Correlation matrix in SAMPSTAT output PreviousNext
Mplus Discussion > Categorical Data Modeling >
Message/Author
 Carolina Schwedhelm posted on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 9:42 am
I am running a two-level model with one latent variable both with effects within and between (outcome variable is continuous). This variable is a dummy variable (4 categories, so I have 3 dummies).

As my latent variable is 0/1, a pearson correlation with the dependent variable would not be possible. So, where does the output of the correlations come from? I cannot reproduce these correlations in SAS or R (neither from the original variables nor from my proc mixed/lmer/stan_glmer multilevel regression outputs) but need to understand where they come from and why they are so different from the other regression outputs.

Thanks a lot for your help!
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 10:35 am
Sampstat gives correlations among observed variables (no latents included). It's unclear what your model is. You say
"this variable is a dummy variable" - it sounds like "this" refers to your latent variable, that is, you have a mixture model.
 Carolina Schwedhelm posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2018 - 5:26 am
Hi,

That's right, my dummy variable is my latent variable. This variable actually causes some convergence problems (I'll have to take a look at that too).

My question is, why if it's the same dataset, do I see such different correlations between the observed variables than in SAS and R? I'm having a hard time understanding the calculations behind this output.

Thanks!
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2018 - 3:50 pm
Please send your Mplus output and that of SAS/R (using a pdf) to Support along with your license number.
 Carolina Schwedhelm posted on Friday, April 27, 2018 - 6:38 am
Hi Linda and Bengt,

I have another question regarding the type of correlations in my output. I am using model estimator MLR in a model with covariates. Does this mean the correlations from the SAMPSTAT are probit residual correlations? (as suggested in the user's manual Ch.18?)

Thank you,
Carolina
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Friday, April 27, 2018 - 9:06 am
That depends on whether you specify some variables as Categorical. If you do, and you use WLSMV, then yes they are probit residual correlations.
Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: