Limitation to Latent Transition Analysis PreviousNext
Mplus Discussion > Growth Modeling of Longitudinal Data >
Message/Author
 Siny Tsang posted on Friday, November 14, 2014 - 3:05 pm
Hello,

I am trying to fit a LTA model to data that consists of 22 dichotomous items, each measured 8 times. I was wondering if there is a limitation with respect to the size of the contingency table for conducting LTA?

I got the 2-class model to run, but the 3-class model seems to be stuck at reading the input file; the iterations of estimation have yet started.

I was wondering if you have any suggestions?

Thanks!
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Saturday, November 15, 2014 - 2:42 pm
8 time points is heavy for LTA even if you had fewer items per time point than your 22. You can try the following approach:

1. Analyze each time point separately using LCA and save estimates using the SVALUES option. These runs should use many STARTS.

2. Put together the SVALUES for a joint LTA run of all time points, making sure that the classes are ordered in the same way, specifying measurement invariance, and requesting STARTS = 0.

This may still give slow computations in which case you want to simplify by first trying fewer time points, say 1st and 8th; 1st, 4th, and 8th; etc.
Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: