Cfa and lpa PreviousNext
Mplus Discussion > Latent Variable Mixture Modeling >
Message/Author
 Matt Thullen posted on Tuesday, June 23, 2009 - 11:22 am
Hello-
Ive been looking for a way to integrate CFA with LPA. I think Ive figured out how I can use factor scores derived from the CFA in an LPA.
1)Ill need to iron out the details, but in general is this an acceptable way to integrate these two analyses? Any potential major problems that may make this strategy untenable?
2)Is there a way to do this all in one model rather than two separate analyses?

Thank you
mjt
 Matt Thullen posted on Tuesday, June 23, 2009 - 11:54 am
I meant to ask if factor mixture modeling was the way to integrate the two. I am currently trying to make sense of Lubke & Muthen (2005).

mjt
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Tuesday, June 23, 2009 - 12:27 pm
Yes, I would use factor mixture modeling instead of first estimating factor scores. Regarding FMM, you may want to study

Muthén, B. (2008). Latent variable hybrids: Overview of old and new models. In Hancock, G. R., & Samuelsen, K. M. (Eds.), Advances in latent variable mixture models, pp. 1-24. Charlotte, NC: Information Age Publishing, Inc.

which you find under Papers, General Mixture Modeling on our web site.
 Rose Stafford posted on Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 11:41 am
Hi,

I am researching LPA (or LCA, as in Example 7.9) and mixture CFA modeling (e.g., Example 7.17) and have not been able to find information on the advantages/disadvantages of using each approach. It seems that either approach would be theoretically plausible and appropriate (assuming that a mixture CFA model has only one factor). Are the benefits to using one approach over?

Thank You
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 1:13 pm
One model fits the data better than the other. Decide by BIC.

Also see all our mixture papers on our website.
Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: