XWITH and Baron & Kenny PreviousNext
Mplus Discussion > Structural Equation Modeling >
Message/Author
 Richard Wonner posted on Monday, November 10, 2014 - 11:20 pm
Hello all,

I am using XWITH to test for moderating effects which works fine. Now I am writing on the technical part of my thesis and am not sure if I completely know what MPlus is doing when doing analysis with XWITH. I read that modelling moderating effects in covariance based software is a problem as they are working with the premise that the error terms of the indicator variables are uncorrelated. Thus I have three questions:

1. Does MPlus work with moderation as described by Baron & Kenny or does it apply a different approach. If so which and where can I read about it?
2. How does MPlus work “around” the premis of uncorrelated error terms of indicator variables – is there a paper I can read about it?

Thanks a lot!
Richard
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2014 - 12:43 pm
1. The approach used by Mplus is described in the Klein and Moosbrugger article cited in the user's guide. The elgorithm is slightly different. See also:

Moosbrugger, H., Schermelleh-Engel, K., Kelava; A. & Klein, A. G (2009). Testing multiple nonlinear effects in structural equation modeling: A comparison of alternative estimation approaches. Invited Chapter in T. Teo & M. S. Khine (Eds.), Structural Equation Modelling in Educational Research: Concepts and Applications. Rotterdam, NL: Sense Publishers.

2. This is not as issue with the approach Mplus uses.

For a comparison of the ML versus the product approach, see an article by Marsh et a. in Psych Methods several years ago.
Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: