Save covariance matrix for categorica... PreviousNext
Mplus Discussion > Categorical Data Modeling >
Message/Author
 Erin P posted on Monday, April 10, 2017 - 3:30 pm
Is there any way to save the covariance matrix when using categorical data?

I am trying to get standard deviations for my variables, and I understand that the only way to do this is to take the square root of the variances (diagonal values on covariance matrix).

But I have not been able to figure out a way to export this data using SAVEDATA.

Thank you in advance for any direction!
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Monday, April 10, 2017 - 6:13 pm
A covariance matrix is not used for categorical variables. A tetrachoric or polychoric matrix is used. These can be saved. See the SAMPLE option of the SAVEDATA command.
 Erin P posted on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 1:39 pm
Thanks for the quick reply.

The reason I am looking for a value for the SD is that in order to an analysis (a version of a simplex model, using categorical data), I need to enter a correlation matrix into Mplus.

From what I understand, to do this, the first row of my data should display means, and the second row SDs, and then the subsequent rows can be my correlation matrix.

I understand that the means and SDs have no real meaning here, but I do not know another way to ask Mplus to analyze my correlation matrices.
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 3:07 pm
You can simply enter the correlation matrix and say TYPE=CORRELATION;
Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: