EFA/CFA with mixed nominal and ordin... PreviousNext
Mplus Discussion > Categorical Data Modeling >
Message/Author
 Jong Min posted on Friday, April 14, 2006 - 1:43 pm
Hi!

Can I get some help with the following data analysis question?

I have 8 indicators that are measured in a mixture of nominal and ordinal levels. Those questions are all related to assessing subjective "health status."

Q1. with 5 ordinal categories
Q2-Q3. with 3 ordinal categories
Q4-Q5: yes/no
Q6: with 5 ordinal categories
Q7-Q8: yes/no

What is the best way of reducing these different mixed type of indicators? Traditional EFA would not work in principle due to their levels of measurement. I wonder if using EFA/CFA with categorial variables in Mplus would be appropriate. Can I calculate Factor Scores in Mplus?

Eventually, the reduced variable will be used in the context of regression, with replicative weights applied in Stata program.

Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Jong
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Friday, April 14, 2006 - 1:58 pm
Binary and ordered categorical variables can be considered in EFA. I'm unclear about what you mean by "levels of measurement".
 Jong Min posted on Friday, April 14, 2006 - 2:11 pm
Dear Linda,

Thanks for your quick reply. Sorry for confusion. By "level of measurement," I meant that traditional EFA is for either interval or ratio levels of measurement, but variables that I have were measured as nominal or ordinal level of measurements. I was hoping to get some suggestions on how to best reduce a mixed group of nominal and ordinal variables into one variable...

I hope this clarifies your confusion.

Thanks!
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Friday, April 14, 2006 - 2:20 pm
In Mplus, factor indicators in EFA can be continuous, binary, ordered categorical, or combinations of these variable types.
 Jong Min posted on Monday, April 17, 2006 - 4:26 pm
Dear Linda,

Thank you for your reply!
 nina yamanis posted on Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 12:00 pm
Dear Drs. Muthen,

I am doing a CFA with both binary and ordered categorical variables using Mplus 2.13. In the output, I did not see the threshold information for the categorical variables. Was this information available in this version of Mplus?

Below are the barebones of my syntax for reference.

Thanks!

variable: ;
usevar are ;
categorical are ;
analysis: type = general;
MODEL:
factor1 BY ;
factor2 BY ;
factor1 WITH factor2;
OUTPUT: sampstat standardized ;
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 12:13 pm
You need to add MEANSTRUCTURE to the TYPE option of the ANALYSIS command to obtain thresholds.
 nina yamanis posted on Friday, July 21, 2006 - 5:27 am
Thank you!
 Gaye Ildeniz posted on Sunday, March 03, 2019 - 5:08 am
Hi,

I know that these posts are a little outdated but can you please confirm that it is possible to have both ordinal and binary items simultaneously, in EFA and CFA?

Thank you.
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Sunday, March 03, 2019 - 11:40 am
Yes this is possible.
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Monday, March 04, 2019 - 1:31 pm
Yes this is possible.
Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: