyses. I hope my question is clear. Many thanks for your time.
 Tihomir Asparouhov posted on Friday, May 31, 2019 - 3:00 pm
I would suggest that you look at User's guide example 9.2 but I would
recommend the syntax on page 278 (example 9.2c in the Mplus installation directory) . You would have to change the estimator to bayes
analysis: estimator=bayes;
and add
savedata: file is 1.dat; save=fs(50);
to get the individual level effects. See the savedata information section at the end of the output file which will help you locate the cluster specific regression parameters.

It should be noted that "the follow up analysis" can be done (best option) in the same analysis. You can specify the random slope as a predictir in the same model.
 Sheila Keener posted on Tuesday, July 30, 2019 - 5:30 pm
Hello,
I am attempting to run a model similar to example 9.32; however, I keep getting the following error:

THE ESTIMATED BETWEEN LEVEL POSTERIOR VARIANCE COVARIANCE MATRIX IS NOT POSITIVE DEFINITE AS IT SHOULD BE.
THE PROBLEM OCCURRED IN CHAIN 1.

Is there something I can do to resolve this?

ANALYSIS:

Type = twolevel;
Estimator = bayes;
Process = 2;
BITER = 2000

Model:

%WITHIN%

s1| ED on ED&1;
s2| EL on EL&1;
s3| TC on TC&1;
s12| ED on EL;
s21| EL on ED;
s13| ED on TC&2;
s31| TC on ED&1;
s23| EL on TC&2;
s32| TC on EL&1;

%BETWEEN%

EL TC ED s1-s32 WITH EL TC ED s1-s32;
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Wednesday, July 31, 2019 - 4:59 pm
We need to see your full output including TECH8 - send to Support along with your license number.
 Samuli Helle posted on Tuesday, December 10, 2019 - 8:46 am
Hi,

I am fitting a multilevel path analysis using Mplus's latent cluster-mean centering to separate within- and between-level effects. It is unclear to me why Mplus adds mean and variance parameters of the predictors into the model as this is not done by default in ML-estimation? I know that this can be done to handle missing data in X but I have no missing data in X. In reference of what’s said previously in this topic above, I do have high variance for one of my predictors (SSADE), which also skyrockets the variance of its interaction (INT) with XTEMP. So, could I just exclude the mean and variance parameters of the predictors from my model?

within-level

XTEMP 1.010
SSADE 165.841
INT 38159.840

between-level

XTEMP 3.347
SSADE 300.984
INT 73354.328

Thanks!
 Tihomir Asparouhov posted on Wednesday, December 11, 2019 - 12:09 pm
In two-level ML without numerical integration (all continuous) all covariates that are within-between do get mean and variance estimated (mean on the between level and variance covariance on the within and between). These are estimated behind the scenes and are not reported as model parameters but they are estimated as a part of the the EM algorithm, i.e., the covariates are latent mean centered.

The variances you are reporting look quite large and you might want to consider re-scaling the variables to be near standardized metric.

You don't have the entire model here so I am not 100% sure about this but I would not recommend this approach. Xtemp-between is the average of the product of the two variables, not the product of the averages. I would recommend Preacher's approach instead. See section 3.3 and 3.4
http://statmodel.com/download/LVinteractions.pdf
and the scripts are here
http://statmodel.com/download/WebNote23.zip
and are very specific and involve latent variable behind each of the observed variables on both levels and then using XWITH for the latent variables.
 Samuli Helle posted on Thursday, December 12, 2019 - 1:08 pm
Many thanks Tihomir! I think we are interested in Preacher's A1 hypothesis (1*(1-1)) here, i.e. the moderation is at the within-level. Would the code below do the job?

%WITHIN%
T BY XTEMP@1; XTEMP@0;
R BY SSADE@; SSADE@0;
INT | T XWITH R;
Y ON T R INT;

%BETWEEN%
Y ON XTEMP SSADE; XTEMP WITH SSADE;

Using the above formulation, the variances of predictors are greatly reduced. But why is that "near standardize metric" useful? Does it e.g. improve the mixing of chains?
 Tihomir Asparouhov posted on Thursday, December 12, 2019 - 3:23 pm
Yes that code looks about right.

About the standardized metric: when you fix the variance to 0, it is actually not fixed to 0, but to a small value. That small value is an Analysis option in Mplus called the variance= option. The default is 0.0001, so essentially this is what you are using. It is small enough that can be considered 0 and it allows the MCMC to "move". The value 0.0001 however is relative to the size of the variables. If the total variance of the variable is near 1 that value will be about 1/1000 of the variance of the observed variable so it will not impact the model. If however your variable has a variance of 100, to keep the same ratio you will need to set the variance to 0.01, i.e., you will need to change that option in Mplus (otherwise convegence will be very slow). We discuss this in Section 3.3.2 and on top of page 12
http://statmodel.com/download/LVinteractions.pdf

If the convergence in your model is slow you can change the model to
XTEMP@0.001; SSADE@0.001;
 Samuli Helle posted on Thursday, December 12, 2019 - 9:33 pm
Great, thanks!
 Samuli Helle posted on Monday, December 16, 2019 - 12:06 am
One more question: is it possible to combine Preacher's A1 and A3 hypotheses into the same model (could not find such an example from your LVinteraction document)? I mean looking at the interaction at both levels simultaneously. Or are there any reasons to "control" for between-level interaction if were're only interested in within-level interaction of the given variables.
 Tihomir Asparouhov posted on Monday, December 16, 2019 - 10:51 am
Yes it is possible. The model in section 3.4 includes such a situation but is a bit more complex.
 Roosevelt Vilar Lobo de Souza posted on Monday, December 16, 2019 - 8:31 pm
Dear Mplus team,

Is it possible to estimate approximate zero cross-loadings and residual correlations in a Multilevel CFA similarly to a CFA with Bayes estimator in Mplus?

Thanks, Roosevelt
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Wednesday, December 18, 2019 - 11:48 am
Yes.
 Samuli Helle posted on Wednesday, December 18, 2019 - 12:54 pm
Given e.g. a model below, why Mplus by default estimates a covariance between the predictors at both levels? Is the estimation of other parts of the model compromised if those covariances are fixed to zero in this particular interaction model?

%WITHIN%
T BY XTEMP@1; XTEMP@0;
R BY SSADE@; SSADE@0;
INT | T XWITH R;
Y ON T R INT;

%BETWEEN%
Y ON XTEMP SSADE; XTEMP WITH SSADE;
 Tihomir Asparouhov posted on Wednesday, December 18, 2019 - 1:53 pm
If you have large size clusters (>100) the correlations (included or not) wouldn't matter.

If the clusters are smaller though it would matter as the between level components would be estimated more accurately if say large correlations exist and are included in the model, i.e., including the correlations can indeed improve the remaining parts of the model for the case of smaller size clusters.
 Hailey Lee posted on Wednesday, February 26, 2020 - 3:39 pm
Hi,

I am fitting a 3-level multilevel model, with about 600 level 1 units, 170 level 2 units, and 24 level 3 units. The variability of my outcome at level 2 and 3 is pretty small, but I am testing the effects of a cluster randomized trial, and therefore, would like to retain all levels. I am fitting the 3-level model for about 25 outcomes (separate models for each outcome). For many of the outcomes, estimator = MLR works, but there are a few outcomes that do not converge with MLR. They do converge under type = BAYES. I do not have any prior information, and so I am not sure whether a Bayesian estimator is appropriate here. Would you recommend Bayes in this case, or is there another estimator that would work better for my small level 3 sample size and the small ICC’s?
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Wednesday, February 26, 2020 - 4:40 pm
Bayes does not need prior information - Mplus uses uninformative priors as the default. The only exception is that variances are held positive. It may be that MLR has convergence problems due to zero or negative variances.
 Hailey Lee posted on Wednesday, February 26, 2020 - 5:32 pm
Thank you! I have a follow-up question then. I'd like to fit a multi-group model with Bayes. I found that some of the earlier postings mentioned that the use of knownclass/mixture can be an option but also came across that knownclass isn’t available for multilevel Bayes. Which one is correct?
My goal is to fit a multigroup/multilevel model with Bayes.
 Miko&#322;aj Winiewski posted on Wednesday, June 03, 2020 - 4:06 am
Dear Mplus team,

I'm running cross-classified model,

When I run null and fixed model I have all model fit information DIC and PPP and their values are more than satisfying. However, when I add random part DIC improves substantially but there is no PPP but also I don't get any error message.

I'm about to submit the paper, and I was wondering what can I write about the fit of the final model. DIC suggest that it's the best and I should keep it, but there is no PPP. Can you help me with this?

Thank you in advance.
 Tihomir Asparouhov posted on Wednesday, June 03, 2020 - 5:01 pm
There is no PPP because the PPP is based on comparing the unrestricted variance covariance at each level to the model estimated variance covariance. If your model in unrestricted (like in User's Guide example 9.25) the PPP doesn't mean anything, as it is comparing the model to itself. So be careful with that.

The best way to justify the random slopes is to report the confidence interval for the variance of the random slope as well as the SE. The Z-score Estimate/SE > 3 is sufficient evidence that the model is improved.
 Youngshin Ju posted on Wednesday, October 14, 2020 - 7:33 am
Dear. Mplus team,

I read the paper: M&A (2018). Recent Method for the Study of Measurement Invariance With Many Groups: Alignment and Random Effects, and I ran Bayesian two-level analysis according to this paper(random intercept and random loading). However, my indicators are all categorical.

The analysis was conducted successfully, but I have a question about the results of between-level. My indicators have its thresholds because they are categorical variables. Following is residual variance on the between-level about the variables. REGIS-LAN are random intercepts (thresholds) and s1-s7 are random loadings.

Residual Variances
REGIS 0.015
RECAL 0.014
DRAW 0.013
TIME 0.012
PLACE 0.012
ATTEN 0.010
LAN 0.014
S1 0.031
S2 0.014
S3 0.031
S4 0.017
S5 0.018
S6 0.034
S7 0.023

My question is, why are the residual variances for REGIS-LAN not expressed in relation to thresholds? Does it mean the variance about random intercept? Is it impossible to implement about categorical variables in Bayesian two-level analysis?
 Youngshin Ju posted on Wednesday, October 14, 2020 - 7:44 am
Also, my input code is below:

VARIABLE:
NAMES = NO PID AGE SEX
TIME1 TIME2 TIME3 PLACE1 PLACE2 REGIS
ATTEN1 ATTEN2 ATTEN3 ATTEN4 ATTEN5 RECAL
NAME1 NAME2 REPEAT COMMAND READ WRITE DRAW
TIME PLACE ATTEN LAN NAME group;
USEVARIABLE= REGIS RECAL DRAW TIME PLACE ATTEN LAN group;
CLUSTER = group;
CATEGORICAL= REGIS RECAL DRAW TIME PLACE ATTEN LAN;

ANALYSIS:
TYPE = TWOLEVEL RANDOM;
PROCESSORS = 2;
ESTIMATOR = BAYES;
THIN = 10;
BITERATIONS = 500000(20000);

MODEL:
%within%
s1-s7 | Fw by REGIS RECAL DRAW TIME PLACE ATTEN LAN; Fw@1;

%between%
REGIS RECAL DRAW TIME PLACE ATTEN LAN s1-s7 (a1-a14);
[s1-s7*1] (p1-p7);
Fb by REGIS RECAL DRAW TIME PLACE ATTEN LAN*1 (p1-p7);
cog by s1-s7*1 (p1-p7);
Fb cog;

Thank you in advance!
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Wednesday, October 14, 2020 - 4:19 pm
With ordinal categorical outcomes, there is one slope per predictor and also one intercept. So you get one random intercept. To get random effects for each category (minus 1), you would treat the variable as nominal instead.

We ask that postings be limited to one window. Longer questions should be sent to Support.
 Youngshin Ju posted on Wednesday, October 14, 2020 - 5:15 pm
Thank you for your reply! But, I can't understand well setting the variables nominal instead of ordered.

Could I declare nominal variables in input code? If not, should I use such as dummy code on each response category?
Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: