Specifying threshold values PreviousNext
Mplus Discussion > Categorical Data Modeling >
Message/Author
 Mike C Parent posted on Thursday, February 03, 2011 - 4:11 pm
Hi,
I'm having some trouble grasping the use of threshold values when doing a monte carlo using ordinal variables. I'd like to generate data on a 7-point scale for a CFA of two factors with 5 items each, but every time I run the monte carlo simulation I get a data set that has only 0s and 6s. I've tried working from scratch as well as starting with the 5.10 mc example to no avail. I think I may be confused moving away from the binary example to my ordinal attempt; is there an example in the user guide that uses multi-point ordinal data rather than binary? Or, could you give me an example of what a line of thresholds might look like? Right now this is what I'm trying under model population:

[u1a$1*.1 u1b$1*.1 u1c$1*.1 u1d$1*.1 u1e$1*.1 u2a$1*.1 u2b$1*.1 u2c$1*.1 u2d$1*.1 u2e$1*.1] (1);
[u1a$2*.1 u1b$2*.1 u1c$2*.1 u1d$2*.1 u1e$2*.1 u2a$2*.1 u2b$2*.1 u2c$2*.1 u2d$2*.1 u2e$2*.1] (2);

etc., through to ...u2e$6*1] (6);

Thank you!
Mike
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Thursday, February 03, 2011 - 5:28 pm
Please send the full output and your license number to support@statmodel.com.
 Melissa Gordon posted on Friday, July 13, 2018 - 12:05 am
Hi,

What was the resolution to this? I want to generate ordinal data for a CFA on a 5-point scale for one factor.

Thank you!

Melissa
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Friday, July 13, 2018 - 2:15 pm
The user probably made an mistake that is not of general interest; we don't keep records of this from 7 years ago. You can check the examples in the UG on our website - for each example there is a corresponding Monte Carlo script posted. See, e.g., UG ex7.6.
Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: