Growth modeling with factor scores? PreviousNext
Mplus Discussion > Growth Modeling of Longitudinal Data >
Message/Author
 Jungmeen Kim posted on Monday, December 19, 2005 - 12:09 pm
I have used growth curve modeling based on raw scores. I wonder if I can somehow incorporate multiple scores by multiple reporters on the same construct. Using standardized scores at each measurement wouldn't make sense. What would be the best way, if any, that I can look at the growth curves of the scores that "combine" multiple reporters? May I use factor scores based on confirmatory factor analyses at each occasion? Thanks very much!

Jungmeen at Virginia Tech
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Monday, December 19, 2005 - 1:17 pm
See if Example 6.14 helps you.
 Researcher posted on Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 7:32 am
Hi,

My model is like the one in Example 6.14. Is it okay to let the residuals of the factor indicators to correlate (=three factor indicators, two indicators/
factor)? Otherwise the RMSEA estimate is too large.

Also, why the growth curve examples in the manual are described in terms of random effects of the factor indicators? I see many researchers using the program by defining intercept and trend factors with the usual "BY" command.

Thank you!
 bmuthen posted on Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 8:18 am
Yes, if the residual correlations for the factor indicators make substantive sense.

The term random effects is used by statisticians for what behavioral scientists now tend to call growth factors - same thing. You can use the BY statement or the newer growth language using the bar ( | ) statement.
 Jungmeen Kim posted on Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 3:38 pm
Dear Linda and Bengt,

It's awesome to know that I can use Mplus to test a "multiple indicator growth model" that looks like a second order factor analysis model. Thanks for your helpful answers and guidance. Merry Christmas!!
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 5:04 pm
I'm glad you think it is awesome but it has been available since 1998 when Mplus first came out.

Merry Christmas to you too.
Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: