Interpreting odds ratio with continuo... PreviousNext
Mplus Discussion > Categorical Data Modeling >
Message/Author
 Jim Prisciandaro posted on Friday, November 10, 2006 - 9:37 am
Hello Dr.s Muthen,

I have a question regarding the interpretation of odds ratios. Take a case where I have a logistic regression model with a continuous IV and a binary DV. My understanding is that the odds ratio I receive in Mplus reflects the average change in the DV for a unit change in the IV.

Is there anyway to obtain an odds ratio that reflects the average change in the DV for a standard deviation change in the IV? My independent variable is individuals’ total score on a scale that measures a theoretical construct. Therefore a unit change in my IV is not intrinsically meaningful as it would be with other continuous IVs (e.g., age). If I can not obtain or calculate an odds ratio to serve this purpose, how would you recommend presenting the results from my model?

Thanks,
Jim
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Saturday, November 11, 2006 - 11:48 am
The log odds (logistic regression coefficient) reflects the average change in the DV for a unit change in the IV. You can multiply the logs odds by the standard deviation of x and then exponentiate it. I think that will give you what you want.
 Yusef K posted on Saturday, October 10, 2009 - 1:06 am
Jim:
You're absolutely correct when you say that the odds ration in Mplus will reflect the average amount of change in the DV of 1 unit of change in IV.

As you had pointed out, however, it is not entirely clear as to whether or not the odds ration reflects the average change in DV.

Dr. Muthen...could you please elaborate on the answer you had listed above? It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Yusef

Web Design | Eau Claire, WI
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Sunday, October 11, 2009 - 12:12 pm
I would say that it reflects the expected change in the logit DV.
Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: