When entropy is low in LPA PreviousNext
Mplus Discussion > Latent Variable Mixture Modeling >
Message/Author
 Ppudah Ki posted on Wednesday, October 21, 2020 - 2:15 am
Hello,

I am just wondering whether it is okay to keep the LPA model with .616 entropy (or what to do when the entropy is low).

I have analyzed an LPA model, and the 3-profile solution was the most desirable model, considering BIC, LRT, BLRT, class proportions, and theoretical background. 3-profile model was the best model to conclude, except that it has low entropy, which is .616.

(Actually, the entropy scores of all the models (2-profile model, 3-profile model, 4-profile model) were quite low (.641, .616, .626 respectively).)

1) Thus I am just wondering if I can choose the 3-profile model with .616 entropy and use it in my paper.
2) If so, could you recommend any reference to back up the usage of low entropy?

Thank you!
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Wednesday, October 21, 2020 - 4:40 pm
I think using a model with that entropy is fine. It just says that the classes are not as well separated as with say entropy = 0.8. An analogy is SEM with an R-square that isn't very high but the model fits well - this is the truth that we have to accept; this is how good the model can be given the data/the variables.

I know of no reference for this.
 Jon Heron posted on Thursday, October 22, 2020 - 9:59 am
It's dead easy to demonstrate with simulation that an LPA with awful entropy can give you an unbiased estimate of a covariate effect.

I've shown in a lecture that with two classes underlying a single variate Y you can get entropy below 0.2 if the mean difference in Y between classes is comparable to the within class variance of Y.

No bias, just lots of uncertainty. Just don't go using modal class assignment
Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: