Factor determinacy PreviousNext
Mplus Discussion > Exploratory Factor Analysis >
Message/Author
 cchien posted on Thursday, July 01, 2010 - 7:51 am
Hi,

When I used Mplus 5 previously, the output of EFA contained the factor determinacy, but recently I found this part does not appear in the output by Mplus 6. Was the factor determinacy removed in version 6? Or say...do I need to add any additional syntax to make it show in the output? There is no clue in the latest user's guide.
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Thursday, July 01, 2010 - 7:54 am
The factor determinacy for factors with categorical outcomes was removed from Version 6 because it does not have the same meaning as for factors with continuous outcomes.
 CMP posted on Monday, March 23, 2015 - 1:09 am
I ran an ESEM and extracted 3 factors with the following factor determinacy:
F1 = 0.658; F2 = 0.423; F3 = 0.954
I know that the quality of the factor scores of F1 and F2 do not look great, but the items mostly loaded on to the factors as expected and the model fit was acceptable: RMSEA = 0.061 [0.057 0.065]; CFI = 0.857; SRMR =0.049. My chi-square was SG but I did not take it into account as my N=401.
My question:
Is it OK to use the 3 factors (though F3 determinacy is pretty low) in the structural part of my ESEM where I test the relationship of these factors with some predictors? I noticed that we cannot ignore any factor in the model specified. Are there specific criteria of when determinacy is too low?
Thanking you in advance for your response.
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Monday, March 23, 2015 - 11:09 am
I wouldn't worry so much about factor determinacy, but model fit. The CFI is poor and a significant chi-square can't really claim oversensitivity due to a large sample when you have only n=401.

The factor determinacy is mostly relevant if you work with estimated factor scores. It is true that a lower determinacy tends to give larger SEs for structural coefficients, but if you have signficant structural coefficients it may not hurt.
 CMP posted on Monday, March 23, 2015 - 12:27 pm
Thank you for your response.

1) OK. So the chi-square and the CFI are not good. Do you think this model (given the RMSEA and SRMR) is defendable based on substantive grounds: the items are loading as expected though there are cross loadings, which are explainable.

2) In the structural part of my model, the factors (meaning factor scores?) were regressed on predictors. Should I be worried here about the low factor determinancy?

Your help is much appreciated.
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Monday, March 23, 2015 - 2:32 pm
1) I would ask what the fit of the ESEM model is and understand why the fit is - presumable - worse for the CFA based on it.

2) Not if you have small enough SEs to show significance.
 Jorge Mahecha posted on Wednesday, July 04, 2018 - 7:46 am
Greetings, everyone.

I am running an EFA with categorical indicators using Mplus 8.1 for Mac.

I need the item's information (the one that is used instead of the factor determinacies).

How do I obtain this data?

Thanks.
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Wednesday, July 04, 2018 - 4:29 pm
Factor determinacy is for continuous factor indicators. With categorical ones, you typically look at information curves (just like in IRT) which you can plot in Mplus.
 Jorge Mahecha posted on Wednesday, July 04, 2018 - 5:28 pm
Yes, indeed. My actual question is how do I plot that in Mplus 8.1 for Mac. If that is not an option, I'd like to get the data in the output so I can do the plot.

My actual question is about the command(s) I need to use.

Many thanks.
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Thursday, July 05, 2018 - 9:41 am
Use the R function:

mplus.plot.irt.iic

See our web page:

http://www.statmodel.com/mplus-R/
Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: