Error message PreviousNext
Mplus Discussion > Confirmatory Factor Analysis >
Message/Author
 Bruno Chauvin posted on Thursday, November 27, 2014 - 2:54 am
Hello,
I am running a CFA with categorical variables.
VARIABLE: NAMES ARE y1-y18;
CATEGORICAL ARE y1-y18;
MODEL: f1 BY y1-y3;
f2 BY y4-y6;
f3 BY y7-y10;
f4 BY y11-y14;
f5 BY y15-y18;

I am receiving the following error:
Categorical variable Y6 contains less than 2 categories.

I have double checked the data and the variable Y6 contains more than two categories. Also, there are no blank cells in my data set.

When I run the same analysis without the "categorical variables" note, I receive another error message:
One or more variables have a variance of zero.

I have also noted that Mplus reports that some variables have peculiar variances, sometimes 20 times higher than other variances

I have double checked the data and no variables have a variance of zero or 20 times higher

I have also tried deleting these variables but the error repeats with the next variable in the model. It sounds like a "shift" between the variances that SPSS reports and the variances that Mplus reports.

See below for an example:
SPSS
Variance y1 = .495
Variance y2 = .367
Mplus
Variance y1 = .497 = variance y1 SPSS
Variance y2 = 24.899 ??
Variance y3 = .367 = variance y2 SPSS

Thank you in advance for your help.
 Hin Kwan Wong posted on Thursday, November 27, 2014 - 3:13 am
Sounds to me the data file? May be that the data file contains string or incorrectly formatted data. Try loading it up in Excel, force all data to be numerical, and save it again (Mplus can't handle strings with few exceptions).
 Bruno Chauvin posted on Thursday, November 27, 2014 - 5:00 am
Hi Hin Kwan Wong, Hi everyone
Thank you for your answer.
The problem actually was the data file. The data set from SPSS contained numbers with two decimals (e.g."2,00" instead of "2"). Once these decimals are deleted, it is working.
Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: