CFA with MAX function PreviousNext
Mplus Discussion > Confirmatory Factor Analysis >
Message/Author
 Anna Westermair posted on Monday, March 30, 2020 - 3:01 am
Dear all,
I want to do a CFA on the Quick Inventory of Depressive Symptoms, which has a rather peculiar scoring instruction: of several items, only the item with the highest values is considered, and then added up with other items to yield a sum score. For example: sleep = MAX(difficulty falling asleep, waking up during the night, waking up very early, sleeping too much)
QIDS sum score = SUM (sleep, appetite, interest, mood, suicidality,....)
All items have a four point Likert scale, I have 2000 cases.

This scoring instruction makes sense as a lot of the items measure opposites (you cannot sleep to little and too much). Also, I believe the developers wanted the symptom domains (sleep, appetite, psychomotor symptoms) to have the same weight as symptoms that are measured with a single item (e.g. loss of interest, low mood).

I am unsure how to convert this scoring instruction into mplus code. I could compute the symptom domains in SPSS and then do the CFA in mplus, but then I couldn't test whether this method fits the data better than treating all original items the same (which has been proposed) because the two models wouldn't be nested. I could do a second-order CFA with sleep, appetite and psychomotor symptoms as first order factors, but this doesn't accurately depict the original scoring instruction.

I would be very grateful for any ideas or hints!
Anna
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Monday, March 30, 2020 - 4:14 pm
I think this question would be good for SEMNET.
Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: