Meaning of WITH on %BETWEEN% level? PreviousNext
Mplus Discussion > Growth Modeling of Longitudinal Data >
Message/Author
 Bertolt Meyer posted on Monday, February 11, 2013 - 4:36 am
Dear all,

I have a two-level growth model for a continuous outcome (three level-analysis), similar to the one in example 9.12. I want to explain between-cluster variance in the time slope with two cluster-level covariates w1 and w2 that are correlated. I tried to model this correlation by specifying w1 WITH w2 in the %BETWEEN% section of the model. However, the corresponding path is negative and significant, whereas a separate simple bivariate correlation between w1 and w2 (with one measure per cluster) is strongly positive and highly significant. Is it possible that using WITH In the %BETWEEN% part of the model produces not a regular bivariate correlation between w1 and w2 but something else? This is the model:

MODEL:
%WITHIN%
iw sw | y1@0 y2@1 y3@2 y4@3;
y1-y4 (1);
iw sw ON x;
%BETWEEN%
ib sb | y1@0 y2@1 y3@2 y4@3;
y1-y4@0;
sb ON w1 w2;
w1 WITH w2;

Thank you for your help,
Bertolt
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Monday, February 11, 2013 - 10:02 am
Please send an output that includes the SAMPSTAT option along with your license number to support@statmodel.com.
 Bertolt Meyer posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2013 - 12:01 am
Linda, thanks for your quick reply. Using the SAMPSTAT option showed me that apparently, something had gone wrong when I exported the data set from R to Mplus, because in the sample statistics output the two variables also had a negative bivariate correlation on the between level. I fixed the error in R and now everything works as expected. Apologies for the mistake on my side.

Regards, Bertolt
Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: