Model fit and estimating covariates i... PreviousNext
Mplus Discussion > Growth Modeling of Longitudinal Data >
Message/Author
 Lauren Gonzalves posted on Friday, May 01, 2020 - 3:51 pm
I ran a latent growth curve model with gender as the only time-invariant covariate and the fit was adequate (CFI/TLI: .96/.97) When I added several time-varying covariates to predict the latent outcome variables at various waves, mplus used listwise deletion and my N dropped by 150 participants. I asked for a parameter estimate of the observed covariates to force mplus to use the full N.

The output showed that mlplus did use the full N but the fit became much worse (CFI/TLI: .32/.28). Why did this happen? Can it be fixed? Is there another way to use full estimation of the full sample without sacrificing fit?

Thank you!
 Bengt O. Muthen posted on Friday, May 01, 2020 - 4:36 pm
The worse fit is probably due to some of the time-varying covariates having direct effects on some of the indicators of your latent outcome variables. That is, measurement non-invariance. It is likely not a function of how the missing data is handled.
 Lauren Gonzalves posted on Friday, May 01, 2020 - 4:59 pm
Okay, thank you so much! That is definitely helpful.

In my initial post, I forgot to include that the when I entered the time-varying covariates in the model (without the parameter estimation of the observed x-variables), the fit remained very good (and this was with the reduced N). It was only once I asked for the means of the x-variables (to get the full estimation and deal with the listwise deletion) that the fit substantially worsened.

Do you think this is still due to measurement non-variance or something else?

Thank you again!
Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: