Bootstrap mediation test with complex... PreviousNext
Mplus Discussion > Multilevel Data/Complex Sample >
Message/Author
 Randall MacIntosh posted on Tuesday, September 06, 2011 - 9:56 pm
I would like to test for mediation using the INDIRECT, CINTERVAL and BOOTSTRAP commands. But I have a complex sample. Will the Bootstrap function properly with weighted clustered data?

Am I correct in assuming that I don't have to use the TYPE=COMPLEX specification because the bootstrap will provide the appropriate variance estimates?

Thanks.
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Wednesday, September 07, 2011 - 9:44 am
BOOTSTRAP cannot be used with COMPLEX. BOOTSTRAP does not take into account lack of independence of observations. You need COMPLEX for that.
 Sarah Ryan posted on Thursday, September 15, 2011 - 11:01 am
I am using data from the ELS:2002 data set (an NCES data set). Is it possible to use "Resampling Methods in Mplus for Complex
Survey Data" (Tihomir Asparouhov and Bengt Muthen, May 4, 2010) as a guide in obtaining bootstrap standard errors? If so, would bootstrap SE's also then be provided for the MODEL INDIRECT output?

Like the example given with ECLS data in this paper, the sampling structure is available in the ELS:2002 data, i.e., the strata and PSU (cluster) variable are available in the sample.
 Tihomir Asparouhov posted on Thursday, September 15, 2011 - 11:33 pm
Yes on both questions. You can obtain the bootstrap SE using
REPSE=BOOTSTRAP;
BOOTSTRAP=500;
and "model indirect:" is available as well.
 Sarah Ryan posted on Friday, September 16, 2011 - 9:10 am
Excellent. Thank you.
SR
Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: