Singular inf matrix probs for gmm w/b... PreviousNext
Mplus Discussion > Latent Variable Mixture Modeling >
Message/Author
 Bruce A. Cooper posted on Monday, November 07, 2011 - 12:23 pm
Hi Linda -
I'm estimating a GMM with MLR for pain occurrence as a binary variable across 7 months. I'm getting conceptually very interesting results, but in trying to finalize the 3-class and especially the 4-class solutions, I keep getting errors that result from (at least partly), classes that keep shifting in order. One problem is that the L and Q slope estimates are sometimes astoundingly big (and I don't know how they are scaled). For example, in the most recent problematic model, the problem class has S= 539.098 and Q= -269.345 and the program fixed Q (threshold is 1.723). But what is that S?!? But S is large for another class also (8.117). Basically, the primary problem class has no pain at baseline, 100% with pain at month 2, then a steep decline in the probability of pain over months 3-7. Any help with these estimates and how to keep the classes in order would be great! Thanks, Bruce
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Monday, November 07, 2011 - 1:51 pm
Please send the output and your license number to support@statmodel.com.
 Bruce A. Cooper posted on Monday, November 14, 2011 - 11:28 am
Thanks, Linda -

So the 2nd class in my 4-C model starts at close to a P=0, then goes to P=1 at T2, then returns to P=0 by T4. They represent a meaningful class. (1) How can I model the group? I can't fix the S and Q to e(logit) = infinity or minus infinity. (2) Can I estimate a mixture model for these data with a piecewise approach? If so, what would the model look like, taking off from

i s q | bpn1m0@0 bpn1m1@1 bpn1m2@2 bpn1m3@3 bpn1m4@4 bpn1m5@5 bpn1m6@6 ;

I specified a model with the 2nd piece beginning at T4 and got interesting est & plots.

i1 s1 q1 | bpn1m0@0 bpn1m1@1 bpn1m2@2 bpn1m3@3 bpn1m4@4 bpn1m5@5 bpn1m6@6 ;

i2 s2 q2 | bpn1m0@0 bpn1m1@0 bpn1m2@0 bpn1m3@1 bpn1m4@2 bpn1m5@3 bpn1m6@4 ;

Before I encourage a migraine, does this look right?

Thanks!
Bruce
 Linda K. Muthen posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2011 - 9:32 am
You should not do anything. You should simply describe the class.
Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: