Latent variable by categorical and co... PreviousNext
Mplus Discussion > Confirmatory Factor Analysis >
Message/Author
 Fujiao Xie posted on Friday, November 27, 2015 - 9:58 am
Dear All,
I have a question on how to interpret the factor loading of the latent variable indicated by both categorical and continuous variables in the measurement model.

In the measurement model (CFA), the latent variable is indicated by 4 categorical variables and 2 continuous variables. The Mplus setup one categorical variable as fixed 1.

After ran the model in Mplus, I got a factor loading for each variables of the latent variable. Now how can I interpret the factor loading of 4 categorical variables and 2 continuous variables? Please help!

Thanks!
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Friday, November 27, 2015 - 12:37 pm
If you are using WLSMV, the factor loadings for the categorical indicators are probit regression coefficients. The factor loadings for the continuous indicators are linear regression coefficients.
 Fujiao Xie posted on Friday, November 27, 2015 - 1:42 pm
Thank you, Linda!
Further question is:
In this measurement model, the latent variable is indicated by both categorical variables and continuous variables. what's the rule to setup one of the indicators fix to 1? Do I need choose one of the categorical variable fix to 1, or one of the continuous variables?
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Friday, November 27, 2015 - 4:04 pm
There is no rule. Choosing a continuous variable may make the interpretation simpler.
 Kalliopi Vrotsou posted on Wednesday, September 28, 2016 - 1:05 am
Hi there,
I am fitting a one-factor CFA model in MPlus with 1 continuous indicator (values 0-10, and skewed distribution) and 10 categorical variables (4-option Likert). My sample is n=106 subjects. I have used ULSMV and all seems OK.
However,I came across a comment about this estimation method and now wondering whether it is indeed OK to combine continuous and categorical indicators with ULSMV.

thanks a lot
k.
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Wednesday, September 28, 2016 - 6:17 am
Yes, it is.
Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: