When I run my CFA, the error below is reported. I have saved the SPSS data set as .dat and .csv (write names of variables is unchecked). This error occurs for both files. This number (16197) is similar to the sample size. I have also examined the SPSS data set and cannot find any indication of why this error is occurring. Any thoughts are appreciated!
*** ERROR Categorical variable U1 contains 16197 categories. This exceeds the maximum allowed of 10.
Data: FILE IS C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\dissertation\stats\CFA mplus.dat;
You probably have blanks in the data set and are reading it free format. Blanks are not allowed with free format data. SPSS seems to use blanks for certain types of missing data.
Lisa M Boyd posted on Friday, October 28, 2011 - 1:55 pm
I'm having a similar problem with Stata data that I've transferred to .dat format using the 'stata2mplus' command. The error message says one of my variables has 11 categories, even though according to Stata it only has 3 (dichotomous plus missing). Any ideas about how I might identify the problem?
The data reading specifications must be set up incorrectly. Check that the number of variable names matches the number of columns in the data set and that the order of the names corresponds to the order of the columns. If this does not help, please send the output, data, and your license number to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Emily posted on Wednesday, February 29, 2012 - 9:39 am
Hi, am having the same problem importing a categorical variable from STATA using the 'stata2mplus' command. The error message says one of my variables has 11,396 categories, even though according to Stata it only has 2(dichotomous plus missing). 11,396 is the number of induvidual records. I've tried compressing the data but this did not solve it. Do you now have a fix for this?
Emily posted on Thursday, March 01, 2012 - 7:05 am
Thanks Dr Muthen I solved this on my own. I outsheeted from stata as a csv file, filled in my missing values as -9999 and removed the variable name headers and imported direct into mplus as a csv file without problem without using stata2mplus. Hope this solution might help others with the same issue.
I'm running into the same problem with my file which is imported from SPSS. I have severeal missing data, but only two of the items are tagged with too many categories. Since previous posts mentioned it may have something to do with blanks, I tried removing all of the rows with missing data, but even with no missing data, the same two items caused problems with too many categories. I do ESEM, btw.