How many indicators in LCA/LPA are to... PreviousNext
Mplus Discussion > Latent Variable Mixture Modeling >
Message/Author
 Anna V posted on Saturday, September 15, 2018 - 5:55 pm
Hi all,

I will be conducting an LPA for someone, but their intended model has 50 continuous indicators, which seems like too many to me. Unfortunately, I can’t find any sources discussing such a large number of indicators. Would this be appropriate to do? Also, what would you consider an appropriate sample size for this?

Thank you!
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Sunday, September 16, 2018 - 11:52 am
50 is ok if N is large enough. The required N depends on how many classes you expect because this influences how many parameters you need to estimate. With k classes, you have 50 variances, k*50 means, and k-1 class probabilities. You might want at least 5 observations per parameter.
 Anna V posted on Monday, September 17, 2018 - 7:41 am
Thank you, this is very helpful!
 Ads posted on Wednesday, September 09, 2020 - 9:10 am
Is there a specific motivation for 5 observations per parameter?

Also, is there an equation that shows the sample size requirement to literally identify an LPA model, given a specific number of indicators and classes?

Why I ask: a colleague in neuroscience wants to estimate up to 4 classes with 75 indicators and N=150 via LPA. While that sounds like it is pushing the limits to me, I am literally able to simulate the model (and even able to simulate a model with 200 indicators and N=150, which would have many more parameters than participants).

Clearly you could not have C>N, but I'm not sure how sample size would limit number of indicators used.

In one Mplus forum post it's mentioned that there needs to be more subjects than parameters (http://www.statmodel.com/discussion/messages/13/489.html?1424463211), but my simulations seem to permit more parameters than subjects. Many thanks for your help.
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Wednesday, September 09, 2020 - 3:32 pm
No, there is no such formula with continuous outcomes. It all depends on the distribution of the outcomes. If you have clear class separation in the outcome means, I can imagine that your case can work.
 Ads posted on Wednesday, September 09, 2020 - 5:24 pm
Sounds good - thanks again for your feedback.
Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: