Less than 2 categories? PreviousNext
Mplus Discussion > Exploratory Factor Analysis >
Message/Author
 Rules Comm posted on Monday, April 19, 2010 - 8:09 pm
I am running a CFA model dealing with categorical variables in MPLUS. In the output, the message says "Categorical variable XX contains less than 2 categories."

I check into the data. I found in this categorical variable: there ARE exactly 2 categories (0/1), but just 2 observations among all have the value 1. Is the error in the output because of this reason?

Thanks.

John
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Tuesday, April 20, 2010 - 6:54 am
Please send the input, data, and output to support@statmodel.com. This would not be the problem. You most likely have blanks in the data set which are not allowed with free format.
 Rules Comm posted on Tuesday, April 20, 2010 - 7:31 am
Thank you, professor Muthen. Yes, this is not a problem.
I just found the true problem: I did not type the variable names handily; I just pasted the variables names from wordpad (because there are a lot of them); it seems that the spaces between variable names in wordpad are different from that in Mplus; Unless you redo the spaces between names in Mplus, you may get this or that problem in the running process, which may prove not to be the true problem of the modeling.
 Denise Aske posted on Tuesday, December 08, 2015 - 8:32 am
Hi,

I am having this problem, too. Funny thing is, I copied and pasted the variable names from word and the spacing was off. However, I went back and wrote the variable names again, but I am still receiving this error message.

Any thoughts about how to correct this situation?

Thanks.
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Tuesday, December 08, 2015 - 9:45 am
Please send the output, data, and your license number to support@statmodel.com.
Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: