SRMR fit index for order categorical ... PreviousNext
Mplus Discussion > Confirmatory Factor Analysis >
Message/Author
 Chris Mathyssek posted on Thursday, May 03, 2012 - 8:58 am
Dear Drs. Muthén,
is it possible in MPlus to obtain the SRMR fit index for a measurement model with ordinal categorical variables and the WLSM estimator? If not, is it at all possible to obtain or calculate the SRMR for ordinal data? Thanks!
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Friday, May 04, 2012 - 9:59 am
I believe we do SRMR for ordinal variables. It is not done for models with thresholds or covariates however. The default is to include thresholds. You can add MODEL = NOMEANSTRUCTURE to the ANALYSIS command to avoid having thresholds in the model.
 Cesar Daniel Costa Ball posted on Monday, August 13, 2018 - 3:34 pm
HI: How to calculate the SRMR with the mplus program?
 Tihomir Asparouhov posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2018 - 9:11 am
It is already computed for you and you should be able to locate it in the output, but make sure you use Mplus 8.1.

http://www.statmodel.com/download/SRMR2.pdf
 Cesar Daniel Costa Ball posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2018 - 11:13 am
Thanks, I updated the program. I found it.
 Ryan Veal posted on Sunday, October 27, 2019 - 8:15 pm
Hello Professor Muthen,

I ran a series of EFA and ESEM for ordered categorical variables, and as expected, had identical factor loadings and parameters, as well as identical model fit indices. The one exception was SRMR, which had values of a slightly lower magnitude for the ESEM models.

Can you propose a reason why this would be the SRMR values would be lower in the ESEM compared to the EFA models?

Thanks,
Ryan
 Tihomir Asparouhov posted on Monday, October 28, 2019 - 10:25 am
Take a look at
http://www.statmodel.com/download/SRMR2.pdf
and compare formula (1) and (4). This is for the continuous case but for the categorical, see Section 2.7, is similar.

The denominator is different. In EFA there is no mean structure. In ESEM, you can have mean structure, even though you didn't. Since in ESEM mean structure is included in the SRMR definition, and is fitted perfectly you get lower value (same S, bigger denominator).
 Ryan Veal posted on Monday, October 28, 2019 - 3:21 pm
Hello Dr Asparouhov,

Excellent, thank you for clarifying.

Cheers,
Ryan
Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: