Multivariate Growth Mixture Modeling,... PreviousNext
Mplus Discussion > Latent Variable Mixture Modeling >
Message/Author
 Wim Beyers posted on Tuesday, February 01, 2005 - 12:43 am
Is it possible to estimate a Growth Mixture Model based on multivariate data? I mean, a classical cluster analysis often is based on multiple (relatively) independent variables (e.g., in parenting research: warmth and control). So, is this also possible in a LGMM (e.g., finding latent classes of trajectories in warmth ànd control)? I do not mean parallel LGMM, but rather 'combined' LGMM.
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Tuesday, February 01, 2005 - 6:57 pm
Yes.
 Wim Beyers posted on Thursday, February 03, 2005 - 2:55 am
OK, but do examples exist of such an analysis? To make myself more clear: I want to estimate latent classes that combine measures of at least two relatively independent variables (X1 and X2), measured repeatedly. So that, for instance, Class 1 consists of persons with 'stable high levels of X1' (high intercepts and low slopes) COMBINED with 'increasing X2 (low intercepts and high slopes).
 bmuthen posted on Thursday, February 03, 2005 - 10:15 am
I don't know that we have exactly such examples, but the idea and the modeling is clear. You would use 2 sets of growth factors (I assume you don't think they are the same for the 2 outcomes) but one latent class variable, where the latent classes are determined by the joint growth trajectories. You can use ex 6.13, deleting the last 2 lines of the model input, adding type = mixture and letting the defaults give you different growth factor means.
 KL posted on Monday, February 25, 2019 - 5:07 pm
As a follow up to this original post, I was wondering if it is possible to conduct an LGMM analysis with multiple outcomes (anxiety, depression, self-esteem). In other words, is there a way to model three outcomes at the same time to test whether there are different classes of individuals who might show differing patterns across these variables?
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2019 - 3:25 pm
Yes, this is possible. Just specify multiple growth models. They can either have their own latent class variable or share on in common.
 KL posted on Saturday, June 22, 2019 - 1:44 pm
Thank you for your reply Dr. Muthen! I was wondering if there are any resources or examples available for how to specify the multiple growth models?
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Saturday, June 22, 2019 - 3:11 pm
You can start from UG ex 7.14 which shows 2 sets of outcomes, each with its own latent class variable. Just turn that into a growth situation. Then generalize to 3 sets. I can't think of a paper that describes this in detail but there is nothing difficult about it.
Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: