Computationally demanding models PreviousNext
Mplus Discussion > Latent Variable Mixture Modeling >
Message/Author
 Miriam Forbes posted on Sunday, September 23, 2012 - 10:44 pm
Dear Linda and Bengt,

I'm currently trying to run a mixture model (with two classes and two factors) on twelve continuous variables.
Model:
%overall%
c1-c2 by phq1tot-fsd1tot;
f1 by phq1tot-pds1tot;
f2 by sfq1drev-fsd1tot;
[f1-f2@0];
%c#1%
f1-f2;
f1 with f2;
[phq1tot-fsd1tot];
%c#2%
f1-f2*;
f1 with f2;
[phq1tot-fsd1tot];

On my computer, I get the following warning:
*** FATAL ERROR
THERE IS NOT ENOUGH MEMORY SPACE TO RUN Mplus ON THE CURRENT INPUT FILE. THE ANALYSIS REQUIRES 4 DIMENSIONS OF INTEGRATION RESULTING IN A TOTAL OF 0.50625E+05 INTEGRATION POINTS. THIS MAY BE THE CAUSE OF THE MEMORY SHORTAGE. YOU CAN TRY TO FREE UP SOME MEMORY BY CLOSING OTHER APPLICATIONS THAT ARE CURRENTLY RUNNING. NOTE THAT THE MODEL MAY
REQUIRE MORE MEMORY THAN ALLOWED BY THE OPERATING SYSTEM.

On a more powerful computer, the analysis starts with a "Critical Warning" for memory shortage. I was wondering if an even more powerful computer would be a good solution to the problem? A two class, one factor model takes about three weeks to run on our current computer, but my supervisor is unsure whether a better computer will overcome these issues.

All the best,

Miriam
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Monday, September 24, 2012 - 11:53 am
Try

INTEGRATION = MONTECARLO (5000);
 Miriam Forbes posted on Thursday, September 27, 2012 - 6:03 pm
Thanks Linda. I was also wondering how many processors MPlus can use? At the moment I have process=2(starts);

Thanks again for your help,

Miriam
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Friday, September 28, 2012 - 5:47 am
There is no limit to the number of processors that can be used. But there is a limit to the amount of memory. See the PROCESSORS option in the new user's guide.
 Miriam Forbes posted on Sunday, September 30, 2012 - 7:20 am
Thanks Linda
Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: