LCA vs cluster analysis PreviousNext
Mplus Discussion > Latent Variable Mixture Modeling >
Message/Author
 Jan Ivanouw posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 7:29 am
Please, I am wondering about the following:

What is the difference between Latent Class Analysis and the old method 'cluster analysis' (which for instance is implemented in SPSS)?
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 7:58 am
LCA is a type of cluster analysis but not the same as what is in SPSS. See Chapter 3 of the following book:

Hagenaars and McCutcheon (2002). Applied Latent Class Analysis.
 Jan Ivanouw posted on Sunday, June 08, 2008 - 3:33 am
Thank you for the clarification

Jan Ivanouw
 Ana Maria Vedes Pacheco posted on Friday, March 15, 2013 - 4:25 pm
Dear Mrs. Muthen,

I have a dyadic data set (N=157 couples) and I have two main goals:

1) create a profile, separately, for females and males based on 6 continuous variables.

2) see how these profiles predict several continuous outcomes.

For 1) I tried:

a) two step cluster analysis and latent class analysis. The results of the cluster analysis were more sound.
So I have 2 clusters for females and males. To
answer goal 2) i would like to insert the clusters as predictors of my independent variables.
And finally test a mediation model inserting a continuous variable.

I wonder how can I do this analysis?
Is this a path analysis with categorical variables as predictors? If yes, where can I find an example of Mplus input.

Thank you in advance.
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Friday, March 15, 2013 - 4:40 pm
Using the latent classes in the modeling is like doing multiple-group analysis. Eacb group/class can have its own parameters such as means, intercepts and regression slopes.

Note that you don't say "y ON c". Instead, this implies that the y means vary across the c classes.

So, the Mplus setup is straightforward. In addition to your latent class indicators you add the variables in your regression relationships and let those variable parameters vary across the classes.
Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: