Java PreviousNext
Mplus Discussion > Confirmatory Factor Analysis >
Message/Author
 Felicia Gibson posted on Thursday, March 07, 2013 - 9:19 am
I have run a CFA and need to look at the diagrams, but it will not let me. It says that Java needs to be updated. Is there a way to view the diagrams without java?
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Thursday, March 07, 2013 - 12:14 pm
No, the Diagrammer requires the most recent version of Java.
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Thursday, March 07, 2013 - 1:25 pm
Note that Java is free.
 Christopher Rakes posted on Friday, June 14, 2013 - 8:56 am
I received a similar message even though I had Java downloaded. I finally got the solution, and the problem was with java, not with mplus. It turned out that some miscommunication between my registry cleaning software (RegCure Pro) and my antivirus software (Norton 360) prevented the computer from recognizing that java was present, even after I had ensured that java was activated in every place possible (java control panel, IE browser options, Chrome browser options).

The solution that ended up working was to (1) uninstall every version of java from the control panel; (2) re-run the registry cleaning program; (3) restart the computer; (4) re-install java. After I did all that, the diagrammer in mplus is working just fine.
 k posted on Thursday, June 20, 2013 - 1:35 pm
Installing 64-bit Java may also help:

http://www.java.com/en/download/faq/java_win64bit.xml
 Ian Koh posted on Wednesday, September 25, 2013 - 9:45 pm
Hello.

I have a 64-bit version of Mplus 7 and I've just installed a 64-bit version of Java (the most recent one). Yet, I still get an error message about Mplus needing the most recent version of Java to run Diagrammer. What can I do to resolve this?
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Thursday, September 26, 2013 - 10:15 am
You should make sure that you have the 64-bit version of Java installed. In Control Panel’s Programs listing, the 64-bit version of Java will be listed as

Java 7 Update 25 (64-bit)

If you don’t see the “(64-bit)” part, then you only have the 32-bit version of Java installed. Note that you need to use a 64-bit browser to download the 64-bit version of Java.
 Samuel Johnson posted on Friday, April 10, 2015 - 3:26 pm
I am running MPlus 7.3 for Mac, and recently updated to Mac OS 10.10.2 (Yosemite).

Before this, my MPlus had been running. After the OS update, Mplus will not open, telling me I need to install Java 6.

I currently have the most up to date version, Java 8 Update 40.

I wonder if this may have to do with issues listed above. Please let me know if you have any advice.
 Thuy Nguyen posted on Friday, April 10, 2015 - 5:50 pm
The Mplus Editor on the Mac uses the legacy Java 6 provided by Apple. It does not use the latest version of Java from Oracle. You can install Java 6 from Apple.

If you are not comfortable installing and using Java 6 from Apple, you can use the Mplus Diagrammer instead of the Mplus Editor. The Mplus Diagrammer does everything that can be done in the Mplus Editor. You do not need to use diagramming features to use the Mplus Diagrammer. You can use it for its editor features only.
 Nicola Judd posted on Sunday, September 18, 2016 - 11:59 pm
Good Morning,
I am having issues similar to those above. I can no longer open MPlus diagrams, I receive the following error "The MPlus diagrammer for the 64 bit version of MPlus needs java 64 bit to run. Please download it from http://www.java.com".
I have tried uninstalling old versions of Java and re-installing the latest version, (64bit, version 8, update 101) however still receive the same error.
Any help is much appreciated.
Thanks,
Nicola.
 Thuy Nguyen posted on Monday, September 19, 2016 - 11:10 am
Verify that you actually have Java 64-bit. Go to Programs under Control Panel and check the Java listing. If it is 64-bit, you will see "(64-bit)" at the end of the program name. If not, then you only have Java 32-bit installed.

Note that if you use your browser to download Java, it will default to the version of the browser (most likely 32-bit). You will need to go to the Download link, then the "See all Java downloads". Then find the link for Windows Offline (64-bit).

You can have both Java 32-bit and Java 64-bit installed.
 Nicola Judd posted on Thursday, September 22, 2016 - 5:08 am
Thanks very much Thuy Nguyen. This was a slightly different way to do it than I'd tried previously and it worked! Much appreciated.
Nicola.
 Manuel Martin-Fernandez posted on Tuesday, September 27, 2016 - 4:21 am
Hello,

In my case, I have the last version of java (“Java 8 Update 101 (64-bit)”) and also de the 64-bit version of Mplus. I have verified this in the Program list of the Control Panel. I have also tried to uninstall and re-install the latest version of java (downloaded in a 64-bit browser too). However, I still get the “No Java?” error message, needing the latest version of java to run the diagram plots. Any advice?
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Tuesday, September 27, 2016 - 6:18 am
Send a screen shot of the problem, the screenshot showing that 64-bit is installed and your license number to support@statmodel.com.
Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: