Level 1 independent on Level 2 depend... PreviousNext
Mplus Discussion > Multilevel Data/Complex Sample >
Message/Author
 Orhan Agirdag posted on Thursday, February 24, 2011 - 5:04 am
Does it make any sense and is it even possible to examine the impact of a level-1 independent variable (e.g. student gender) on a level-2 dependent variable (e.g. mean performance), which is an aggregated variable.

When I try this with Analysis: type = TWOLEVEL, the output state:

THE VARIANCE OF 'mean perfomance' APPROACHES 0. FIX THIS VARIANCE AND THE CORRESPONDING COVARIANCES TO 0, DECREASE THE MINIMUM VARIANCE, OR SPECIFY THE VARIABLE AS A BETWEEN VARIABLE

What should I do?
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Thursday, February 24, 2011 - 7:21 am
Any variable that does not vary within clusters must be put on the BETWEEN list. These variables can be used only in the between part of the model. A variable measured on the individual level can be used in both parts of the model if it is not placed on the WITHIN list. In this way you could regress a between variable on the between part of a within variable. See Examples 9.1 and 9.2 for further information.
 Jana Nie posted on Wednesday, June 08, 2011 - 3:47 am
Dear Ms Muthen,

is it possible to use a level 2 dependent variable if I first aggregate (mean) the data on that level two variable?
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Wednesday, June 08, 2011 - 8:22 am
Yes. But also try to use the latent variable (random intercept) version of this Level 2 DV.
 Andre Plamondon posted on Thursday, June 09, 2011 - 7:34 am
On the other hand, is it possible to let the amount of variance at the level-1 vary as a function of a level-2 variable?
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Thursday, June 09, 2011 - 2:02 pm
If the level 2 variable is categorical, you could use it as a grouping variable in a multiple group analysis.
Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: