Residuals and Interactions PreviousNext
Mplus Discussion > Structural Equation Modeling >
Message/Author
 John Venz posted on Friday, April 29, 2016 - 9:10 am
Dear Mr. and Mrs. Muthen,
I ran the follwoing SEM model including only continuous variables, and one second-order latent factor:

f1 BY i1 i2 i3;
f2 BY i4 i5 i6;
f3 BY i7 i8 i9;
Gen BY f1 f2 f3;

[...]

Out ON Ind Gen f1res f2res f3res;

where Out and Ind are observed variables and f1res, f2res, f3res are the residuals corresponding to f1, f2, f3 constructed according to Mplus FAQ "Regressing on a residual".
According to the output I got and to my own thougts, this model seems not identified. However, if I define Type=Random and add Interaction Terms to the model,

IndxGen | Ind XWITH Gen;
Indxf1res | Ind XWITH f1res;
Out ON Ind Gen f1res f2res f3res;
Out ON IndxGen Indxf1res;

then the model terminates fine with no problems at all and the results do make sense. However, I am wondering how trustworthy the results are if the 'main effects model' is not even identified.

Could you give a hint/reference, both intuitively and mathematically, how this is possible? Furthermore, do the results from the 'interacton model' make sense from a statistical viewpoint?(or are they unstable, probably not replicable?)

Alls this occurs if both analysis (the ones with and without interactions) are done with TYPE=RANDOM, ALGORITHM=INTEGRATION, ESTIMATOR=MLR.

Thank you very much.
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Saturday, April 30, 2016 - 6:07 am
I would first figure out why the main effects model is not identified. Make sure that your residual factors are specified as uncorrelated with the other factors for instance.
Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: