Random effects Poisson model PreviousNext
Mplus Discussion > Growth Modeling of Longitudinal Data >
Message/Author
 Marion Sheenan posted on Saturday, November 25, 2006 - 4:25 pm
Hello,

Is a random effects Poisson model the same thing as a growth model/heirarchical linear model?

Can you recommend easy-to-understand books on random effects Poisson models?

thank you,
marion
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Sunday, November 26, 2006 - 9:26 am
Yes, if both are growth models. I don't believe an easy-to-understand book on random effect Poisson models exists. You can take a look at the paper by Kreuter and Muthen (2006) on the website.
 Marion Sheenan posted on Monday, November 27, 2006 - 12:45 pm
Thank you. Can these models be accomplished with just two waves/panels of data? It seems like most examples involve at least 3 waves.
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Monday, November 27, 2006 - 3:18 pm
You cannot identify a growth model with both intercept and slope growth factors with two repeated measures. You would need at least three and we recommend at least four for modeling flexibility, that is, being able to free time scores and add residual covariances if needed.
 Marion Sheenan posted on Tuesday, November 28, 2006 - 7:05 am
Thank you. That makes sense to me now.

Is there another way for mplus to help analyze a model with only two time periods?

I study whether dropping out of high school leads to increased alcohol use. I have variables for (1) drinking before drop out (2) drinking after drop out and (3) age at left school. I must control for unobserved heterogeneity (selection effects) as well as observed covariates.
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Tuesday, November 28, 2006 - 1:31 pm
What age range do you have in your data? If a student does not drop out, when do you measure the second alcohol use? Or do you do it at the same time for everyone? Are students all the same age at the first alcohol measure?
Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: