Scales for latent variable PreviousNext
Mplus Discussion > Latent Variable Mixture Modeling >
Message/Author
 Shawn A. Lampkins posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 - 4:33 pm
Good evening, I am considering running a LPA using 7 scales (each with apprx. 5 items). In the literature I've reviewed I've seen examples where others have used the scale scores, rather than the individual items as class indicators, but none have provided the rationale for doing so. I am hoping someone here might be willing and able to help.

Thanks in advance.
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Friday, November 15, 2013 - 11:48 am
I suggest posting this on SEMNET where I believe they have been discussing this recently.
 Thomas Kirsh posted on Tuesday, June 23, 2020 - 9:27 am
Dear Drs. Muthen,

I ran a latent class growth mixture model on certain outcome variables over time before realizing that these variables needed to be scaled to match a comparative outcome variable. To scale the variables, I divided by the range of the measure. When I reran the model, the number of classes found to be significant changed (6 instead of 3). Why would scaling the outcome variable affect the number of classes? Why wouldn't the slopes for the original classes be the only thing affected?
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Tuesday, June 23, 2020 - 5:11 pm
If you divided all variables by the same constant, I don't see why that would happen.
Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: