Auxiliary models with BCH weights PreviousNext
Mplus Discussion > Latent Variable Mixture Modeling >
Message/Author
 Madelyn Labella posted on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 1:27 pm
Hello,

I used Mplus to conduct a latent profile analysis and am now using BCH weights to test a regression auxiliary model combined with latent class regression. I have two questions.

1. Is it possible to do this type of analysis without using listwise deletion? I am losing a large number of observations.

2. I used model constraint and model test to evaluate whether profile means are significantly different from each other. I got the following error:

WALD'S TEST COULD NOT BE COMPUTED BECAUSE OF A SINGULAR COVARIANCE MATRIX.

However, I still got p-values for the new/additional parameters, indicating that some mean differences were significantly different from 0. Can you explain what that error message means and whether I can still trust the pairwise p-values?

Thanks so much!
 Tihomir Asparouhov posted on Friday, October 20, 2017 - 9:27 am
1. We do not use listwise deletion. There is a listwise command in Mplus but it is never the default. If you have a single dependent variable Y and some covariates X, the model for [Y|X] simply has an empty likelihood when Y is missing. Data containing information regarding [Y|X] is not removed.

2. Yes you can use the pairwise p-values.
For the Wald test the issue is the following. If you have 3 classes do not use
model tests:
0=m1-m2;
0=m1-m3;
0=m2-m3;

Instead use
model tests:
0=m1-m2;
0=m1-m3;

The third equation is redundant and causes singularity.
 Madelyn Labella posted on Sunday, October 29, 2017 - 11:14 am
Thank you so much, this is really helpful! (And I apologize for my delay in getting back to you).

I do have missing Y variables. Are there any other options for handling missing data? For example, is this compatible with multiple imputation?

Thank you again!
 Tihomir Asparouhov posted on Monday, October 30, 2017 - 12:18 pm
You can use multiple imputations (manually where each imputed data set is analyzed separately and then manually combine the results) however I would not recommend it unless you have some kind of a set of background variables that you can use for the imputation but you are not using in the model. If you don't have such a set of variables I would not recommend multiple imputation and our default method is the better option, which already uses all the information in the data, i.e., it is full-information FIML.
Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: