Relating three sets of classes in Mplus PreviousNext
Mplus Discussion > Growth Modeling of Longitudinal Data >
Message/Author
 Seth J. Schwartz posted on Tuesday, April 02, 2013 - 8:57 am
Dear Linda and Bengt:

My colleagues and I are testing a multidimensional model of acculturation using a sample of recent immigrant Hispanic adolescents. We have proposed three domains of acculturation - behaviors, values, and identifications. Within each domain, US and heritage cultural streams are operating.

We have estimated three growth mixture models - one for Hispanic and US behaviors, one for Hispanic and US values, and one for Hispanic and US identifications. Each solution produced 2 classes. We now want to do two things: (1) cross-tabulate these three sets of classes against one another using log-linear modeling; and (2) examine the effects of these three sets of classes on outcome variables (self-esteem, perceived competence, depressive symptoms, and grade point average).

I've read your article with Shaunna Clark indicating that classifying people into their most likely classes is a bad idea. However, how else would we do what we're looking to do? The classes are formed using three separate models, and we do not want the formation of the classes to be affected by the outcome variables.

Thanks in advance for any insights you can provide for us!

Seth Schwartz
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Tuesday, April 02, 2013 - 9:42 am
What is your entropy in the three analyses?
 Seth J. Schwartz posted on Tuesday, April 02, 2013 - 12:31 pm
Entropy values are .80, .70, and .83.
 Seth J. Schwartz posted on Wednesday, April 03, 2013 - 4:07 pm
Not sure whether you saw this - entropy values are .80, .70, and .83.
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Wednesday, April 03, 2013 - 4:43 pm
With entropy .8 or higher, you could use most likely class membership and do a multiple group analysis using the KNOWNCLASS option. You can still do this but for the group with .7 entropy, it won't be as good.
Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: