LCA 2+ outcomes in categorical variab... PreviousNext
Mplus Discussion > Latent Variable Mixture Modeling >
Message/Author
 Lian Beijers posted on Monday, October 24, 2016 - 2:24 am
Dear readers,

Unfortunately I have not been able to find the answer to my question elsewhere, so here goes:

I have recoded my data into categorical variables which (-1 for low scores, 0 for average, 1 for high). I can't for the life of me figure out how Mplus decides which category is which; I get .gph output for only 2 and 3, but whether those are 0/1 or another combo I can't tell for sure. I would assume it starts with the lowest value (in this case -1) but I can't confirm this myself.

Also, when I (assuming 2=0 and 3=1) try to calculate probabilities for -1 by doing 1-prob2-prob3, I sometimes get negative values, meaning that (prob2+prob3)>1, which should be impossible.

I would very much appreciate any help pointing out what mistakes/wrong assumptions I'm making.

Yours,
Lian
 Lian Beijers posted on Monday, October 24, 2016 - 2:34 am
Or any indication of where to look/what to read. I've been looking at the manual and the webnotes, but it's hard to find the information I need in all that data.
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Monday, October 24, 2016 - 6:37 am
See the CATEGORICAL option in the user's guide. It describes for categorical variables are recoded for analysis in Mplus.
 Lian Beijers posted on Monday, October 24, 2016 - 7:06 am
Dear dr. Luthen,

I'm unable to find the section you are referring to. Is it a subsection of the chapter on LCA?

I found this in example 7.3

"The CATEGORICAL option is used to specify which dependent
variables are treated as binary or ordered categorical (ordinal) variables
in the model and its estimation. In the example above, the latent class
indicators u1, u2, u3, and u4, are binary or ordered categorical variables.
The program determines the number of categories for each indicator."

But that doesn't tell me much.

Could you please help me out by referring me to a chapter or page?

Yours,
Lian
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Monday, October 24, 2016 - 7:21 am
If you keep reading, you will see how the variables are recoded. They are not analyzed as -1, 0, 1. If there is something in an output you don't understand, send the output and your license number to support@statmodel.com.
 Lian Beijers posted on Monday, October 31, 2016 - 9:29 am
For future reference:

It is in chapter 15, page 546 (7th edition)
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2016 - 5:38 pm
Ok.
Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: