MPLUS sample size limitation PreviousNext
Mplus Discussion > Exploratory Factor Analysis >
Message/Author
 Magdalena  posted on Monday, December 26, 2005 - 7:03 pm
I have tried to conduct exploratory and confirmatory factor analyses with mplus 3.0, using a sample of 8783 subjects. Whenever I try to do this, I get an error message " Unexpected end of file reached in data file." This is only solved if I reduce the sample size. Is there a way around this problem?
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Tuesday, December 27, 2005 - 7:54 am
You must be reading your data incorrectly. The message means that Mplus is not finding the amount of data expected based on the number of variables in the NAMES statement of the DATA command. It is most likely that you have blanks in your data. Blanks are not allowed with free format. If you cannot figure this out, send your input, data, output, and license number to support@statmodel.com.
 Boliang Guo posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 3:39 am
Hi Linda,I simulated large scale date with multilevel 2-group cfa code, then,test multilevel mixture model with knownclass (2 classes), the mixture code first say there is missing value in training variable in observation 1, I am confused after checking, surely there is no missing, if I remove observation 1, the mixture code will say 'unexpected end of file reached in data file'. the data can be run with multiple group code, which mean the data has no problem, what I lost here please? I tested with both txt and dat format.
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 6:33 am
Please send your files and license number to support@statmodel.com. It sounds like you are not reading your data correctly.
 Nicole Stanoff posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 4:40 pm
When trying to run analyses, I recieve the error message
"Unexpected end of file reached in data file." How can I fix this problem?
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 8:19 am
It sounds like you have blanks in your data set and are reading it free format. You need to add a format statement or change the blanks to some other value. If you can't figure this out, you should send your input, data, output, and license number to support@statmodel.com.
 Arianna White posted on Wednesday, June 26, 2019 - 8:10 am
Hi there,

I'm getting the "unexpected end of file reached in data file" error, but I can see in my .dat file that the data is present. There are no variable names in the file either. Are there other common issues that cause this error message?

Thank you!
Arianna
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Wednesday, June 26, 2019 - 10:52 am
There are two reasons this may occur: more variable names in the NAMES statement than columns in the data set or blanks in the data set. If you can't see the problem,send the output, data set, and your license number to support@statmodel.com.
Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: